Dean Smith

Demitri_C

9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Give youth a chance is a cop out reason. Lambert tried that and we were trashed a lot of times

Not one stand out youth player that can step up or they would be playing 

Would be impossible for them to do any worse than our players against  Wigan and Reading.

• Like 1

I think there is more chance of our youth getting Smith's style rite than what there are our first teamers. Our first teamers have done a compete U turn so while they are making a complete joke of them selves I would rather put my faith into our youth.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, hippo said:

Smith won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

However, like any manager with 1 win in 8 games, there are going to be grumbles of discontent. I am sure DS knows what he has to do to silence these - Pretty sure will beat Hull on sat.

Hull won 6 on the bounce, absolutely flying atm. Will have to play better than any performance we've given under Smith so far  in order to beat them I think. 

6 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Would be impossible for them to do any worse than our players against  Wigan and Reading.

Maybe but remember people wanted Collins, Dunne, Warnock etc gone. Got the wish and we had Baker, Clark and Bennett at back and beaten by giants like Bradford

Same people then demanded sign experienced players

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Some of the arguments are strange in here.  Things like "This is Bruce's team, how can Smith be expected to do anything?" Whereby, when Bruce was in charge, there was a lot of "this is a top 2 team, any manager would be able to get more out of them".. Seems a bit contradictory.

Nobody said that this year imo. At times last year maybe, but we were screwed badly with injuries then too.

Our first team is good—I'd fancy them to compete with anyone. But recently we have, unarguably, been screwed by injuries. Bruce left us with a bad and unbalanced squad. You say we can't rely on a 22 year old (not sure his age has anything to do with anything) but we have nobody to replace him with—last year we, at least, had Onomah (he had some good games when Jack was out early on)! I know he wasn't great overall, but he did make a difference in some games. 

Then just look at Tuanzebe and Taylor getting injured—we put right backs anywhere. This is context and it can't be ignored in a fair view.

I feel I'm repeating myself a lot so I'm going to stop now.

We always seem to "give our youngsters a chance" by chucking them in all at once along with a bunch of our bench warmers in cup games.

And then when they don't excel that's it until our one or 2 ceremonial cup game defeats the following season.

Every other club in the world play their youngsters 1 or perhaps 2 at a time along with their strongest team to give both them and the player the best chance at success.

Really hope Smith will mean a move away from this modus operandi.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

Nobody said that this year imo. At times last year maybe, but we were screwed badly with injuries then too.

Our first team is good—I'd fancy them to compete with anyone. But recently we have, unarguably, been screwed by injuries. Bruce left us with a bad and unbalanced squad. You say we can't rely on a 22 year old (not sure his age has anything to do with anything) but we have nobody to replace him with—last year we, at least, had Onomah (he had some good games when Jack was out early on)! I know he wasn't great overall, but he did make a difference in some games. 

Then just look at Tuanzebe and Taylor getting injured—we put right backs anywhere. This is context and it can't be ignored in a fair view.

I feel I'm repeating myself a lot so I'm going to stop now.

I've seen it on here quite a few times to be honest, but I haven't the time to go back and find those posts.  Not sure who said it either, but I have seen it. 

We have a lot of players who could maybe be transferred into Jacks position, but they either haven't been picked, or they have been utilized differently.  

But we've got to find a better formula because we can't keep conceding 2 or 3 goals a game. 

1 minute ago, lapal_fan said:

We have a lot of players who could maybe be transferred into Jacks position, but they either haven't been picked, or they have been utilized differently.  

I believe El Ghazi and O'Hare can easily play there but the tactical genius DS prefer Bjarnason and Whelan there...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I believe El Ghazi and O'Hare can easily play there but the tactical genius DS prefer Bjarnason and Whelan there...

My word.

Anyway—to pick your misrepresentation of the truth apart a bit, Whelan and Bjarnasson have been playing DM, not AM, and O'Hare played there against Swansea to very little effect.

Sure, maybe El Ghazi can play there. You don't know that though and neither do I.

Oh I get it you're the tactical genius—if you're so vitriolic against Smith. You say two losses on the bounce have made you give up. Did the wins on the bounce beforehand do the opposite I wonder? At the very least and in the name of fairness the better form beforehand should maybe leave you somewhere more like indifferent rather than riled up.

Nobody is in love with the last five games. You'd hope the majority of people would be looking ahead and back a little bit and taking in the bigger picture.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Yet neither Bjarnason or Whelan has ever played No. 10 for Villa 

El Ghazi has always played his career as a winger

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Yet neither Bjarnason or Whelan has ever played No. 10 for Villa 

The point is DS pick Whelan and Bjarnason as replacement and playing Hourihane further up.

Anyone can see Birkir and Whelan is offering nothing to the team and it's quite baffling that DS keeps playing them.

Just now, villalad21 said:

The point is DS pick Whelan and Bjarnason as replacement and playing Hourihane further up.

Anyone can see Birkir and Whelan is offering nothing to the team and it's quite baffling that DS keeps playing them.

So you are changing your point 😉

Not that I am suggesting it, but I think Bjarnason's "best" position might be in the No. 10 role.

If only because his few good skills seem to be his mobility and that he's actually quite good at making those second wave runs into the penalty area pouncing on rebounds and stuff like that.

Him being poor on the ball, not creative and prone to missing the chances he get's is obviously a draw back :D 

9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

All  number 10's start out as wingers. Ronaldo, Messi, Hazzard. If they're just dribblers they will remain wingers. If they can play a defense splitting, nicely weighted pass they can evolve into "the hole"

You need exceptional talent to get the number 10 shirt as a rookie. Unless you get an opportunity due to injury. like O'Hare.

1 minute ago, screwdriver said:

All  number 10's start out as wingers. Ronaldo, Messi, Hazzard. If they're just dribblers they will remain wingers. If they can play a defense splitting, nicely weighted pass they can evolve into "the hole"

You need exceptional talent to get the number 10 shirt as a rookie. Unless you get an opportunity due to injury. like O'Hare.

Ronaldo is not and has never been a No. 10

2 minutes ago, screwdriver said:

Ronaldo is not and has never been a No. 10

8 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I more or less agree. We have also lost Tuanzebe though and I can see an argument that having a 'proper' Dm in over Hourihane may be to counteract that loss while we wait for Grealish to come back. The other noteworthy thing is that Hourihane was also responsible for about 2 goals conceded the last time he played as the deepest midfielder. Either way, there aren't actually any ready made answers anywhere in the squad, which brings things back to Smith needing time to bring in players and recognising that our actual squad is lacking. TIme for a deep breath.

15 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Right now I don’t understand villa we’re watching the youth team smash teams including Man U 5-1 and the first team are piss poor at the min why can’t some of the youth integrate

because the man u u23s are shite too - just looked up the line up, they're nowhere near the 1st team either (i know it's a bigger step up)

just accept that our youth team aren't good enough...that's why our so called best u23 players are going on loan to the likes of burton and cambridge.

Â