Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

I can’t believe there are some people on here with such an anti Smith agenda.. What he’s done to deserve this level of animosity I’ll never know. The squad is ageing, unbalanced and totally unsuited to what he, and notably the board, are trying to achieve. One January window, after a summer during which we were almost bankrupted by the previous regime, isn’t enough time to do anything other than try to plug gaps.

Everyone knows that January is a difficult window to do business in and I don’t think the board were prepared to splash money on short term fixes. They are extremely ambitious, but also realistic. We finally have owners with a credible plan that are sensible enough to know that time will be needed to implement the radical changes that are essential for the future success of this club both on and off the pitch. They won’t be sentimental, Dean Smith will be given time and support to prove himself or not as the case may be, but they appointed him and won’t have done it on a whim. 

I know we live in a world of instant gratification, but that is generally only available on the internet, reality takes a little longer. Sorry to disappoint. 

Spot on.

• Like 1

I agree. I watched the first half yesterday. I think the squad needs more of an overhaul in the summer, which I'm sure will happen. Anti Smith crap I read is just ridiculous. He has my full support. As far as I'm concerned he's barely got started, needs way more time to implement what he wants and the players that he needs for that.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, hippo said:

I agree Smith isnt on Klopps level. I dont even think he is on Ian Holloways level.

Klopp had previous before joining liverpool....Smith previous ........??? oh yeah he got Brentford 9ths..

We get it, you haven’t liked him since day one.  We should be champions league already, it only takes two weeks to rebuild a team with a new strategy and style, after all you must have done it on football manager!!

What on earth will you do with your life when he turns us around and you have nothing to complain about?  Jeez

• Like 4

11 hours ago, hippo said:

I agree Smith isnt on Klopps level. I dont even think he is on Ian Holloways level.

Klopp had previous before joining liverpool....Smith previous ........??? oh yeah he got Brentford 9ths..

Hold on Smith finished 9th with Brentford. 

Why have you never told us that before :o

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, MapleVilla said:

I agree. I watched the first half yesterday. I think the squad needs more of an overhaul in the summer, which I'm sure will happen. Anti Smith crap I read is just ridiculous. He has my full support. As far as I'm concerned he's barely got started, needs way more time to implement what he wants and the players that he needs for that.

I'm positive that if Smith gets things turned around, and on a positive trajectory, fans will be behind him all the way. I know I will.

But so far we are worse every week. He needs to turn it around or things will get bad. Long term plan or not.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Stuartc445 said:

Did Bruce ever go on a run of 1 win in 12?

was 1 win in 9 before we sacked him and we never looked like turning around

was also a 10 game winless run in his first season

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Merson08 said:

This is grossly unfair to a large fanbase. I want Dean Smith to do well, not because hes a Villa fan but because hes the Villa manager. I have zero thoughts of sentiment to the fact hes also a Villa fan. The crux of the matter is hes failing.

The reasons or excuses we give him cause everyone wants him to do well. I feel are more mythical than fact.

An unbalanced team but we have enough for all positions. If the seniors cant do it play a youth player. It just might work out and if it doesnt the villa fans will give our young kids more of a chance. It worked for Leeds and Norwich.

Losing our best player. Agree we have but the replacement isnt someone from the conference league though is it? Also WBA lost Barnes there doing ok better with him but they have championship level players to come in.

Poor ageing squad. Play the damn youth players then. 

Right now we are relegation form. Thats the tactics not the players.

Next season we have 3 teams relegated with a 70million parachute payment plus last seasons team that were relegated that will still be in the championship. 

There is no plan B. There is no tweaks to a formation mid game. The subs are all like for like. Albert Einstein definition of crazy. Are we waiting for it to click in some point month the rnext 18 months.

People need to stop worrying about parachute payments. Norwich or Leeds never had any Swansea and Stoke have and haven't been great. 

We need to build a team a youngish team that can be developed but can handle the expectations also. What this season has taught me is that we rely too much on grealish. That's a big problem. We should be able to as a team be able to cope when one or two players get injured. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

People need to stop worrying about parachute payments. Norwich or Leeds never had any Swansea and Stoke have and haven't been great. 

We need to build a team a youngish team that can be developed but can handle the expectations also. What this season has taught me is that we rely too much on grealish. That's a big problem. We should be able to as a team be able to cope when one or two players get injured. 

Norwich got relegated the same season as us 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, macandally said:

We get it, you haven’t liked him since day one.  We should be champions league already, it only takes two weeks to rebuild a team with a new strategy and style, after all you must have done it on football manager!!

What on earth will you do with your life when he turns us around and you have nothing to complain about?  Jeez

I dont think I have said anything like that. He can always win me round with a few victories.

I said when he took over ...play offs would be an acheivement. but we are on a downward trajectory  ....I dont see anything to suggest Smith can turn it around.. but if he does great..  

30 minutes ago, Zatman said:

was 1 win in 9 before we sacked him and we never looked like turning around

was also a 10 game winless run in his first season

That was with Grealish and Tuanzebe (who he stuck at right back) available to him as well, which people seem to overlook when comparing Smith and Bruce.

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

I’m in camp 3, mate.

The one where I’ll support the manager because he’s having to deal with the mess Bruce left us in and the one that acknowledges we have a load of s*** players who are here for a pay cheque. It’s also the camp that understands our best player is injured.

Of course Smith can do wrong, and I’ll criticise him when his squad of players isn’t performing. F*** me, Guardiola couldn’t get a tune out of our wingers and full backs, I genuinely don’t know what you expect Smith to do.

You say you're not in camp 1 and that Smith can do wrong but you go on to defend him despite winning only 1 game against a truly awful Ipswich team and even that was a shit performance. 

The thing that has defined Smith so far is yesterday we came up against a team with pace and he thought Jedinak who is old, slow and returning from long spell injured was the answer to that. 

4 hours ago, Stuartc445 said:

You are correct Villa aren't a bad side and most of this league would love to have the squad we have.  The thing is Villa fans are currently divided into 2 camps,  camp 1 are big Smith fans and are totally closed to the idea that Smith can do any wrong, whilst the other camp (which i'm in)  are still on Smiths side but are open to the idea that he can get things wrong.

The problem is camp 1 were the ones that have been championing Smith for ages before he came here and were also the ones that were declaring our squad is the best in this league and that Smith would be able to do loads better with it.  But now that we are getting worse and worse they seem to have done a 180 and are declaring that our squad is rubbish in order to defends Smiths performances.

Well that's not right at all.  I doubt there's anyone out there who thinks Smith can do no wrong - of course he can.  There's just a lot of people not calling for him to be sacked after a handful of games.  It's ridiculous and, sadly, becoming a mainstay of our fan base.

Please go and find me someone who has commented that we have the best squad in the league and is now saying it's utter rubbish.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Stuartc445 said:

You say you're not in camp 1 and that Smith can do wrong but you go on to defend him despite winning only 1 game against a truly awful Ipswich team and even that was a shit performance. 

The thing that has defined Smith so far is yesterday we came up against a team with pace and he thought Jedinak who is old, slow and returning from long spell injured was the answer to that. 

As oppose to Whelan who is lightning quick. Hell, he should have played El Mohamady in central midfield. 

44 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Well that's not right at all.  I doubt there's anyone out there who thinks Smith can do no wrong - of course he can.  There's just a lot of people not calling for him to be sacked after a handful of games.  It's ridiculous and, sadly, becoming a mainstay of our fan base.

Please go and find me someone who has commented that we have the best squad in the league and is now saying it's utter rubbish.

Hardly call it a handful of games. At the very least we should have saw a plan or the glimpse of what his team is all about. Im as confused at what he is trying to do as i was when Bruce was here. 

Edited by HeyAnty

9 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

As oppose to Whelan who is lightning quick. Hell, he should have played El Mohamady in central midfield. 

You mean the Whelan that when he was taken off last week we went from playing in Readings half to the edge of our box,  and the same Whelan that came on yesterday and changed the game completely so we were able to score 3 goals,  you mean that Whelan?

I like Jedinak a lot but it was obvious that yesterdays game was not for him.

Edited by Stuartc445

Â