Pre Match Thread

villalad21

6 hours ago, villalad21 said:

We need a Fernandinho/Kante type of player not a Matic/Fellaini type of player. Whelan is simply too slow

Whelan has his limits but I don't think speed is his issue. It's the options in front of him when he's played that role. He's only had 45 mins on the pitch with both Grealish and McGinn in front of him. A 45 that we largely dominated v QPR.

Need more confidence from everyone with Grealish out. Positive play is second nature to him, others must try and make conscious decisions to not take the easy ball every time.

I must admit to being a bit worried about the lack of Grealish in this match. He may not have been at his very best this season but he has still been the one that makes us tick and starts nearly all of our best attacks. Hope I’m wrong but not expecting us to be our usual recent selves,  creating over 15 chances every match the last few matches.

5 hours ago, stegzy said:

Jheez, that’s quite the injury list all of a sudden.

Most of those will be back in training Monday according to Dean at the press conf. - Thor is coming back from surgery 

On 13/12/2018 at 12:52, AVTuco said:

I don't get it, but I gave a Haha so you don't feel bad.

I get it - just like I get the warning about wearing boxer shorts - cos Chernobyl fall out

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, stegzy said:

I must admit to being a bit worried about the lack of Grealish in this match. He may not have been at his very best this season but he has still been the one that makes us tick and starts nearly all of our best attacks. Hope I’m wrong but not expecting us to be our usual recent selves,  creating over 15 chances every match the last few matches.

fortunately he's out at a time when both bolasie and el ghazi have got their fitness and form up to a level we need them to be. We'll be ok I think!

5 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

This is good. Could maybe use Kodj as a second striker though and have a ‘flatter’ midfield four with el Ghazi and Bolasie on the wings with two up top?

Not a Dean Smith formation. DS always play with 3 centre midfielders in order to dominate games.

On 13/12/2018 at 17:57, sheepyvillian said:

Tbh, I think this sort of game and the way in which Stoke play will require someone of Whelan's ilk. He may not turn heads, but he gives you that reliability which is sometimes unappreciated by fans, but you can guarantee the manager respects what he brings to the team. He was immense in the Blues game.

takes the " Gung" out of "Gungho"

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 7392craig said:

Imperative that we win this game. We need to be near flawless over Christmas, and hope the teams above us start dropping points. If we don’t close the gap soon it’ll be near impossible by the end of the season.

Bang on.....But I think we will be a different proposition in the play-offs this time....I think we have dropped too many points for Auto's.

Play offs will see us go up IMO

Edited by TRO