Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

He is fine on the ball, not elite but not some clogger as people think. Problem is that he has nearly always been designated the ball playing centre back here except when paired with Chambers so his mistakes are magnified as we have little movement in front and his defensive partners usually dont want to engage

I like Tyrone, his attitude, and commitment cannot be faulted and he comes across as a decent person as well.

This said I don’t think we can ignore that he does have a mistake in him, which has proved costly to us - also I feel there are times, when his passing could be more measured.

But then again in our current position could we do any better ? Possibly not - it’s when/if we start to climb the league, that I feel he will be wanting.

For now - he is our best defender.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, av1 said:

Exactly. I don’t think Mings is particularly bad on the ball. He hoofs it a lot because there is rarely any movement infront of him. 

and maybe because so many people (including fans of his own team) keep telling him he's shit and makes mistakes (even those that aren't actual mistakes) so he hoofs it for fear of making an actual mistake

• Like 2

Thing with Tyrone, not only do mistakes get highlighted more in his area but when we're under pressure so much, like we have been for 12 months your far more likely to get those situations crop up. 

It's much easier to look cool, calm and collected when your team is generally winning, on the front foot, retaining the ball and generally under far less pressure, the midfield soaks up more of the pressure situations. 

I think we'll see a far far better Mings as the whole team improves generally. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

I really think Konsa is far more in trouble with this than Mings if honest.

They both are

Neither of them are good enough if we want to push for Europe

Edited by Pinebro

On 02/11/2022 at 17:23, Zatman said:

every player has a mistake in him though, just defenders are highlighted more

And it's highlighted more, when a player actually makes more? As Tyrone does. He's a good player but he does make a lot of mistakes.

8 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

And it's highlighted more, when a player actually makes more? As Tyrone does. He's a good player but he does make a lot of mistakes.

And those mistakes will only increase if Unai want to play out from the back which is why I think he could struggle.

Would love to be proven wrong.

Edited by Pinebro

13 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

And those mistakes will only increase if Unai want to play out from the back which is why I think he could struggle.

Would love to be proven wrong.

agree but also think the bigger part of our problem with playing out from the back is people in front of the 2 CBs showing for the ball

mings had no real problems when he had grealish in front of him for a 20 yard simple pass every game, whereas when the tactic was boot it over the fullbacks head in the general direction of watkins he unsurprisingly looked shit

its a shame that we still havent really got to see mings in a team with martinez, digne, carlos and kamara around him so we can properly judge what he's all about, instead we still have him scrambling around and booting it long

14 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

The top CBs in the league

Van Dijk is making a lot of mistakes this season and doesn't get called out. The issue is he doesnt do it with the ball. Leeds winner last week was dreadful

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Van Dijk is making a lot of mistakes this season and doesn't get called out. The issue is he doesnt do it with the ball. Leeds winner last week was dreadful

He is getting called out plenty this season, maybe not by the pundits.

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

it's really sad the number of our own fans that invent mistakes to throw at him. he's made only 1 mistake that has lead to an opponent shot.

i'm going to throw some more stats out there from this season. yes of course i'm picked the best ones, but there are no areas in which he is in among the worst in the team of. he's had a great season and long may it continue

clearances: 44 (rank #1 for the team)

shots blocked: 8 (rank #1)

interceptions: 15 (rank #1)

dribbled past: 1 (rank joint #2)

recoveries: 62 (rank #3)

the problem is the use of the word "mistake" said before a few times in here people are too happy to confuse bad defending, scrambling, bad positioning or even great attacking play as a mistake

strangely though they only confuse it when it comes to mings and not the other defenders....

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

the problem is the use of the word "mistake" said before a few times in here people are too happy to confuse bad defending, scrambling, bad positioning or even great attacking play as a mistake

strangely though they only confuse it when it comes to mings and not the other defenders....

for some people, it's everything with ty. every foul, even those that either shouldn't have been a foul or those that are done to break up dangerous attacks (as all the top CBs do), is a mistake.

Just now, tomav84 said:

for some people, it's everything with ty. every foul, even those that either shouldn't have been a foul or those that are done to break up dangerous attacks (as all the top CBs do), is a mistake.

i think the arsenal game sums it up

The first goal is somehow labelled a mistake by mings

The second goal is cash out of position....and to be fair i seem to remember a few even tried to pin the 2nd goal on him as another mistake because he wasnt tight enough on saka

they're both exactly the same, bad positioning and all round bad defending by the team but for whatever reason when mings is involved the word "mistake" is used whereas for cash and our non existent midfield which is the actual problem for both goals the word isnt used, it doesnt make sense

HIGHLIGHTS | Arsenal vs Aston Villa (2-1) | Gabriel Jesus and Martinelli make it five wins! - YouTube

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

First Leeds goal as well, was an awful pass by Gomez, but Van Djik was so slow to react. 2nd goal he just stood and watched, was like his speedskater impression earlier in the season against Man U.  

Watching the highlights from last weekend, Gabriel for Arsenal played a suicidal pass from his goal line to the penalty spot where Lingard was waiting unmarked; luckily Lingard is shit and didn't take advantage. No the first error Gabriel has made this season - watch his defending in the run up to Nunez's goal against them when they played Liverpool.

Thiago Silva got away with an unbelievable handball against Palace earlier in the season, (after being lax in possession and getting caught), Koulibaly was all over the place at the start of the season and got himself sent off against Leeds.

There are CB's making big errors all the time across the league, but not many get talked about like they do for Mings.

• Like 3

Â