Dean Smith

Demitri_C

17 minutes ago, Eastie said:

I agree , I think we need to give him another window and at least 12 games into the new season and see if things improve , his failure to replace Taylor and Hutton last month disappoints me , yes I know we have a right back coming in next Summer but I’d rather stuck with Bree than Hutton .

there are several players in last nights team who probably know they won’t be here next season and I question their attitude and motivation - green should start on Wednesday 

problem with that is 12 games into next season ..should we wish to make the change..the pool of available managers would be a lot smaller than if we made a change in May...

27 minutes ago, bobzy said:

What a garbage post - you just have a massive grudge against the guy for some unknown reason.

All managers have to start somewhere, you don't just get given big jobs.

but smith has been managing since 2011. in his first season he saved walsall from relegation.

since then he has overseen mid table finishes with leaky defences. 

Driving back from the game yesterday some prat called in to TS and nearly made me crash my van:

'We're Aston Villa, European champions, we should be absolutely smashing teams like Sheffield United at home, it's embarrassing'

This is what you're up against Dean, no full backs, no midfield, no wingers and no leaders, but we're Aston Villa so if you don't take us up this year it proves the job is too big for you. 

8 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think some need to accept that things have completely changed. 

RDM and Bruce were both hired to get us straight back up and were given plenty of cash to throw at the problem. Both failed and have left another mess, similar to when we were relegated. 

It sounds like our new owners are not going to make the same mistake. There is now a long term idea with no throwing bad money away desperate for short term glory. 

Smith may not be the right man but he has been hired to do a different job than RDM and Bruce. He is here to build and coach HIS team. 

Totally agree with this, but just not seeing enough ideas or identity from him, it's hardly that different from Bruce, takes time I guess, but shouldn't take this long to see the makings of a new system/ approach.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

1 minute ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Totally agree with this, but just not seeing enough ideas or identity from him, it's hardly that different from Bruce, takes time I guess, but shouldn't take this long to see the makings of a new system/ approach.

They say it's hard to teach old dogs new tricks. Our performances over the last few months have been worrying but my god he has got some absolute shit to work with. 

A lot of players embarrassed themselves at times yesterday. Jedinak, Hutton, Hourihane and Al Ghazi in the first half for sure. The team needs fresh blood so badly. I wouldn't blame any manager for the way they played. First half those lot and more had their worst performances for Villa. 

Edited by praisedmambo

3 minutes ago, Brentfordnylons said:

If you get shot of DS before he’s had time to work with better players then your owners need to be held to account.I posted on here when he joined about the set up he left at Brentford where none of the players he inherited or were  signed during his time were from Prem league or even the championship they were from lower leagues or abroad the majority being under 22.He has inherited the opposite at Villa and it’s obvious you have too many players at the end of their careers or on loan(something we stopped doing 2 years ago)Would expect Dean to be asking what the director of football is doing regarding getting good young players signed for him to work with.

Agreed, i was speaking to a Walsall ST holder the other day who pretty much said the same thing, that we might have to take 1 step back in order to take two steps forward.

I guess the big difference here, and I say this with the greatest respect to Brentford is the different levels of expectation and most probably different levels of budget. 

Brentford signed a lot of young relatively unknown player because he was governed by a small budget, it remains to be seen how he will react with greater resources, will he stick to his principles even though the club demands promotion? Time will tell I guess. 

I'm a huge fan on Smith but we signed a young exciting manager called Paul Lambert and the weight of expectation at our club broke him. 

1 hour ago, Eastie said:

I agree , I think we need to give him another window and at least 12 games into the new season and see if things improve , his failure to replace Taylor and Hutton last month disappoints me , yes I know we have a right back coming in next Summer but I’d rather stuck with Bree than Hutton .

there are several players in last nights team who probably know they won’t be here next season and I question their attitude and motivation - green should start on Wednesday 

The problem is, is not replacing our full back his fault?, it's more likely they couldn't find a suitable replacement within the confines/constraints of what they were looking for.

Ie cost, age, capability, would they improve the squad, maybe the players they wanted just weren't available in January.

4 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

The problem is, is not replacing our full back his fault?, it's more likely they couldn't find a suitable replacement within the confines/constraints of what they were looking for.

Ie cost, age, capability, would they improve the squad, maybe the players they wanted just weren't available in January.

Agreed, the young Frenc RB we signed is the perfect example of how difficult it is to sign players in January. 

4 minutes ago, av1 said:

Agreed, i was speaking to a Walsall ST holder the other day who pretty much said the same thing, that we might have to take 1 step back in order to take two steps forward.

I guess the big difference here, and I say this with the greatest respect to Brentford is the different levels of expectation and most probably different levels of budget. 

Brentford signed a lot of young relatively unknown player because he was governed by a small budget, it remains to be seen how he will react with greater resources, will he stick to his principles even though the club demands promotion? Time will tell I guess. 

I'm a huge fan on Smith but we signed a young exciting manager called Paul Lambert and the weight of expectation at our club broke him. 

Agree our expectations would be seen as failure at Villa.Most of our fans didn’t begrudge him the chance to manage Villa and I’m sure will get a good reception Wednesday night.I really hope he is given time I also wonder if he’s missing his former fellow coach Thomas Frank who’s starting to get us back on track now.

2 minutes ago, Brentfordnylons said:

Agree our expectations would be seen as failure at Villa.Most of our fans didn’t begrudge him the chance to manage Villa and I’m sure will get a good reception Wednesday night.I really hope he is given time I also wonder if he’s missing his former fellow coach Thomas Frank who’s starting to get us back on track now.

How do you think he will cope with that expectation? And ultimately do you think he will be a success here given time? 

22 minutes ago, Brentfordnylons said:

If you get shot of DS before he’s had time to work with better players then your owners need to be held to account.I posted on here when he joined about the set up he left at Brentford where none of the players he inherited or were  signed during his time were from Prem league or even the championship they were from lower leagues or abroad the majority being under 22.He has inherited the opposite at Villa and it’s obvious you have too many players at the end of their careers or on loan(something we stopped doing 2 years ago)Would expect Dean to be asking what the director of football is doing regarding getting good young players signed for him to work with.

Majority of Villa fans are still on board. Unfortunately, it's always the vocal minority who make the most noise. The signings we've made so far all point towards a sensible long-term strategy (something hippo says doesn't exist in football).

• Like 1

Smith is obviously trying to change the club and this takes time, time I’m sure he will get.

The one thing that I find most odd though, is where has the pressing gone? When he first came in we were pressing high up the pitch, winning the ball back in dangerous areas And always being on the front foot. However, we seem to have stopped that now. I just don’t get it. Yes we were conceding goals, but we were also creating so much, despite three goals yesterday I wouldn’t say we were that creative. Yes Grealish is out the team, but surely he can’t make that much difference. 

It was two last minute goals in consecutive weeks (Albion and Leeds) that derailed our confidence, hoping the last couple of come back will be enough for us to gain confidence again. 

It's starting to look like the job is beyond him.  Our form has been poor for ages now, and he had a very disappointing transfer window.  The play offs are looking beyond us, and managers with nearly as little time as he's had and worse squads are performing to a higher standard.  Hope he proves me wrong, but the run of games coming up doesn't give cause for much optimism.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Smith is obviously trying to change the club and this takes time, time I’m sure he will get.

You can't ever get promoted when you are conceding this many goals.

Check out his past record at the clubs he's managed. His defensive record is awful and it is a big worry.  If he can improve on this then great, but i have my doubts.

Edited by villalad21

6 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Majority of Villa fans are still on board. Unfortunately, it's always the vocal minority who make the most noise. 

I think the minority consists of about 4/5 people on here that m didn't want him in the first place. 

Â