Dean Smith

Demitri_C

26 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Are we ever going to stop talking about substitutions? It’s such a small part of a managers remit.  My Sunday league manager makes 3 subs every game. Sometimes many at half time. Tactics team made 3 subs every game.  I could go on. 

I get the odd opinion on Smith and his substitutions. But I can’t believe people think it’s such a big issue. Amazes me!

From the outside looking in, it really looks like our players are tiring, especially over the last few games. Subs and squad rotations seem like the most obvious remedy to those problems.

Smith insists there's no problems though, and I'm more inclined to believe his point of view.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Are we ever going to stop talking about substitutions? It’s such a small part of a managers remit.  My Sunday league manager makes 3 subs every game. Sometimes many at half time. Tactics team made 3 subs every game.  I could go on. 

I get the odd opinion on Smith and his substitutions. But I can’t believe people think it’s such a big issue. Amazes me!

For me this season it's about fatigue and squad management over the whole season due to the busy schedule. We have been relying and 9 players for an extreme amount of minutes and I really don't want any of them to get injured. For me it's been a gamble that has very much paid off for fair dues. 

We all know we have a limited squad, especially weak in some areas so options are limited. As tiresome as I guess it is to see talk about substitutions for some people it's equally annoying to have them brushed away as complaining to have something to complain about or than people want subs for the sake of it. There is more to it than just wanting to see the 4th ref holding up numbers.

Still get bad dreams of how MON threw away seasons by running players into the ground by going around with a very small selection year after year.

We get a bit of rest now which is great and then it's 17 games left of the season which also involves some international breaks along the way. Will be a heroic effort of we manage to carry this form until the end of the season. But either way it will have been a stellar season.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Sulberto21 said:

The funny thing about all the tiredness comments is we've on average ran the least per game. Source :Sky Sports.

Yeah I read that somewhere too. Has this been the case all season or is it something that's regressed over the season?

Always better to run smart than to just run.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, villa_shere said:

Dean Smith masterplan. Many things about this team impress me but the amount of clean sheets we have kept is brilliant 

I think the key to accessing anything is to take a broader snapshot of things rather than looking at decisions in isolation.

As you say, we have 11 clean sheets, we've equalled our wins from last season, and most commentators have us down as the team they most enjoy watching. 

Whatever Dean is doing its bloody working..

7 minutes ago, sne said:

Yeah I read that somewhere too. Has this been the case all season or is it something that's regressed over the season?

Always better to run smart than to just run.

Good question. I don't know the answer to that. It said correct up to Feb 5th. It doesn't give the season graph. We're up there for in game sprints though. Looking in your direction Mr Ollie Watkins!!!!

• Like 1

Maybe somebody needs, if Mods allow, to create a Subs thread so this discussion can be had there and keep going game after game.  

It’s boring now and dominates the Smith thread when it’s such a small part of his job, he seems to be a good job on it given the results despite sentiment by some on here and this thread feels negative constantly on one of our best managers of recent decades.  

Doesn’t matter whether win or lose, subs is one of the main discussions so is it worthwhile having a seperate thread rather than negativity dominating Smith thread.  I know it’s him that makes subs but needs it’s own thread....thoughts?

(plus then I can then ignore that thread)

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sne said:

For me this season it's about fatigue and squad management over the whole season due to the busy schedule. We have been relying and 9 players for an extreme amount of minutes and I really don't want any of them to get injured. For me it's been a gamble that has very much paid off for fair dues. 

We all know we have a limited squad, especially weak in some areas so options are limited. As tiresome as I guess it is to see talk about substitutions for some people it's equally annoying to have them brushed away as complaining to have something to complain about or than people want subs for the sake of it. There is more to it than just wanting to see the 4th ref holding up numbers.

Still get bad dreams of how MON threw away seasons by running players into the ground by going around with a very small selection year after year.

We get a bit of rest now which is great and then it's 17 games left of the season which also involves some international breaks along the way. Will be a heroic effort of we manage to carry this form until the end of the season. But either way it will have been a stellar season.

In the match thread, it really doesn't seem like it. 

1 hour ago, Sulberto21 said:

The funny thing about all the tiredness comments is we've on average ran the least per game. Source :Sky Sports.

The thing about tiredness as well, is that this is elite sport in 2021. 

Do people on here really not think that these players are monitored to extreme levels in terms of fitness and performance. 

But we still have people claiming from watching on TV that they can tell said player is exhausted and needs to be off the pitch. 

8 minutes ago, sne said:

OK. Fair enough if that's what you get from it.

Hard not to when people just scream for a change. Someone wanted Nakamba off at halftime, one guaranteed he'd be sent off. One called Dean Smith clueless, one asked if it was OK to blame Dean Smith if we conceded and then when Ramsay was brought on, lots of them thought it was a terrible decision and moaned at the manager for it. 

True not everybody, but it certainly seems at times that its just screaming for a sub.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Hard not to when people just scream for a change. Someone wanted Nakamba off at halftime, one guaranteed he'd be sent off. One called Dean Smith clueless, one asked if it was OK to blame Dean Smith if we conceded and then when Ramsay was brought on, lots of them thought it was a terrible decision and moaned at the manager for it. 

True not everybody, but it certainly seems at times that its just screaming for a sub.

Match thread is never going to be the place for well developed and fleshed out arguments or discussions. Positive or negative.

Half of the posts are Yay!!!!, Whooo!!! or B*lls!!! :D 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

The thing about tiredness as well, is that this is elite sport in 2021. 

Do people on here really not think that these players are monitored to extreme levels in terms of fitness and performance. 

But we still have people claiming from watching on TV that they can tell said player is exhausted and needs to be off the pitch. 

Yeah they're wearing tracking vests ffs. Someone is sitting with a laptop monitoring every single player's performance levels for 90 mins every game.

Smith has said himself that it will take 3 seasons to add the necessary talent to the squad. When he has a stacked bench, we'll see more rotation and more subs. For the time being, he's trying to get results that keep us in contention for Europe.

This is so different from the MON era, where he let some quality players just rot away on the bench. Smith hasn't done that at all.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, darrenm said:

I was screaming at him to pass there, all the way until it went in.

I've sat by so many people doing exactly that - just targeting the players for abuse. As a crowd, at home, we're toxic. I don't know how it compares to other home fans and I know our away fans are incredible but we really do destroy confidence at home with the groans on every pass that goes backwards or wayward shot.

I can't remember what you were quoting but all I know is I was going to agree fully.

Ahem ;) (swap Rashica with Barkley because we obviously tried to get him, couldn't and got Barkley instead) 

comedy central season 2 episode 9 GIF by Workaholics

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, darrenm said:

I was screaming at him to pass there, all the way until it went in.

I've sat by so many people doing exactly that - just targeting the players for abuse. As a crowd, at home, we're toxic. I don't know how it compares to other home fans and I know our away fans are incredible but we really do destroy confidence at home with the groans on every pass that goes backwards or wayward shot.

I can't remember what you were quoting but all I know is I was going to agree fully.

Ahem ;) (swap Rashica with Barkley because we obviously tried to get him, couldn't and got Barkley instead) 

Nobody would dare to boo the Scottish Cafu. That goal gave me so much pleasure. It will live with for ever!

10 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Its funny how we all see things.....Graeme Souness shrugs when tactics are mentioned....i think ,he thinks they are over played.

Edited by TRO

Â