Divers

Zatman

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

Didn’t think it looked like a dive?

He went to kick the ball, missed, then grabbed his leg as he fell for no apparent reason.

Weirdly, there were lots of video clips of this on twitter earlier, now I can't find any. Strange.

He is making a speciality of 'earning' penalities.

Completely unrelated, but I remember playing with a guy in my local town when he got his first professional contract. He was about 5 years older than me, but he taught me how they were taught to "create fouls" and dive. Essentially they while driving forward kicked their own leg to create a natural dive. I never felt the need of learning it, but I was amazed of how well it worked. I actually apologized one time cause I was sure I floored him and he just laughed it off saying he was taking the piss. 

My point here is just that it's a difficult job for the referees to spot it. Which is why I hoped VAR would assist in this bit. 

When they are that good at this in the Norwegian top division, I can't imagine how well drilled they are at dives in England. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

On 07/09/2019 at 22:14, Lichfield Dean said:

He went to kick the ball, missed, then grabbed his leg as he fell for no apparent reason.

Weirdly, there were lots of video clips of this on twitter earlier, now I can't find any. Strange.

He is making a speciality of 'earning' penalities.

Looked to me like his leg got clipped as he went to shoot, meaning he missed the ball and went down.  The same thing would happen to literally everyone (although how much it hurt etc. could obviously be exaggerated).

In any case, not a dive.

6 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Completely unrelated, but I remember playing with a guy in my local town when he got his first professional contract. He was about 5 years older than me, but he taught me how they were taught to "create fouls" and dive. Essentially they while driving forward kicked their own leg to create a natural dive. I never felt the need of learning it, but I was amazed of how well it worked. I actually apologized one time cause I was sure I floored him and he just laughed it off saying he was taking the piss. 

My point here is just that it's a difficult job for the referees to spot it. Which is why I hoped VAR would assist in this bit. 

When they are that good at this in the Norwegian top division, I can't imagine how well drilled they are at dives in England. 

Just like in everyday life.

Some people are happy to cheat, master the craft of lying and get away with it. Others are sickened by the idea in itself. 

https://global.espn.com/football/tottenham-hotspur/story/3937816/spurs-kane-ive-never-dived-in-my-career

Tottenham striker Harry Kane has said that he has never dived in his career, hitting back at claims that he has twice done so since the start of the season.

The England international, 26, was accused of diving late on to win a penalty against North London rivals Arsenal last weekend after a challenge from defender Sokratis Papastathopoulos. Kane was also accused of diving in Spurs' previous game against Newcastle, going down easily after a tackle from defender Jamaal Lascelles.

3a3n4i.jpg

Of course it had to be us that kickstarted his PL career after he scored a stoppage time free kick that deflected off Nathan Baker's head. Who knows what would have happened if that hadn't happened, he'd probably be at Reading or something after 5 more loan spells while at Spurs.

• 9 months later...
39 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Why does the prick Salah never get booked for diving 

It was typical yesterday Luiz did one in the box, That prick Souness “he should be ashamed of himself, that’s the worst I’ve ever seen”. Salah does two second half which were worse than Luiz, not even mentioned 

Edited by mikeyp102

• 7 months later...
8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Seems diving is no longer a yellow card. Great times

Was it ever? Dives happen in pretty much every game but how often have you ever seen a card for it? 

It's clear the authorities are either incompetent (which they are) or dont see diving as a problem. I think it's the latter, they see it as part of the game. "There was contact" now means it's a foul eventhough football is not a non contact sport. 

They now don't seem to care if contact brings people down.

Is there contact in any form? Yes? Well then if they fall over that's a pen.

Ridiculous bearing in mind refs won't give so many when someone is poleaxed if they "get the shot away", but go back 15 yards in the middle of the pitch for an advantage.

• Like 1

Â