Dean Smith

Demitri_C

2 hours ago, TRO said:

Some things yes.... so how did we play so well against Liverpool and Man U......only errors at the end, undid us, against the scouse.

but are you telling me our first touch deserts us depending who we play.?....are you telling me we can challenge for aerial balls only against the lesser teams?

I am talking basics here.....Not sophisticated tactics against the top teams.

Better teams give you less space, which makes your touch look worse. It's easy to look like Zidane against an inferior team. And the top pressing teams like Liverpool can make players with good touches look very amateurish.

I don't know why you keep banging this drum about the opposition being irrelevant. It's so obviously wrong, since a football match is contested by two teams. It isn't golf or solitaire or whatever you imagine it to be.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

Better teams give you less space, which makes your touch look worse. It's easy to look like Zidane against an inferior team. And the top pressing teams like Liverpool can make players with good touches look very amateurish.

I don't know why you keep banging this drum about the opposition being irrelevant. It's so obviously wrong, since a football match is contested by two teams. It isn't golf or solitaire or whatever you imagine it to be.

hardly a good example, unless exaggeration was intended.

I'm not saying its irrelevant....I'm saying it more irrelevant than what you say.....listening to you no team who is lesser would ever win......How did we win The European cup?...that Bayern Side was far superior than us, if you can't see our qualities of those days, then fine, I am banging my head against the wall.

Better teams give you less space, yes.......but I'm talking about when players have the space and the ball bounces feet in front of them and the initiative is lost...I am surprised you haven't noticed....it happens so often, with some players more than others.

Look, we do some good things, score some good goals.....but to highlight some of our shortfalls, you are drawing me in to labouring the points.......If you can't see or appreciate the issues just say so.

When you concede as easily and as readily as we do....you have to look deeper at the source.....it doesn't happen because all the disciplines are adhered to...it happens because things are not being executed properly.

Someone said to me during the game....we are playing well, but we are not doing this, that and the other.....I said " well, we are not playing well then are we"....he said " yeah, I guess you're right"

I am not trying to talk the thing down, I want Villa to do well as much as the next man.....but you simply cannot expect to see basic issues at fault and ignore them as if they are not there, just to stay loyal or pacify your enthusiasm.

I love to see Villa play well and wax lyrical, when its deserved.....but any discerning fan will admit to our failings on Sunday, despite them being the team they are.....People talk about Vardy and the talk is right....but I thought their No 4 was outstanding....he caught my eye.

I thought if we had played anywhere near our usual 1-2 would have been about right, in fact at half time facing the Holte, I thought we may have got back in.....The challenge from Elmo late on Jonny Evans was comically incompetent....if you can't see things like that, lets just leave it.

In Fact any corners we have against us or free kicks ,I cringe until the danger has gone, such is the inept way we deal with them.

Sure Jack is worth the entrance money in general and that's mainly what keeps the entertainment alive.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, TRO said:

.People talk about Vardy and the talk is right....but I thought their No 4 was outstanding....he caught my eye

Thought the same, he was incredible. Such good reading of the game, just seemed to know where the ball was going to end up every time. Looks a superb player. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kiltorken said:

Thought the same, he was incredible. Such good reading of the game, just seemed to know where the ball was going to end up every time. Looks a superb player. 

good minds think alike😀

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

I'm not saying its irrelevant....I'm saying it more irrelevant than what you say.....listening to you no team who is lesser would ever win......How did we win The European cup?

You're confusing two separate things here. My point was simply that our six pointers against relegation contenders are more important matches in the grand scheme of things. Norwich would have been better off losing to Man City and beating us.

I obviously want us to take some big scalps this year (Man Utd and Arsenal were there for the taking, but we'll have another pop at both of them at Villa Park). But you only beat Liverpool, City and Leicester this season if the luck goes your way. They are just significantly better than the other 17 teams in every department, and while "fight" does narrow the gap, it doesn't eliminate it entirely.

That's not the same as saying we shouldn't try to beat them, or that it's impossible to beat them.

(Also worth pointing out that Sheffield Utd, who are perceived on here to be an example of what Dean Smith should be doing, haven't taken a single point off the top 3. Barely anyone has.)

8 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

(Also worth pointing out that Sheffield Utd, who are perceived on here to be an example of what Dean Smith should be doing, haven't taken a single point off the top 3. Barely anyone has.)

Limiting it to just the top 3 seems a bit unfair(especially considering they've only played 2 of the top 3). Surely when we're talking about stronger teams than us, it would be more than just the top 3? If you include the top 6 Sheffield has manaaged to draw against Man United, Wolves and Chelsea, quite impressive. If we're looking at the top 10, they've beaten Crystal Palace and Arsenal as well as drawn against Tottenham, in fact they've played almost everyone in the top 10 and out of the top 10 only lost to the top 2.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

You're confusing two separate things here. My point was simply that our six pointers against relegation contenders are more important matches in the grand scheme of things. Norwich would have been better off losing to Man City and beating us.

I obviously want us to take some big scalps this year (Man Utd and Arsenal were there for the taking, but we'll have another pop at both of them at Villa Park). But you only beat Liverpool, City and Leicester this season if the luck goes your way. They are just significantly better than the other 17 teams in every department, and while "fight" does narrow the gap, it doesn't eliminate it entirely.

That's not the same as saying we shouldn't try to beat them, or that it's impossible to beat them.

Also worth pointing out that Sheff utd are 7 points above the relegation places. And I think it's fair to say that their main asset this season has been their will to compete, regardless of the opposition. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Then I am confusing things....because I agree on that point or the 6 pointers.

But maybe you underestimate "fight" and maybe I over estimate it.

was it Gary Player who once said " The harder I work, the luckier I get".....fight does not eliminate it entirely, but it raises the odds of you being lucky.

Look everyone has their opinion about " fight" and the levels of it....its clear we differ.....but just as 1 example amongst many, when you lose so many second balls, not just against Leicester, I question the levels of fight amongst other things of course.

Well that game will be interesting for me.....but I can tell you like us that we were a tad unlucky against the scouse....I don't think they have lost away so far, might be wrong, but that would do for me if it was Villa.

Edited by TRO

14 minutes ago, TRO said:

Then I am confusing things....because I agree on that point or the 6 pointers.

But maybe you underestimate "fight" and maybe I over estimate it.

was it Gary Player who once said " The harder I work, the luckier I get".....fight does not eliminate it entirely, but it raises the odds of you being lucky.

Look everyone has their opinion about " fight" and the levels of it....its clear we differ.....but just as 1 example amongst many, when you lose so many second balls, not just against Leicester, I question the levels of fight amongst other things of course.

Well that game will be interesting for me.....but I can tell you like us that we were a tad unlucky against the scouse....I don't think they have lost away so far, might be wrong, but that would do for me if it was Villa.

Luck invariably favours the confident. 

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

Everyone just chill tf out.

I dunno wots happening on VT ....bickering ... arguing....we never used to be like this ...

I remember back when I used to lurk that VT was a pessimistic place. Lets all agree to go back to being pessimistic please so that there's less bickering going on.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, hippo said:

I dunno wots happening on VT ....bickering ... arguing....we never used to be like this ...

just Debating hippo....its good to talk

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Also worth pointing out that Sheff utd are 7 points above the relegation places. And I think it's fair to say that their main asset this season has been their will to compete, regardless of the opposition. 

spot on.

19 minutes ago, hippo said:

You're right though, I have detected a spiteful disdainful, tone coming from certain individuals. Nothing more irritating than a know it all and the temerity of providing the stats to prove it. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

You're right though, I have detected a spiteful disdainful, tone coming from certain individuals. Nothing more irritating than a know it all and the temerity of providing the stats to prove it. 

I know - if God meant us to be relegated then so be it ....

• Haha 1

I avoided talking on here after our last game, mostly because I knew that as time goes on more and more will lose sight of what it is were trying to achieve. What are we trying to achieve though that is the question, simply answered in the form on survival from being relegated anything more is a bonus. I don't know why we should expect the bar to be so high against teams that have been here for seasons now with a squad that's been taped together in short notice.

Now there is nothing wrong with aiming high, just that expecting it to be high is complete different and shouldn't be expected.

Leicester completely Merced us, they punished us for mistakes, mistakes I expect to be much better if we get to a second season in this league.

I think we will just survive but at the moment it could be either way. This squad needs a season together and that's with the January and next summer signings. As much as i dont want it to happen if we did go down it might be for the best with this squad, time together and time to sort out all the little bugs in our style.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, New_Hope said:

But the nature of opposition defines how we play and perform surely....I can just imagine the Crewe fans having a right moan about how they played against us can't you? 😒😒

Where we can judge ourselves is by playing the teams in our mini-league of 7....we get results against them (which we have done) and we are fine!

That is not the way to approach the league we have to take points off teams above that 'mini-league of 7' as you put it, as teams in that 'mini-league of 7' will takes points off us it's inevitable!

• Like 1

Â