The Phunnay Video Thread (formerly Funny YouTube Videos)

ED

As with most things it depends on the intent. The word Paki is no different in it's construction to the word Aussie. Yet one is offensive and one isn't.

For decades some 'nick-names' have been used with venom and hatred so it's no wonder why they are now classed as derogatory. I'd imagine that if everyone who spoke my actual name did so with hatred in their voice, I'd eventually hate my own name as a word!

Other 'nick-names' have been used with neutrality or even warmth and tend to be still acceptable.

I have no idea where 'Lebo' sits in this though!

As with most things it depends on the intent. The word Paki is no different in it's construction to the word Aussie. Yet one is offensive and one isn't.

For decades some 'nick-names' have been used with venom and hatred so it's no wonder why they are now classed as derogatory. I'd imagine that if everyone who spoke my actual name did so with hatred in their voice, I'd eventually hate my own name as a word!

Other 'nick-names' have been used with neutrality or even warmth and tend to be still acceptable.

I have no idea where 'Lebo' sits in this though!

It's definitely been used in an offensive manner. And by extra special people who call it to people of indian descent.. clearly not pakistani.

True. Paki is not a slur in the slightest here, it's just how we refer to the Pakistani cricket team, no different than Windies or Kiwis.

Lebo is definitely a slur here though, although as you say, a lot of it is to do with intent, but in Sydney where there are large communities of Lebanese people and xenophobia rules the waves it can get you into quite a bit of trouble.

"Wogs" used to be a slur aimed at Italians and Greeks (mostly), then the wogs started calling each other wogs in a fun way and the slur lost its sting. To say something is woggy or call someone a wog is generally harmless fun these days unless there is a bit of a sting in the tail.

Lebo is definitely a slur here though, although as you say, a lot of it is to do with intent, but in Sydney where there are large communities of Lebanese people and xenophobia rules the waves it can get you into quite a bit of trouble.

Yeah, Sydney was the only place I've heard people use the word 'lebo', and it never seemed like a term of endearment.

are sterling comedy props.

Funny, but the videos description has enraged me

"da guy doesnt knos nytin bout da treadmill.! da speed increaser suddenly goes out of order..! wwatch out da rest of it..... u will die laughin! aahhaha"

Â