Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Just now, Sulberto21 said:

Again you missed the point. When we were 1-0 up we had lots of good chances to make it 2-0. Unfortunately we didn't and they scored in the second half to make it 1-1. Had we gone 2-0 up which we should have done Burnley don't come back into the game. In fact we would have ended up with 3 maybe 4.

Players miss chances it happens in football.

When you start losing control of the game like we did in that second half you need to anticipate it and change it before it's too late.

Barkley and Traore had a shocker and had to come off.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, andym said:

But in terms of actual points his in game management has been good

Just 5 points 'lost' in last 30 mins of games all season

1 was away at Man U (dodgy pen against), 1 was at Man City - after he'd made all 3 subs + dodgy offside

So basically 1 game so far this season where he's 'cost us' with lack of subs (and thats based on the huge assumption subs 100% would have seen us through)

I'll take that, no manager is perfect

When you break it down it just shows how utterly bizarre that opinion is. 

Let's be honest. Look at the people who are focusing on any little negative they can invent. Its mainly the same ones who wanted him gone at some point or were heavily critical last season. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Let's be honest. Look at the people who are focusing on any little negative they can invent. Its mainly the same ones who wanted him gone at some point or were heavily critical last season. 

We are actually one of the best teams in the league at keeping it tight at the end of games

Most of our goals against are in the 15 mins either side of halftime

Thats more of an issue for me - we seem to get complacement and lose focus around that period, and it puts us into bad positions in the game. Something for Smith to work on

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Sorry - You can't just lump us in a bucket like that. I like Smith and think he's doing well.

But there is no denying it was piss poor not making a substitute till 95:55 (literally - I was watching). I could see 3 players that were ripe for substituting from the 75th minute: McGinn, Traore, Barkley. I spent the last 20 minutes of that match screaming at my TV screen for a substitution - any substitution - to be made so we could:

• Get fresh legs on the pitch
  • Give Southampton something else to think about tactically
  • Break up the opposition flow

Instead, Dean left it to chance. The better managers in this league simply don't do that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

Sorry - You can't just lump us in a bucket like that. I like Smith and think he's doing well.

But there is no denying it was piss poor not making a substitute till 95:55 (literally - I was watching). I could see 3 players that were ripe for substituting from the 75th minute: McGinn, Traore, Barkley. I spent the last 20 minutes of that match screaming at my TV screen for a substitution - any substitution - to be made so we could:

• Get fresh legs on the pitch
  • Give Southampton something else to think about tactically
  • Break up the opposition flow

Instead, Dean left it to chance. The better managers in this league simply don't do that.

Left it to chance or trusted his team? 

Again, I love this notion that subs equal success, no subs puts it all in the hands of the Gods. 

51 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Amazing to think that some are still hoping to be proven right. How they call themselves fans is beyond me. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, paul514 said:

Nobody probably answered as it is a pretty stupid question..... who is going to be happier with a loss over a win.

Not happier with the result. Happier with Smiths management.. People are on are upset with him his lack of substitutions. Somebody even called him pathetic. I actually thought it was a valid question. 

1 hour ago, Woody1000 said:

Would I have made some substitutions earlier last night? Yes
Amount of games I’ve won as a Premier League manager? None!

Yep. Constructive criticism is ok, but some of the nonsense since yesterday regarding Smith is laughable. This is the best, most exciting villa team in more than a decade, and Smith is responsible for that. 

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

It could cost us missing out on top 6 which is a real possibility considering the players we have.

Whe you are in February and still in and around the top 4 it's not a joke anymore and Dean has to use his squad in the upcoming busy period or fatigue will hit us hard in late March/April. The league Is a marathon, a squad game, not just 11 players.

So the very thing that has got us in to contention of of Top 6 (Smiths management) will be the same thing that costs us getting top 6?  Interesting. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

Halfway through the season review:

53% win rate (=4th)

1.8 goals/game (=4th) from 1.9 xG/game (3rd)

1.1 conceded/game (=4th) from 1.2 xGA/game (8th)

53% clean sheet rate (2nd)

My rating A++

Crazy how much we've been transformed since last season and still some people aren't happy.

To be honest I was getting a bit wound up yesterday thinking the tired legs in midfield would cost us, but it didn't. 

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Yep. It’s pretty pathetic. If he starts making early substitution and we continue to progress well they will find something else to have a dig at him.  Some fans will never be happy with Smith. 

30 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

Halfway through the season review:

53% win rate (=4th)

1.8 goals/game (=4th) from 1.9 xG/game (3rd)

1.1 conceded/game (=4th) from 1.2 xGA/game (8th)

53% clean sheet rate (2nd)

My rating A++

Only failed to win 1 game  in 11 when taken the lead and let’s face it that was a bit of freak result.  Yet Smith doesn’t know how to see a game out...

41 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

So who are these better managers in the league who always always 100% of the time make substitutions when games are tight?

Wrong question. Who are the managers that don't make substitutions at all after playing a game mid-week where substitutions came late and kicking off with the same starting line-up?

I can count them on 1 finger.

Criticism where it is due. That was poor from Smith and a lucky result doesn't change that.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Left it to chance or trusted his team? 

Again, I love this notion that subs equal success, no subs puts it all in the hands of the Gods. 

So.... Dean didn't trust his team against Burnley, then?

Â