Sign in to follow this  
sne

Winter Transfers 18/19

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, villa4europe said:

the thing with arnautovic for me is he's ok, he's a 7/10 player at best, linked with £40-50m moves to utd and chelsea? i know scouting in this country has gone to the dogs but **** me, he's 29 no resale value, 4 or 5 year contract which means you'll be stuck with him for the last 2 years of that deal with him good enough for 10 games a season mainly in the cups

if he wants to move then china is the one that makes sense, same with dembele (but to a lesser extent because im sure someone would have snapped him up on a free in the summer)

i think the other thing is its really easy to slap down the chinese league (and china in general) but in reality there are some really exciting world class cities to live in out there, i know he's in london but if someone was offering £200k a week to live in shanghai or beijing (dembele is beijing) id snap their hand off, your life would be incredible

Forgot to mention it in my post above but I always thought he was more effective for Stoke than Shaqiri.

If Aranutovic had stayed at Stoke I very much doubt they'd have got relegated.

He must be looking at Shaq ripping it up at Liverpool and shaking his head while he's stuck in mid table.

I agree he's inconsistant but on his day he's a very effective forward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My baggies mate at work says that the talk on their forum is that Barnes is back at Leicester's training ground today, with the rumour being that he may get recalled.

That would be hilarious, considering the stick he tried to give me when Tammy was on his way to Wolves.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

he's not a 35 game starter for a top 6 team though and players from the PL mid table teams have the issue that they are overvalued to the rest of europe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, sne said:

James Collins to Ipswich 6 month deal

James Collins one of first players bombed out of Villa by Lambert but desperately signing him now

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

Arnautovic has told West Ham he wants them to accept a bid of £36 million from China so he can move there. His brother (also his agent) has released a statement stating that West Ham bought him for peanuts (£20 million) to keep them up last year, he did that & it is now his great desire to go to a new market & challenge for titles.

West Ham are insane to turn that much money down for a player who's nearly 30 and won't have any resale value if the keep him. They won't go down or achieve anything this season so sell him now and then use the £36m to buy two new younger players next summer. It's a no brainer. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, villa89 said:

West Ham are insane to turn that much money down for a player who's nearly 30 and won't have any resale value if the keep him. They won't go down or achieve anything this season so sell him now and then use the £36m to buy two new younger players next summer. It's a no brainer. 

£12m and they could finally get Hogan from us :hooray:

£5m if they also take Whelan and Taylor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/01/2019 at 12:20, rodders0223 said:

I know it's a farmers league and all that, but Fabregas has really aged horribly and it's a desperate buy from Henry. For a man in his early thirties he can hardly move.

I would honestly back Whelan to beat him in a sprint.

3 and a half year contract 😳

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fabregas has been playing regular first team football at a very high level for 15 years now, he has more miles on the clock than most, it's no surprise that he has hit quite a steep decline. His contemporaries in similar positions also had around 15 years at a high level (e.g. Xavi and Iniesta) before moving on to worse leagues than Fabregas. 

So whilst at 31 you can say he has 'aged' badly, he's really where the likes of Xavi and Iniesta were after the same amount of 'miles on the clock'.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/01/2019 at 10:58, Zatman said:

James Collins one of first players bombed out of Villa by Lambert but desperately signing him now

Fair point, but it is also possible that Collins has matured himself, and isn't the guy he was seven years ago. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Fair point, but it is also possible that Collins has matured himself, and isn't the guy he was seven years ago. 

This is far too sensible a thing to say in this day and age.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Fair point, but it is also possible that Collins has matured himself, and isn't the guy he was seven years ago. 

Maybe but I wasnt a Collins fan but thought was stupid he was bombed out at the time with no clear replacement. Just seems desperate for Lambert to change his opinions now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/01/2019 at 16:44, Dr_Pangloss said:

Players going to China in the prime of their careers are a disgrace and it's down to pure greed, most of the 'big names' who go there already have earned enough to be more than comfortable for the rest of their lives.

It's basically retiring. 

You'll get the "well if someone offered to double your salary in your job, you'd take it so what is the problem" brigade coming out, entirely missing the point that someone going from lets say £50k a year to £100k a year is vastly different from someone going from £150k a week to £250k per week - the former has a huge impact on your life while the latter is additional wealth when you are already fantastically wealthy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Xela said:

It's basically retiring. 

You'll get the "well if someone offered to double your salary in your job, you'd take it so what is the problem" brigade coming out, entirely missing the point that someone going from lets say £50k a year to £100k a year is vastly different from someone going from £150k a week to £250k per week - the former has a huge impact on your life while the latter is additional wealth when you are already fantastically wealthy. 

Also has to factor in that a footballers career ends at about 35 while a normal person works for another 30 years or so.

I can certainly see why someone who is not going to win anything at the club they are at, and is good but not quite world class would choose to move there.

Not all footballers remain passionate throughout the whole of their careers, if they even were to begin with. It's a job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, sne said:

Also has to factor in that a footballers career ends at about 35 while a normal person works for another 30 years or so.

I can certainly see why someone who is not going to win anything at the club they are at, and is good but not quite world class would choose to move there.

Not all footballers remain passionate throughout the whole of their careers, if they even were to begin with. It's a job.

They have a shorter career, of course, but Arnautovic will earn more in a year at West Ham than a regular office worker will in 100 years, so the shorter career argument only goes so far when it comes to footballers nowadays. 

Ultimately its his decision and if he wants to milk it for all he wants then it is his prerogative. Earning close to a million £ a month while living in Shanghai is obviously very tempting! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it is basically retiring

but i think the issue is what does he do as an alternative? try and get a £40m move to utd / chelsea and play 25-35 games a season, lots as a sub, get a £40m move to everton where he does the same as he's doing right now, he's not getting a love to PSG or Barca or Juve or Munich, at the same time because of his price tag he's not getting a move to lyon, napoli, dortmund, cant go back to vienna, his days of getting a move to someone who will play CL and compete and him be the star in all of that have gone, they had gone as soon as he signed for west ham

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Zatman said:

Maybe but I wasnt a Collins fan but thought was stupid he was bombed out at the time with no clear replacement. Just seems desperate for Lambert to change his opinions now

He was just part of the cull of high earners. In fairness to Lambert (not something I type regularly) wasn't Collins desperate to go once he found out West Ham wanted him back? Pretty sure he did an interview and said it was like returning home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Xela said:

It's basically retiring. 

You'll get the "well if someone offered to double your salary in your job, you'd take it so what is the problem" brigade coming out, entirely missing the point that someone going from lets say £50k a year to £100k a year is vastly different from someone going from £150k a week to £250k per week - the former has a huge impact on your life while the latter is additional wealth when you are already fantastically wealthy. 

Not sure I agree here, you’re 5 or 6 years away from being a long time retired and someone offers you an EXTRA £5m a year for a couple of years in a new exciting land. Football might be shit but I’d be all over that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Leonardo Balerdi from boca to dortmund for £15m (dont know anything about him, 19 years old sounds like he fits the dortmund mould, one of their CBs is out for the season cant remember which)

ryan babel from besiktas to fulham

caulker to alanyaspor

johannes geis on loan to cologne from schalke

ryan gauld on loan to hibs

munir to sevilla from barca for £1m

max wober to sevilla from ajax for £10m

gabbiadini to sampdoria from southampton £12m

gabriel barbosa on loan to flamengo

diego lainez to betis from club mexico for £15m

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's been a dull transfer window yet sky sports news continue to try and sensationalize any titbit of gossip one of their researchers has read on Twitter.

At least they've stopped putting up Football Manager stats to clarify a players attributes! 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

It's been a dull transfer window yet sky sports news continue to try and sensationalize any titbit of gossip one of their researchers has read on Twitter.

At least they've stopped putting up Football Manager stats to clarify a players attributes! 

 

Its better than the stats comparisons they were trying to make the other day between the careers of Callum Wilson and Gonzalo Higuain which they decided Higuain only had a better international pedigree  :crylaugh:

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this