Dean Smith

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, av1 said:

Not for me mate. 

Worst case scenario he flops

Best case scenario he’s great for 2yrs and then leaves to take the plop job, meaning we start again. 

Pointless imo. 

I agree and after the Houllier episode I can’t bare similar.

• Like 1

Just now, TrentVilla said:

7 wins in 29 games. Not really trigger happy is it.

Christ, I didn’t realise it was that bad. Not much really to defend there.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It's worrying as Smith seems to be getting no response from the players.

After the Arsenal debacle he says the players didn't have enough energy and were second best. Again after the West Ham Smith says the same thing, first fifteen minutes we didn't start well.

We cannot keep gifting teams the game and hope to catch-up after we concede.

I'd like to see Smith turn it around but I think he's lost the players.

• Like 1

He has lost the players.  No way back from that.  Best letting him go asap and give us a bit of a bounce against Southampton.  

Diagonal bruce ball hoofs to the wings by the CB’s are all he has in his locker now 

9 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Too me it looks worse than it really is. Whilst I wouldn't entirely disregard last seasons poor games, I think he should be judged more by the mitigating circumstances this season. Having said that, we've spent plenty and there can be no denying, we now have a proper squad, and should be doing a lot better. Next 2-3 games will be crucial. 

Edited by vreitti

Just now, vreitti said:

Too me it looks worse than it really is. Whilst I wouldn't entirely disregard last seasons poor games, I think he should be judged more by the mitigating circumstances this season. Having said that, we've spent plenty and I there can be no denying, we now have a proper squad, and should be doing a lot better. Next 2-3 games will be crucial. 

He has had three years and a huge amount of money to spend, I fail to see what another two or three games is going to change.

• Like 1

No to Gerrard and same with Lampard. The club needs to learn some lessons imo and stop pratting around with has beens or maybe in a few years. Stop spending money on players and spend it on bringing a better class of manager with European pedigree. If this is where we want to be then we need to cut our cloth accordingly. It's like we always expect mediocre to produce miracles. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

As you’ve posted it I’m not doubting that’s correct, but wow, I genuinely didn’t think our form was that bad. 

Too soon to pull the trigger.  But the next three games are critical.  We not only need points, but we need to play much, much better.  Team looks devoid of ideas (horizontal passing at the back, hoofing to the wings) and low on confidence.  The nature of the Wolves defeat no doubt had an impact, but it does feel as though something isn’t right in the dressing room - not sure about the various rumours, but  there’s likely no smoke without some sort of fire.  If he’s lost the dressing room he has an absolute mountain to climb to keep hold of his job….

51 minutes ago, maqroll said:

The last 15 minutes vs Wolves has changed everything. Devastating. 

The parallels with the Leicester game and Sherwood are frightening ( no hand waving though tf)

Smith's denial is the worrying factor for me , it's not going to make us better or harder to beat .

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

He has had three years and a huge amount of money to spend, I fail to see what another two or three games is going to change.

This is true unfortunately. We should let him go this week and start the search for a new manager immediately. Let Shakespeare take charge on Friday in the hope that he can get a bit of a response and then appoint the new manager as soon as possible during the international window.

This gives the new guy 2 months to assess the squad before the transfer window. 

31 minutes ago, hippo said:

It's not good for the managers credibility when a relatively successful coaching set up is torn up. I can't imagine that's was DSs idea.

I believe Terry was forced out after advising Grealish to go and Kelly followed him. Was all a bit weird over the preseason if you can remember, with the Grealish issue and training at that hotel. Something wasn't right then, preseason seemed very casual, the Watford game proved either we were far from ready or shit hit the fan behind closed doors.

It's kinda like, beat Everton and man U, prove the players can do it, then shit on the coaching staff then on. The Wolves loss was a bit strange, although I may be thinking to far into it.

As I reflect a little more, I wonder if part of the problem is that Dean is struggling to manage a larger squad - to keep all the players happy and motivated.  Presumably it’s easier when the team more or less picks itself…

7 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Sometimes in football, things change suddenly. I'm still hopeful Smith will miraculously turn this around. 

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

It's a weird feeling.

I can't remember the last time I liked a Manager as much as Dean.

However, I also have PTSD from where we have been in the past, and in the end, love Aston Villa more than any " manager ".

Alot of the recent vibes feel like the " dark days ", the unity seems to have dissipated, Deano seems perplexed, and alot of our players seem to STILL not be able to do some of the most basic things right.

Have we been too " loyal " and sentimental, both to players and management, due to nostalgia, and where they came up with/brought us from?

I feel we definitely have a squad more capable than what we have displayed , but that doesn't change the fact that some of the key ones, are Championship players, who tend to only have good games, when they are at 110 percent, anything less and they are dire.

I've had alot of faith in Deano due to how he spoke about the game, and his display of intelligence, but as mentioned in the past, I feel he is " choking " on the stage.

Basically, a cluster f*CK of unfortunate events, since ore season have helped create our circumstance.

You can't help but think as the level of players rise, we might need a more respected and authorititve manager.

I have no doubt the players like him, but do they " respect " him? As a manager?

Camp seems unhappy, but football is mental, it's only a few weeks ago there was the ultimate Euphoria of finally beating Man U.

I too, would be upset to see Dean go, but I'm ultimately more worried about the Clubs progress, and wasting yet another opportunity, with great owners, to really progress.

As someone else said, it's to the point where it's hard for me to think which teams we can actually beat now.

Pretty much where I am but a better articulated post than my effort a short while ago.

7 minutes ago, av1 said:

As you’ve posted it I’m not doubting that’s correct, but wow, I genuinely didn’t think our form was that bad. 

I got the stat from elsewhere and haven’t checked it but based on previous ones I’ve done myself it looks about right.

Â