Divers

Zatman

Probably the element of the playing side of the game I detest the most. It used to be when players shielded the ball out of play with no intention of playing it, that’s rather quaint these days.

Anyone got a notable example of a dive they always think of?

Can’t post it, but it’s on twitter if you want to see it, Paul Ince being sent off for a player pretending to have been hit by him while playing for Inter is up there for me. Genuinely incredible.

Search for “Paul Ince sent off Italy” if you’re curious.

the salah one tonight for me is a prime example of how refs cant win, if that goes to VAR its still being given, if it went to a retrospective panel they probably wouldnt ban him...no one stops and says yeah there is a shirt pull on his top right arm, yeah theres a little bit of contract on his left leg...but how the **** does that make his legs do that???

its a completely unnatural response to the contact, its a dive but they wont ever stop that kind of dive

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

the salah one tonight for me is a prime example of how refs cant win, if that goes to VAR its still being given, if it went to a retrospective panel they probably wouldnt ban him...no one stops and says yeah there is a shirt pull on his top right arm, yeah theres a little bit of contract on his left leg...but how the **** does that make his legs do that???

its a completely unnatural response to the contact, its a dive but they wont ever stop that kind of dive

This is it, and it’s the question that the ref / VAR need to ask themselves, “did the contact cause the reaction?”. Many times it’s a no, book the player, it’ll be carnage for a few weeks then it’ll settle down.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Probably the element of the playing side of the game I detest the most. It used to be when players shielded the ball out of play with no intention of playing it, that’s rather quaint these days.

I think there’s two things I dislike more than diving. 

Current number one dislike by a country mile is the “new art” of defending the ball. A defender is being chased in the direction of their own goal by an opposition attacker. When they know they’re under pressure and have a chance of losing the ball, they literally just stop, feel a slight touch in the back and collapse. It’s given as a free kick every single time. 

Secondly, and personally I’d have the ruling changed so you get red cards for it, is the shitty shirt pulls/trips that players do when the opposition is breaking. Known as “taking one for the team”. There’s absolutely no intent on playing the ball and it complete kills the counter attack.

Diving is a funny one, because you’ll often appreciate it when it’s one of your own players but hate an opposition player doing it. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Vardy with a pathetic dive yesterday, another of the games' serial divers. A pathetic player in many ways.

Except the one that matter which will make him go down in history as Leicester's greatest ever player. 

9 hours ago, Jimzk5 said:

This one still boils my piss, remember Lineker and a majority of pundits saying it was a clear pen as guzan came with his arms out and gave the ref no choice. 

that was the one for me when i knew it was gone and never coming back, it was a proper 50/50 split as to what it was

again for me VAR, disciplinary panel whatever anyone can come up with i dont trust them to get that decision right

11 hours ago, Jimzk5 said:

This one still boils my piss, remember Lineker and a majority of pundits saying it was a clear pen as guzan came with his arms out and gave the ref no choice. 

If was otherway around and Gabby or Weimann dived they would be called scum

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Well he is no Kante

Yes but he didn't hang around. Anyway I am not really bothered about divers myself. Its gone on for as long as I can remember. I find it just as annoying that penalties aren't given more regularly for grabbing and pulling shirts on corners. 

14 hours ago, bobzy said:

I think there’s two things I dislike more than diving. 

Current number one dislike by a country mile is the “new art” of defending the ball. A defender is being chased in the direction of their own goal by an opposition attacker. When they know they’re under pressure and have a chance of losing the ball, they literally just stop, feel a slight touch in the back and collapse. It’s given as a free kick every single time. 

Secondly, and personally I’d have the ruling changed so you get red cards for it, is the shitty shirt pulls/trips that players do when the opposition is breaking. Known as “taking one for the team”. There’s absolutely no intent on playing the ball and it complete kills the counter attack.

Diving is a funny one, because you’ll often appreciate it when it’s one of your own players but hate an opposition player doing it. 

I also hate this, with a passion. 

Would completely change the dynamic of the “top level” game aswell as the elite high pressing sides love a tactical foul once the initial press fails to prevent any kind of counter.

Its a weird one because I think a red would be too harsh in a lot of situations but a yellow doesn’t seem enough. Especially when they rotate the foulers and the opponents get very little oppourtunity to attack so its few and far between.

Edited by penguin
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, penguin said:

I also hate this, with a passion. 

Would completely change the dynamic of the “top level” game aswell as the elite high pressing sides love a tactical foul once the initial press fails to prevent any kind of counter.

Its a weird one because I think a red would be too harsh in a lot of situations but a yellow doesn’t seem enough. Especially when they rotate the foulers and the opponents get very little oppourtunity to attack so its few and far between.

Its the type of thing a sin bin is for. Think they do in rugby to stop cynicism

• Like 1

Â