Dean Smith

Demitri_C

21 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

And forget we spent 350m quid. That argument can go on and on for ever. The bottom line is we are under performing. No excuses, it needs to be fixed

3 of Arsenal's players tonight cost more than half of that, £80m pepe was on the bench too

We aren't getting Conte, Lampard would be more likely. Whoever our manager is they're going to find it difficult to get us consistently winning games, only a few teams can manage that, the rest have good runs and bad runs of form, that's just the way it is.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, useless said:

We aren't getting Conte, Lampard would be more likely. Whoever our manager is they're going to find it difficult to get us consistently winning games, only a few teams can manage that, the rest have good runs and bad runs of form, that's just the way it is.

Give up then, accept mid-table mediocrity? Like West Ham? Or Leicester? 

I don't disagree with anything he says there. You can argue we started with the wrong shape, and I agree, but I don't think that forgives some of the atrocious individual performances we saw i nthe first 45 minutes. A lack of closing down, them walking through our midfield with ease, even their centre back running 45 yards throguh the middle of the pitch. Basic defensive errors, constant misplaced passes.

The tactics were wrong, but the players didn't make the best of it by a long way.

• Like 3

Just now, dont_do_it_doug. said:

He's not wrong though? The first half was completely unacceptable. 

It was... but he fails to mention the formation wasn't working which is why he changed it at half time. Funny he called the players out but never mentioned that the system wasn't working. 

• Like 2

Purslow has been quoted in saying he was disappointed with the results towards the end of last season, I don't think they were to bad considering. I wonder how disappointed he'll be with the results at the beginning of this season after spending 100m. If I was was him I would be extremely frustrated at the continued inconsistency of our squad still. Although maybe Smith can say "It happens Mr Purslow, were a midtable team, what more do you expect"!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

3 of Arsenal's players tonight cost more than half of that, £80m pepe was on the bench too

Exactly, Pepe was on the bench because he was a waste of money. There are NO excuses, we were crap, Dean needs to take responsibility, Dean needs to fix it. We want to keep him as manager but ignoring what is actually happening on the pitch and with the team is akin to an ostrich putting its head in the sand

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

It was... but he fails to mention the formation wasn't working which is why he changed it at half time. Funny he called the players out but never mentioned that the system wasn't working. 

True, but in the same situation I wouldn't want to let my lads off the hook by shouldering some of the blame. The 3 at the back needs to be binned, but it was still completely unacceptable in terms of effort, desire, physicality and ability. No matter where they were positioned on the pitch or what instructions they were given. 

Whether he is to blame for that is a question for us, it's not something he can say out loud even if he will obviously have to look at himself too if he is to stay on in the job much longer. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Purslow has been quoted in saying he was disappointed with the results towards the end of last season, I don't think they were to bad considering. I wonder how disappointed he'll be with the results at the beginning of this season after spending 100m. If I was was him I would be extremely frustrated at the continued inconsistency of our squad still. Although maybe Smith can say "It happens Mr Purslow, were a midtable team, what more do you expect"!

Maybe he could say "Whoever our manager is they're going to find it difficult to get us consistently winning games, only a few teams can manage that, the rest have good runs and bad runs of form, that's just the way it is."?

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Man u say hi. 

Hate this bull about team costs, we did the double on them last year, an they had the great pepe even playing.  To be fair he's 80m of rubbish which is why he warms the bench.

2 minutes ago, maqroll said:

If we line up the same way vs West Ham, I will have to reassess my stance on Dean. But I still trust him to turn this around. 

I thought this after Wolves re Arsenal game. I just can't believe we stuck with 3 at the back. That's not how we beat Arsenal previously

• Like 1

Â