Dean Smith

Demitri_C

50 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

We need a win so bad.

Smith looks like he’s about to cry on the sidelines.  If we concede first on Saturday it’s going to turn toxic. 

This.

I hope Smith rallies the troops and gets our season back on track with a win on Saturday.

Another loss will not work in his favour and I agree that the heat will unfortunately increase on him furthermore.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, praisedmambo said:

It's a good squad (team really) when we have Grealish and Tuanzebe and few injuries. It's a bad squad when we don't have them. We demolished Boro and Derby with those players and we look lost without them. You've ignored that and that is a fact.

its the non- best players, who are the problem.

10 hours ago, romavillan said:

It's a hangover from post MON for me, we've always had a large percentage who don't give a toss apart from the wages. This summer I think most of the old guard will be on their way. I agree though our recruitment has been pathetic for a long time. You only have to look at what has been achieved in a lot of other places with less resources.

It's depressing to think that the "old guard" are now players who joined Villa after the relegation.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

We need a win so bad.

Smith looks like he’s about to cry on the sidelines.  If we concede first on Saturday it’s going to turn toxic. 

Are we really at this stage ?  I feel if we were to lose the dissapointment would be palpable - but toxic I would hope not.?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Are we really at this stage ?  I feel if we were to lose the dissapointment would be palpable - but toxic I would hope not.?

Yeah toxic is when the cabbages come out. 

I do agree though that it won’t be a pretty sight if we lose our next game. The media will jump on the fact we’ve lost 3 on the bounce and that’ll churn up irrational public hysteria in no time. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Dave J said:

I'm at that stage right now tbh. These last 2 games been nothing other than embarrassing.

DS have to do something in the upcoming matches now to win me over. Give me something i can get behind.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I'm at that stage right now tbh. These last 2 games been nothing other than embarrassing.

DS have to do something in the upcoming matches now to win me over. Give me something i can get behind.

There are a few who are at this stage too it would appear and you're right, he needs to do something to drown out these embarrassing performances.

10 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

This is still very much Bruces side and the players who are letting him down, in the main, are useless shitehawks that know they'll be gone soon.

Yes, its still down to Smith to get a tune out of them, as he has most emphatically at times. But until he gets a chance to put his own squad together, he cannot be properly judged.

If we keep up this cycle of changing guard every so often, we'll be going nowhere. Bruce was not a man you can build a future on. Smith is, in my opinion.

And so these non-triers need to be shown it's not acceptable.

I would drop some in favour of a few of our decent youngsters. Put it this way, they cannot do any worse and atleast I would see Smith IS trying.

Sticking with the same failing game plan and setup will be what ultimately turns the heat up on him.

Leeds are playing 16yr old players ffs.. just give it a try Dean.

14 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

Then you need to consider if you're too reactionary. Give the guy a proper chance. This is still very much Bruces side and the players who are letting him down, in the main, are useless shitehawks that know they'll be gone soon.

Yes, its still down to Smith to get a tune out of them, as he has most emphatically at times. But until he gets a chance to put his own squad together, he cannot be properly judged.

If we keep up this cycle of changing guard every so often, we'll be going nowhere. Bruce was not a man you can build a future on. Smith is, in my opinion.

Just to point out the average lifespan of a manager is around 2.5 seasons. I don't think we have jumped the gun on many managers. Barring a major slump down the table Smith will start next season. 

14 hours ago, TRO said:

You would never get a contract signed if you included such a caveat.

I am with you on the third line...it frightens me watching the passiveness from certain players at times....John McGinn has just become a folk hero for getting his foot in, that is how sad its become.

The tactics thing is a bit of a red herring for me, Bruce dismissed it, I am led to believe and other top managers have too.

quote : Brian Clough

On Football Tactics

• “Players lose you games, not tactics....There is so much crap talked about tactics by people who barely know how to win a game of Dominoes”

I am not dismissing tactics out of hand, but I agree with cloughie....too much emphasis on it as a cop out....when players not doing there job , go undetected.
I think your other points are valid.
I think it needs a major culture change in the playing personnel.

Clough may have been right in what he said in his era, but its not a coincidence that all the most successful managers in modern football are tactic focused.

The game has changed, and as a club, we have not, and that is why we continue to struggle.

Yeah, I'm a bit nervous of saying that things 'will get toxic' if we start the Hull game poorly and may even go a goal down. In the form table, Hull are going to be coming here with the expectation of winning. Our form suggests that we should be happy with a hard fought draw. We already know that promotion 'isn't essential' this season - that came straight out of the posh guy Purslow's mouth. So how can Smith be under any sort of pressure so early on in his tenure?

We should be embracing the positive change that has occurred (up to now) in the club following Bruce's termination, and supporting the club in it's journey towards making even further positive changes. To see seasoned posters on here be on Smith's back so soon really is concerning for me. Come on, we're better than this. We all want the club to succeed. We won't be doing the team, or the manager any favours at all by getting all pissy pants so quickly. The last few games have been dicey... dismally disappointing. I'm sure Smith, and the players know this. Smith might not work out in the medium or long term. And hopefully, when the time comes that he really isn't going to be able to do anything for us, that we treat him (a fellow Villa fan) with a little more respect than we showed Bruce.

It's churlish to be on Smith's back so soon. JMHO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, Raver50032 said:

Yeah, I'm a bit nervous of saying that things 'will get toxic' if we start the Hull game poorly and may even go a goal down. In the form table, Hull are going to be coming here with the expectation of winning. Our form suggests that we should be happy with a hard fought draw. We already know that promotion 'isn't essential' this season - that came straight out of the posh guy Purslow's mouth. So how can Smith be under any sort of pressure so early on in his tenure?

We should be embracing the positive change that has occurred (up to now) in the club following Bruce's termination, and supporting the club in it's journey towards making even further positive changes. To see seasoned posters on here be on Smith's back so soon really is concerning for me. Come on, we're better than this. We all want the club to succeed. We won't be doing the team, or the manager any favours at all by getting all pissy pants so quickly. The last few games have been dicey... dismally disappointing. I'm sure Smith, and the players know this. Smith might not work out in the medium or long term. And hopefully, when the time comes that he really isn't going to be able to do anything for us, that we treat him (a fellow Villa fan) with a little more respect than we showed Bruce.

It's churlish to be on Smith's back so soon. JMHO.

Smith won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

However, like any manager with 1 win in 8 games, there are going to be grumbles of discontent. I am sure DS knows what he has to do to silence these - Pretty sure will beat Hull on sat.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Raver50032 said:

We already know that promotion 'isn't essential' this season - that came straight out of the posh guy Purslow's mouth. So how can Smith be under any sort of pressure so early on in his tenure?

I'm taking that statement from Purslow with a pinch of salt. We have been lied to so often I don't believe anything anybody says anymore.

It's just my opinion but looking at Smith he looks like a man under pressure and I wonder if the message from the hierarchy to him is that promotion is imperative. Smith said himself when he came in that promotion was the brief for this season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

There are a few who are at this stage too it would appear and you're right, he needs to do something to drown out these embarrassing performances.

And so these non-triers need to be shown it's not acceptable.

I would drop some in favour of a few of our decent youngsters. Put it this way, they cannot do any worse and atleast I would see Smith IS trying.

Sticking with the same failing game plan and setup will be what ultimately turns the heat up on him.

Leeds are playing 16yr old players ffs.. just give it a try Dean.

People will blame Smith but it's this under performing players who are playing, I can't see it happening personally where they go out and impress.

No one can seem to pinpoint why our players seem to fall at the final hurdle every game or fall at every hurdle if you go by the past few games.

I just think it's unfair to blame Smith on a squad who did this under another manager as well.

Owners had stated promotion was a long game, that under Smith it wasn't a requirement this season. The owners are not daft, they will know that the only escape from this league is by doing it properly. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

The impatience of some fans is more embarrassing than the performances

I agree it's bad that some bad performances bring them all out the woodwork. It's like there is no faith in anyone, no patience and no heart to stick in there and believe in anything anymore.

It's our players that need to sort this out, it's there heart and pride they need to bring back on the pitch,  they can do it but it has to be now.

Let's put it like this, if they can't do it this season, you won't see many around in summer and beyond and I'm all for a full squad change apart from a few faces who are of note.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 1

Some of the arguments are strange in here.  Things like "This is Bruce's team, how can Smith be expected to do anything?" Whereby, when Bruce was in charge, there was a lot of "this is a top 2 team, any manager would be able to get more out of them".. Seems a bit contradictory. 

No doubt Bruce left the team severely unbalanced, and I do wish Terry had played 1 more season to be honest.  I think we needed a left back for sure, and I thought Elmo played ok last year with Snodgrass, but has looked quite poor this year.  

Going forwards, I don't think there is a defence in this league we shouldn't not be scoring against, yet against a poor Wigan side, we left a lot to be desired. 

We've lost Jack, yes - but you can't always pin your game on a 22 year old, we have other players who should be raising their games. 

I think what we lack most is a leader, like JT and Snodgrass were for us last year - just people who want to win by all costs.  

We've added Hause, who I don't know much about to be honest, so let's hope he can come in and do a job, then get Axel back and hopefully Chester and Elphick can pick up.  I still worry about our full backs, and teams are targeting Hutton now because they know his positioning is poor, and at 34, he can't get up and down like he used to.  And then we have the wingers who don't protect them either, so we're fully exposed on the flanks. 

It's a weird time, but Smith must identify what our team needs to do when it hasn't got the ball, which is our biggest problem at the moment. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

People will blame Smith but it's this under performing players who are playing, I can't see it happening personally where they go out and impress.

Then don't pick underperforming players, give the youth a chance.

The manager is one who picks the team and set up the tactics.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Oh I agree I think those underperforming player's should be thrown aside for our youth. If things are going that far then the only fix we have is to replace with those who hopefully are young and hungry enough to permanently replace those under achievers.

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Give youth a chance is a cop out reason. Lambert tried that and we were trashed a lot of times

Not one stand out youth player that can step up or they would be playing 

• Like 1

Â