Dean Smith

Demitri_C

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Typical of a midtable team that quite a few of us have been saying we are doesn’t it?  Today was dogshit, without doubt but midtable teams tend to be that inconsistent.  Look how bad Arsenal were at the start of season…didn’t they lose badly their first 3 or 4 and looked awful…today with our help they looked brilliant.  A few other teams around the midtable are the same.

I just don't buy this. For me, most midtable teams get outplayed because they are just not good enough, rarely do they play poorly like the bottom half do and lose.  I just feel we give away so many points because of poor performances, not really being outplayed. Watford we was poor, Wolves, poor last 10 and Arsenal, give it away on the first half by not coming out the blocks quick enough, an you guessed it, playing poorly.

We need to gain some level of consistency with these group of players. We have seen the quality in all of them on numerous occasions, so we know they have it. Just feeling at the moment, maybe only a new manager with a different philosophy and ability will be able to do it. Managers reach there ceiling, even the best ones. Keep saying the players had a bad performance cannot last forever.

5 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Looking at the table again, you have to say we are below where we probs should be but I’m not shocked by about any of the teams above us if that makes sense. We are 5 points from 4th tonight and 7 points above the relegation zone. Just some perspective. 

You are forgetting that we have played a game more than all of them bar Arsenal, maybe repost this on Sunday evening with updated points differences

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

We had been going back on various things all day so I didn’t need to elaborate plus others elaborated for me in the following pages in response to him and I’m sorry but your wrong.  I don’t care if you agree with me or not his analogy was a bad analogy and his reasoning was mixed.  Others who followed explained that to him and I had further points to add but didn’t have time.

Not a bad analogy, no mixed reasoning. Nobody explained anything to me

• Confused 1

If he thinks that the 3 5 2 is the way forward I'd do a Southampton and bring in Marcelo Gallardo in now to play the role of Pochettino but to stay here for a long time.

We were infinitely better when we went to a back 4 - we had 10 shots to their 7 in the second half. They had 15 to our 0 in the first.

4 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I just don't buy this. For me, most midtable teams get outplayed because they are just not good enough, rarely do they play poorly like the bottom half do and lose.  I just feel we give away so many points because of poor performances, not really being outplayed. Watford we was poor, Wolves, poor last 10 and Arsenal, give it away on the first half by not coming out the blocks quick enough, an you guessed it, playing poorly.

We need to gain some level of consistency with these group of players. We have seen the quality in all of them on numerous occasions, so we know they have it. Just feeling at the moment, maybe only a new manager with a different philosophy and ability will be able to do it. Managers reach there ceiling, even the best ones. Keep saying the players had a bad performance cannot last forever.

I think the difference between you and I is you must believe this squad is European place level because the consistency you talk about would get you that and higher.  I don’t think the squad is that level and because we aren’t, like all midtable teams they will lose just as many as they win.  I don’t think another manager would change that with this squad apart from probably the true elite managers.  That the difference between our positions I believe.

That first 45 minutes was as bad as I’ve seen in a long, long time.

I feel very sad tonight as I’ve got a horrible feeling where this is headed, we’ve had a terrible summer transfer window in the respect of bringing in players that have unbalanced the squad, and problems are being caused through playing certain players who are just not justifying their place in the team every week.

The players in general are letting the manager down, but if I’m being honest with myself I don’t feel that Dean is doing enough to change things and I feel we are a few weeks away from it costing him his job.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

I think the difference between you and I is you must believe this squad is European place level because the consistency you talk about would get you that and higher.  I don’t think the squad is that level and because we aren’t, like all midtable teams they will lose just as many as they win.  I don’t think another manager would change that with this squad apart from probably the true elite managers.  That the difference between our positions I believe.

Our consistency is on target to return 42 points this season. That is not good enough and it is not mid table

9 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Not a bad analogy, no mixed reasoning.

Nobody explained anything to me

Of course you don’t think that about your own comment

Yes they did, Blandy did along with others

Just now, nick76 said:

Of course you don’t think that about your own comment

Yes they did, Blandy did along with others

They didn't explain anything to me. I read some ramblings trying to justify a narrative but no explanation. It is total horse shyte to say you shouldn't nor can't benchmark football managers

17 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

See my post a few pages back, when rather than if for me. Think he is done.

Any replacements you think they might be considering if they drop the axe?

7 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I'm with you on this, as it is balanced. But to me there are far to many poor performances for a team of this quality, an unless we get a different mindset within our squad, it ain't gonna get us anywhere. Lately we are rarely seeing 100%, or convincing wins. We are a shadow of last season, an it can't just be down to Grealish leaving, or are we admitting we were truly that 1 man team.

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

I’d expect Terry to be a very strong contender for a number of reasons and predicted so when he went.

Can I refer everyone to your previous post, if I get patronised about Smith still being the one and only for our club and the players aren't good enough.

6 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I'm with you on this, as it is balanced. But to me there are far to many poor performances for a team of this quality, an unless we get a different mindset within our squad, it ain't gonna get us anywhere. Lately we are rarely seeing 100%, or convincing wins. We are a shadow of last season, an it can't just be down to Grealish leaving, or are we admitting we were truly that 1 man team.

Oh I agree we have been underwhelming in 2021 year but we still picked 55 points last season so generally we are still bagging points without looking exceptional.  This season has been mixed and 10 mins against Wolves and tonight was dogshit.

I think we have mitigating circumstances for first half dozen games but I think from memory you don’t quite agree with that.  The thing I hang onto in your commentary is we don’t get outplayed (apart from today) and you take that as a bad thing because we don’t win enough but I also look at it that we compete in every match which is hard to do…maybe a half full/half empty thing.  

We are a shadow of last season I agree, mostly I think we haven’t started well but a little bit that our expectations as fans has increased.  We expect to go to Arsenal and win as fans but I think the bookies had us at 4.4 with Arsenal win at 1.9.  

Doesn’t forgive the performance or tactics but bookies aren’t wrong often. I don’t think our squad is as quality as some fans think it is.

We need Bailey in the team, we need Buendia up to speed, Ollie on form.  Dump the 352 for 433.  We need Traore getting more minutes.  Bailey, Traore, Ollie, Sanson and Buendia having injuries and disrupted early season has hurt us imo.  Smith hasn’t helped himself the last few games…I hope this mindset comes back and we get some convincing wins somewhere

• Like 1

Â