Dean Smith

Demitri_C

9 minutes ago, nick76 said:

You are trolling surely? 14 hours later and you’re still going.  We have a game in hand that would put us in contention of champions league places at half way through the season.  We have things to improve on of course but jeez you a dog with a bone with this.

Because it has been his flaw for the years he has been with us now. If he doesn't fix it it will cost us in the future. 

I thought mcginn was injured tonight because he was too slow to get clear of a challenge and got knocked off the pitch. If we continue abusing our players like this it is only a matter of time until one of them is injured. 

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Not sure. But I was talking about seeing games out. 

2 points. We can't finish in Europe if we can't get results when conceding first. That is 7 games and 2 points which is horrific. Need to be better. 

6 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I can understand the criticism, it's the relentlessness of ramming the point home page after page that annoys me, especially when Dean has earned the benefit of the doubt considering how he has improved us and we actually won last night. 

You seem to be in the minority. Making a simple criticism has lead to a wave of posters bringing up past performances and our massive improvement and lumping people in the "you are ungrateful" / "looking for any excuse to get rid of Smith" / "not really a fan" bucket.

Nothing could be further from the truth. I think Smith is fantastic and wouldn't take any other manager above him......

... but I also want him to get better. Pointing out a place where he needs to improve is a good thing, no?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Because it has been his flaw for the years he has been with us now. If he doesn't fix it it will cost us in the future. 

I thought mcginn was injured tonight because he was too slow to get clear of a challenge and got knocked off the pitch. If we continue abusing our players like this it is only a matter of time until one of them is injured. 

You think it’s a flaw!

You can’t argue with his record from mid table championship to promotion to avoiding relegation to a comfortable 8th in the league in 28 months.  The guy knows what he’s doing, that’s why you and I are here on a message board and he is the manager of our beloved club.

Yes he should be evaluated and we have every right to criticise but you are almost claiming things as fact or definite ‘flaws’ and if they change them as you want we would be better or further up in the league, without any basis.  A change you may have wanted may have cost us a goal, we’ll never know.  

All we know is his decision which he backed up got us a win in this moment.  Over history has got us from mid table championship to comfortable 8th in the premier league in 28 months with the same kind of decisions.  I’ll stick with his decisions for the future.

8 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

You seem to be in the minority. Making a simple criticism has lead to a wave of posters bringing up past performances and our massive improvement and lumping people in the "you are ungrateful" / "looking for any excuse to get rid of Smith" / "not really a fan" bucket.

Nothing could be further from the truth. I think Smith is fantastic and wouldn't take any other manager above him......

... but I also want him to get better. Pointing out a place where he needs to improve is a good thing, no?

The problem though is relentlessness that Smith is wrong and they are not.  That this is a flaw of his and needs to improve to get better and going on and on about it.  

This nothing to do with being a better fan or whatever that is but Smithhas a way of doing things that’ll he’ll probably never change and some fans think that is a flaw just Smith keeps getting this team better and better in contrast to what these fans are saying.  

We won last night because of the decisions he made, whether you agree with him or not, he got it right and yet 15 hours later the same point is still being made about that match.

He didn’t make a change, he stated his reasons why, he won the game yet he still being criticised not once but constantly for 15 hours.

Just now, nick76 said:

The problem though is relentlessness that Smith is wrong and they are not.  That this is a flaw of his and needs to improve to get better and going on and on about it.  

This nothing to do with being a better fan or whatever that is but Smithhas a way of doing things that’ll he’ll probably never change and some fans think that is a flaw just Smith keeps getting this team better and better in contrast to what these fans are saying.  

We won last night because of the decisions he made, whether you agree with him or not, he got it right and yet 15 hours later the same point is still being made about that match.

He didn’t make a change, he stated his reasons why, he won the game yet he still being criticised not once but constantly for 15 hours.

I'm sorry 19 managers vs 1? I tend to think the 19 other Premier league managers are right. 

1 hour ago, ozvillafan said:

So.... Dean didn't trust his team against Burnley, then?

Its almost as if different games and different situations require different decisions. 

Making subs doesn't mean he didn't trust them. My point was against your laughable opinion that making no subs leaves it all to chance. 

22 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

What an absolutely delusional joke of a post. What are you going on about? You can't even base it on anything. 

I can't work out if you're on the wind up. 

20 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

Because you say so? 

His in game management and substitution decisions have taken us to where we are. Yet you and a few others are going to invent made up situations so you can claim you want him to improve. Absolute jokes. 

1 minute ago, MotoMkali said:

I'm sorry 19 managers vs 1? I tend to think the 19 other Premier league managers are right. 

What a strange response using the 5 sub rule discussion to validate your point.  Using a tangent topic to validate a point seems to be that you are running out of arguments to prove your point.

53 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

How many points won in the last 30 minutes. Because when we haven't scored first we haven't won any game. Out of 7. So it is completely fair to make this criticism. In fact we have only got 2 points in those 7 games which is abysmal. 

But is it though? Like I said in another post, although I don't really have much to back it up, but it certainly feels like we make more subs when losing. I'm sure someone will know/find out but I'm confident saying that.

What does that tell us? That perhaps Smith will change things when we're losing and things aren't working.. the fact that new players that come on can't change anything doesn't bode well.

Why change things when we are winning and things are working? Despite what you all say, the history books last night will say 'Southampton 0-1 Aston Villa'

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, useless said:

If I didn't know the result and had have come on this thread last night after the match I would have presumed that we'd lost the game going by the nature of a lot of the posts.

I had to go and check after reading this thread again. 

39 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Southampton, Man City, Liverpool and Leeds will be our hardest games until the end of the season and we've just beat one of them. It's just their style of play is our kryptonite. We beat Liverpool because we executed their kryptonite perfectly but against Leeds and man city we didn't. 

It doesn't matter how many subs we make those teams are just horrible for us to play against.

I would class Leicester in this too. That was such a big win at the start of the season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

What an absolutely delusional joke of a post. What are you going on about? You can't even base it on anything. 

I can't work out if you're on the wind up. 

This thread has become surreal, I need to go and do something else.  I’ll leave you to battle the cause for us, good luck.

Â