Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Hutton, Taylor Jedi, whelan. All played yesterday. None will have contracts renewed. 

Kodjia a busted flush

early to blame smith when 4 of your starters are useless. With the exception of central mid he doesn't have many options. 

Don't think he's god, think it's too early to call him the devil. 

I am not happy with how things are going, the issue is most if not all managers in this league know their best elevens and even who to bring in when there are injuries.

Dean is constantly forced to field different players every week, a lot of that is down to injury, he's been playing Chester not 100% fit as he's had no other options, he now has Mings available and maybe further down the line he'll have Hause. He's had to re-integrate Elphick, who to be fair has done well plus a new keeper who the jury is out on but seems on paper a good signing, this after Nyland who was finally starting to do well was ruled out for the season.

He's never found a solution to losing Axel and Grealish, our two best players on the ball. Lansbury got a chance then got injured, for some reason he has then toiled with more defensive midfielders playing what feels high pressing roles, Whelan has done ok at times but he doesn't last 90 mins and can be pretty slow, Jed finally got his chance after months of injury and looked terrible, Thor got some game time and looked average. Carroll is injured already. If you look in attack you'll see Adomah is chronically out of form, Kodjia and El Ghazi aren't much better. Connor contributes set pieces and that's about all recently, he needs dropping but there always seems to be few better options.

Hutton and Taylor continue to be liabilities in defence, but at least Hutton offers a lot going forward. Maybe if Hause or Chester come into the team then Taylor at least will get dropped. Getting Green and Grealish back in the team could be huge as along with Mings there is players who can improve us.

My point is even though I feel Dean's management has been average at best for some time, I do feel that he has inherited a chronically unbalanced squad and although you can clearly see he is trying to work out his best eleven, he is fighting a losing battle and is getting precious little luck along the way.

I have seen enough tactically from him to know the type of positive, pressing attacking football he wants to play and some of the victories under him so far have been amongst the best football we have played in a stupidly long time. The amount of goals we concede is worrying but again I can see that Dean is trying to address that.

We went for proven promotion experience with Bruce and it failed, before that we went with a Champion's League Winner in RDM that was even worse, I don't want to mention the idiots in charge before those two, but there has to come a point where we build for the long term, doesn't mean we can't criticise Dean, doesn't mean we don't want more from him and these players, but the never ending cycle of sacking managers and bombing out players has to end.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, CosmicVillan said:

Smith just ain't got the tools in the box right now to play how he wants to play...Jaxel clearly bailed the team out massively when fit

The last 15 minutes last night says different.  As strange as it sounds the come back has actually made things worse for Smith and the players because where was that level of performance and fight for 80 minutes.

8 minutes ago, Stuartc445 said:

The last 15 minutes last night says different.  As strange as it sounds the come back has actually made things worse for Smith and the players because where was that level of performance and fight for 80 minutes.

To be fair their keeper had an absolute howler of a game.

If their keeper had an ok day at the office we wouldn't get anything out of that game.

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

To be fair their keeper had an absolute howler of a game.

If their keeper had an ok day at the office we wouldn't get anything out of that game.

I agree but up until the 80th minute we didn't do anything to cause the keeper to make mistakes.

1 minute ago, maqroll said:

My impression of Dean is that he might be a bit mild mannered and not too keen on giving the odd bollocking. Am I right?

Dunno, I can imagine it. I don't think he's a Sven figure who literally never raised his voice.

He's spoken about trying to be calm when talking to the players and explaining what he wants them to do though. Makes sense.

3 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Dunno, I can imagine it. I don't think he's a Sven figure who literally never raised his voice.

He's spoken about trying to be calm when talking to the players and explaining what he wants them to do though. Makes sense.

What actually prompted the question was that I wondered if he had the motivational nous to harness the energy of this win in the dressing room immediately after the game. Are their any ITK's these days who has a drop on behind the scenes Dean?

4 minutes ago, maqroll said:

What actually prompted the question was that I wondered if he had the motivational nous to harness the energy of this win in the dressing room immediately after the game. Are their any ITK's these days who has a drop on behind the scenes Dean?

Funnily enough, Jon Obi Mikel spoke this week about the rollicking Terry used to give them when he was captain at Chelsea.

I don't know if it's something he's had a bash at here, but it wouldn't hurt every so often when they put in some sloppy stuff like up at Wigan. Different approaches can lead to the same result. (Hopefully wins!)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, screwdriver said:

The squad is good enough for play off at least.

Unfortunately this clown of a manager is only used to dealing with players on the scrap heap and has no idea how to get his instructions across to decorated international footballers on big salary's.

He's a nobody going nowhere and he'll take Villa with him.

I laughed at his press conference last night when he said we played well.

We were utter utter tripe. We got back into the game by going against management instructions and going direct.

Instead of playing don't look back in anger at the final whistle the tannoy guy should have put on Slide Away.

Are you one of those who wanted Henry in??

13 hours ago, Stuartc445 said:

You are correct Villa aren't a bad side and most of this league would love to have the squad we have.  The thing is Villa fans are currently divided into 2 camps,  camp 1 are big Smith fans and are totally closed to the idea that Smith can do any wrong, whilst the other camp (which i'm in)  are still on Smiths side but are open to the idea that he can get things wrong.

The problem is camp 1 were the ones that have been championing Smith for ages before he came here and were also the ones that were declaring our squad is the best in this league and that Smith would be able to do loads better with it.  But now that we are getting worse and worse they seem to have done a 180 and are declaring that our squad is rubbish in order to defends Smiths performances.

And i totally agree with your side note, Mings is class tall, strong, quick and vocal exactly the qualities you want in a defender.

No the Smith camp isn't saying he can't get things wrong, but the other camp are blaming him for things which are complete screw ups by our players on the pitch, there is a huge difference.

Any team building and tactics is obviously down to Smith, any kicking of the ball screw ups are obviously players.

It's complete ridiculous to blame Smith for Hutton, elmo, Taylor, kodjia, jedinak, whelens, hourihane, bjarnason, hogan and some others for the lack of interest from them, the screw ups and not bringing it on match day. It's that noticeable that the media are ripping them to bits and saying they are reliant and too reliant on the likes of Tammy, Grealish, Mcginn, Tuanzebe and Mings as so far he's been outstanding.

Also can't blame Smith that much while ever he is yet another manager who has tried different ways and tactics. That certain bunch of players have tried a good many things that they just cant get to grips with and what ever plans are laid out in front of them, they will go on a bit of a run then completely fall apart.

Only have to look at there runs under two managers now to see it. I bet the owners noticed it along time ago and whether you people on here want to admit it or not, those players are being phased out because of there constant blunders. In fact the only consistency that group of players has shown is that they come with guarenteed of regular blunders.

When we look at the defence before the new players arrived, that defence was failing to stop some very basic attacks at times. That defence let through some right howlers and while Nyland did do a bad one in games, that defence is what really let the team down. The defence was not only failing at stopping the goals pouring in, but the defence was failing to link up with the midfield through the middle and on the flanks. Even the midfield has been a disaster without Mcginn and grealish, those two are stars every game and it's noticeable to the point they carry the rest like its a two man midfield. That midfield not only fails to link with the defence but it fails to do its job of keeping that ball or put pressure on the opposition to cause them to make mistakes, again without two noticeable players the midfield is a wreck. Then there's our strikers, thank the Lord for Tammy Abraham because he is a one man wrecking crew. He's missed some each game but has bought in the goals which that can't be said about any of our strikers who lack the ability to do what Tammy does or remotely close. Come summer we need to hunt for two new strikers, without tammy were going to notice and its going to hurt. Tammy has set the bar for exactly what we need in terms of goalscoring and the whole keep on going till you bang them in attitude.

Another thing I'd like to point out is that under bruce our squad had players leave and it had disastrous consequences. The likes of terry, snoddy, grabban and others were those cogs in a machine that pretty much found a very good balance and worked very well.

We can all sit here debating who's fault it is, but I'd put a bet that those players who people refuse to blame for the way performances have played out, won't be here much longer, summer is when the true purge begins. Just so happens that when those players are no longer seen, those who refused to blame them will still continue to do that and blame Smith despite the proof happening right there.

You are right though, that the fans are divided, its not hard to see that. Just so happens that some fans go to far with the abuse. It does no good for players or coaches, they obviously hear about it and they go on sites like this and see the critism, that is what needs to be toned down. We want our squad when on match days to concentrate as much as possible, some of the abuse can get under some players skin and affect performances. Personally i dont get why fans would do that to the players of there own club, it happens all to much and some people need to be careful what they say.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nnock1984 said:

We need to get to play 3-4-3 and drop Hutton and Taylor

The problem is if we go 3 at the back you really need wing backs, which probably needs Elmo instead of Hutton, and everyone would equally moan about him.  God knows who you would play on the left.  Green may have the energy to do it I suppose.  In an ideal world with Jack and Axel back and going from the way Smith seems to want to go:

---------------------Kalinic--------------------

Hutton---Chester--Elphick---Mings

-----------------Tuanzebe------------------

--------Grealish------McGinn-------------

El Ghazi------Abraham--------Green

I think we can still get promoted if we get that XI on the park for most of the run in.

9 hours ago, HeyAnty said:

Hardly call it a handful of games. At the very least we should have saw a plan or the glimpse of what his team is all about. Im as confused at what he is trying to do as i was when Bruce was here. 

The first 10 or so games were a good glimpse I'd say. We played some of the best football I've seen us play in the last 10 years.

I don't think any coach should get sacked within the first few months of his reign unless he's losing like every week and shows no signs of recovery. It's just madness that people are actually calling for the manager's head after just a handful of games. 

• Thanks 2

Â