Dean Smith

Demitri_C

9 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Interesting quote from Elphick, "if we all realised aston villa being in the top 6 would be beneficial to everyone, we will start winning games"

Shows what Smith is having to deal with, this is a complete rebuild job. Pointless judging him so harshly on a group that won't be here next season. 

That quote is barely literate or coherent (interesting approach to tenses!). Do you mean Dean Smith is having to deal with players who struggle to make sense when they speak?

17 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

What does he mean by that? Is he talking about himself there too?

The article is online (express and star)

He mentions different players in different situations (assuming players who know they won't be here) and that when things start to go wrong players start playing for themselves as individuals and not for the team. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Interesting quote from Elphick, "if we all realised aston villa being in the top 6 would be beneficial to everyone, we will start winning games"

Shows what Smith is having to deal with, this is a complete rebuild job. Pointless judging him so harshly on a group that won't be here next season. 

That's a damning quote about some unnamed members of the squad. 

It's quite odd when you think about it. It's commonly known in US Sports (NBA, NFL etc) often players have fantastic seasons in the last year of a contract because they are playing for their next contract. Once they get that new deal, then the go back into cruise control. I guess ours know they won't get a better deal than their current one elsewhere, but surely playing well is going to increase your value in the eyes of other clubs?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Ah, looks like the predictive text took over big time there - I thought I had typed in Thomas Frank, new head coach at Brentford. Hence Dean Smith 2.0. But things went seriously haywire.

No idea who Terry Franks is, either! 😜

Ah, just a tongue-in-cheek comment (hopefully).

However, if someone seriously suggested Thomas Frank as Smith v 2.0 at Villa, my reply would be:

"Um, no. I know he might turn out to be Brentford's Smith v 2.0 (as in the superior version) if he consistently outperforms Smith there in every aspect of the game. But as of now, he's just his successor. Time will tell.

I do hope that when Villa looks for an upgraded/improved version of Dean Smith they would have a broader and more ambitious scope and wouldn't limit their search to only include Brentford."

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

That quote is barely literate or coherent (interesting approach to tenses!). Do you mean Dean Smith is having to deal with players who struggle to make sense when they speak?

I'd suggest that literacy is not only the ability to write and to read, but also the ability to understand the actual meaning of what's been written.

I've tried several times to write a sufficiently coherent and grammatically correct comment, but as a mere foreigner with English as a second language, here's the best I can do:

13968917952_171b7cf07f_b.jpg

Edited by TB
tried, and failed
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, nnock1984 said:

Having just watched the highlights from stoke, I’m confident that he will get this to work - just needs his own players 

but stoke are one of the few teams in the league that are as bad/worse than us.

They have 1 win in 10.

7 points total from the past 10 games scoring only 5 goals along the way and one of those goals and points was against us on Saturday

Only 3 teams have managed fewer points in this period.

Bruce was slaughtered for not beating teams at the bottom of the league, indeed a few people on here even compiled tables to show how much harder smiths fixtures were. We are now playing shit teams and getting shit results. Since around christmas we have drawn against QPR, Hull & Reading, stoke twice and have lost against Wigan & Brentford. All of whom are even still below us in the league today

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Like 1

It is slightly amusing that a lot of the same people who slaughtered anyone making "excuses" for Bruce in his first season seem to be using the same "excuses" for Smith this time around.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, TB said:

I'd suggest that literacy is not only the ability to write and to read, but also the ability to understand the actual meaning of what's been written.

I've tried several times to write a sufficiently coherent and grammatically correct comment, but as a mere foreigner with English as a second language, here's the best I can do:

13968917952_171b7cf07f_b.jpg

Just to avoid any misunderstanding, my remark was about the poor expression in a reported quote by Thomas Elphick, who was boron and raised in my current home town of Brighton. He’s not a foreign language speaker and he I assume he chose to make this comment to the press, so should take responsibility for its intelligibility.

He has done quite a lot of talking to the press since he returned so maybe needs to up his media game.

7 hours ago, Ghost said:

But they key thing with the bolded bit is that Bruce had a relatively full strength squad to pick from. A squad that he had built no less.
I have little doubt that if you put Grealish and Tuanzebe into the side that played Stoke on the weekend, you would have had a much better result.

Grealish has already started more games this season than last year, I don't remember his absence being a huge excuse last year.

We also ow have a supposedly better keeper & Mings, do they not make a difference? Also Tammy is now properly embedded into the squad and is pretty much keeping things from being far worse single handedly, he wasn't here for the strt of the season and our results actually got worse after we signed him initially do to changing things slightly to fit him in

11 hours ago, DCJonah said:

What I don't get is while it's fair enough on there part because they havnt a care for anything other than where they will be next season, why on earth are we even fielding them.

Why are they even showing up to training or playing games with that crappy mentality. With the money they are on there attitude is lousy and it more than infuriates me as I'm sure it does you all that we have players even thinking like that.

I would see them ditched and replaced with the youth. I just can't even believe we are at this stage with certain players I'm more than shocked at there behaviour. So players are not even bothered about playing football and bringing the club that has supported them back to the premiere, I've never seen such laziness from a bunch of overpaid players. Do they not realise that if they did secure promotion that they might secure longer contracts, whatever happened to being a role model when kids looked upto these players, yet they are on grands a week and don't want to do what they are paid to do.

Good ridence I say, bring on the summer so those that can be replaced are replaced and we can move on from there crap attitude.

There are only certain players who have shown there worth and we all know who they are.

I really do feel sorry for those players playing there hearts out and those working with the players. It shows how much of a division there is in the squad between those who care and those who don't care becayse they dont know where they will be next season.

Edited by Dave-R

2 hours ago, Dave-R said:

What I don't get is while it's fair enough on there part because they havnt a care for anything other than where they will be next season, why on earth are we even fielding them.

Why are they even showing up to training or playing games with that crappy mentality. With the money they are on there attitude is lousy and it more than infuriates me as I'm sure it does you all that we have players even thinking like that.

I would see them ditched and replaced with the youth. I just can't even believe we are at this stage with certain players I'm more than shocked at there behaviour. So players are not even bothered about playing football and bringing the club that has supported them back to the premiere, I've never seen such laziness from a bunch of overpaid players. Do they not realise that if they did secure promotion that they might secure longer contracts, whatever happened to being a role model when kids looked upto these players, yet they are on grands a week and don't want to do what they are paid to do.

Good ridence I say, bring on the summer so those that can be replaced are replaced and we can move on from there crap attitude.

There are only certain players who have shown there worth and we all know who they are.

I really do feel sorry for those players playing there hearts out and those working with the players. It shows how much of a division there is in the squad between those who care and those who don't care becayse they dont know where they will be next season.

Every single club in the entire world has a bunch of players that will not be there the following season.

This is an absolutely shite excuse for failure

Next season Adomah, thor, chester, Davis, elmohamady, Hepburn-murphy, hourihane, kodjia, green & a whole bunch more are all due to leave.

If he can't get anyone to give a shit this year what makes you think he will be able to next year?

He is as big a charlatan as Sherwood.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Every single club in the entire world has a bunch of players that will not be there the following season.

This is an absolutely shite excuse for failure

Next season Adomah, thor, chester, Davis, elmohamady, Hepburn-murphy, hourihane, kodjia, green & a whole bunch more are all due to leave.

If he can't get anyone to give a shit this year what makes you think he will be able to next year?

He is as big a charlatan as Sherwood.

He is a charlatan over a comment he didn't make but a player did 🙄

These Brucebots are working on overtime 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Ghost said:

But they key thing with the bolded bit is that Bruce had a relatively full strength squad to pick from. A squad that he had built no less.
I have little doubt that if you put Grealish and Tuanzebe into the side that played Stoke on the weekend, you would have had a much better result.

This is actually wrong. Bruce won a host of games without Kodjia who was a key palyer for us then. 

He also went a period without grealish and still won. Look I'm not saying I prefer Bruce to Smith. But the level of safety and excuses Smith gets is ridiculous. 

He has won a pathetic two games in thirteen? That simply is not good enough. Its bloody dreadful. 

21 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He is a charlatan over a comment he didn't make but a player did 🙄

These Brucebots are working on overtime 

Ah right, so anyone who doesn't think Smith is the messiah is now a 'Bruce lover'?

It's got nothing to do with the fact that he's failing, spectacularly (and far worse than the previous Manager as things stand).

Christ, you guys make it up as you go along.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

This is actually wrong. Bruce won a host of games without Kodjia who was a key palyer for us then. 

He also went a period without grealish and still won. Look I'm not saying I prefer Bruce to Smith. But the level of safety and excuses Smith gets is ridiculous. 

He has won a pathetic two games in thirteen? That simply is not good enough. Its bloody dreadful. 

Bruce also had Terry, Snodgrass, Grabban and a hungry Adomah

Smith has none of them

• Like 3

Just now, bannedfromHandV said:

Ah right, so anyone who doesn't think Smith is the messiah is now a 'Bruce lover'?

It's got nothing to do with the fact that he's failing, spectacularly (and far worse than the previous Manager as things stand).

Christ, you guys make it up as you go along.

Smith was called a charlatan over a quote from Tommy Elphick but yeah stick to your agenda 

Â