Dean Smith

Demitri_C

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:
10 minutes ago, nick76 said:

because what else would he say "cant believe we've signed him, dont even know who he is"  it's not lying it's that he probably seen him but relied heavily on the recruitment team's opinion and analysis

You guys are unbeliavble if you think smith had zero say in the players signed. 

didnt say that did I as I noted in bold, he probably just doesnt have as much knowledge or own analysis of the player that he would do himself like managers used to do and would rely heavily on the recruitment team.  Definitely gets a lot of the blame but I still lay more blame on the recruitment team than the manager in these modern times of recruitment.

4 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

The worry is this - that was the most ordinary team we'll play on the run in and we couldn't win.

true but I am sure Bruce was fired up for this game as well, this was his cup final.

Villa also an unhealthy shit record at St James

Just now, Zatman said:

true but I am sure Bruce was fired up for this game as well, this was his cup final.

Villa also an unhealthy shit record at St James

and Newcastle havent conceded at home since 1st Jan, that's impressive 2 months or so of football not to concede at home.

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Did you expect more than mediocrity as a newly promoted team? 

Stop with this psycho babble nonsense that you've been coming at people for a few days with now when some here expected us to do better this season. Newly promoted teams DO actually do well. Bournemouth. Brighton. Wolves. Swansea. Watford. People have different opinions to you, don't come from a lesser level of intellect who don't understand the points you are ( repeatedly ) trying to make. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I just think its a shame that some can't accept what we are and get behind it for the season. 

Most newly promoted clubs don't turn on their manager before the season ends. Its just classic us. 

I just think most on here would like us to have a go in the run in. Going down having at best won once in final 14 games isn't having a go whichever way it's spun and is an incredibly poor record which would get many managers sacked.

Up to DS to inspire a bit more, start a game with two strikers and Jack with less responisbility to track back (4-3-1-2 as we keep on saying and at least ended with tonight) and also get us to show some balls when in the lead against a top level team.

He'd certainly get pretty much all of us back onside beating any of Wolves, Man. United or Arsenal in the run in.

• Like 2

Just now, DCJonah said:

Did you expect more than mediocrity as a newly promoted team? 

I'm not just looking at this season when I speak about Wanting a different manager.  I have also in a different thread provided some back up to why I want this manager. I don't see Dean Smith having the ability to EVENTUALLY  lead us to the top half and then league title challenges in the long term.  This is why I didn't want him as our manager head coach team selection bloke in the first place.  I believe with Marcelo Gallardo we can reach the hallowed land of being champions again. Eventually.

We'll attract better players too. 😉

I know this because a close relative of mine works in a privileged place where he gets some information on players especially afro Caribbean players months before things happen.

• Like 1

Has to find a way to get Trez and El Ghazi out of the side, and has to find a way to get more support up top. 

The answer seems so obvious - and not just when we're losing. 

14 minutes ago, penguin said:

So the pro-Smith argument can basically be boiled down to: Ignore everything you’ve seen including the glaring and repeated deficiencies and just look at our points total?   

reductio ad absurdum

20 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

We're closer to safety than we were before kick off. 

We came from behind to get a point. 

How is that getting worse?

Getting worse from today's result is probably the wrong wording but for me that was a must win game. We're lucky that West Ham and Bournemouth are somehow just as shit and we can never take advantage of the situation. I just feel Smith's whole identity and beliefs are disappearing. 

I'll say I don't want Smith sacked. Doing that now would just be pointless and I'd probably back him to get us up from the Championship but the huge faith I had in him is quite quickly fading. 

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

True but they may have still scored and we didnt score our goal and lost the game.  What we do know is he made the subs and those two subs combined to score our goal, that was good substitution based on that.....hard to argue that fact!

What we do know is he picked the wrong team again as highlighted pre match thread by virtually everyone except the 2 people who seem to defend dean smith whatever he does - and continually do so - he is a dreadful negative manager who has retreated into a shell in recent months to be polite - and that is being very kind to him 

I think we're overreacting here. Were we poor at times? Yes. Should the subs have come sooner? Yes. Is all lost? No. Did we play very well for periods of the game? Yes. Were we unfortunate to not come away with more points? Very.

• Like 1

It's ok saying that we are wrong to turn against him now, but we won't stay up with this form and we won't stay up by sacking him when relegated.

The only option we have other than to see this continued awful form is to give somebody else a shot.

He has to take McGinn off earlier if he isnt producing.  He wasn't making the runs today. Fatigue and tiredness.  I thought Nakamba looked solid when he came on and even outmuscled Carroll for a couple of aerial balls.

Keeper

Konsa.       Mings.       Hause

Elmo.          Luis.    Nakamba.       Targett

Jack

Davis.        Samatta 

Had to be the way forward. 

1 minute ago, AV82 said:

I think we're overreacting here. Were we poor at times? Yes. Should the subs have come sooner? Yes. Is all lost? No. Did we play very well for periods of the game? Yes. Were we unfortunate to not come away with more points? Very.

I agree.  I think we should have been out of sight in the first half. 

• Like 2

Just now, Eastie said:

What we do know is he picked the wrong team again as highlighted pre match thread by virtually everyone except the 2 people who seem to defend dean smith whatever he does - and continually do so - he is a dreadful negative manager who has retreated into a shell in recent months to be polite - and that is being very kind to him 

Maybe but we shouldve been winning at half time, we had the chances and didnt come close to converting any of them.  I just dont know how we didnt convert any.  Would it have been different with a different line or not, I dont know.  The line up he had did create chances and for some reason we didnt convert them.  Is that his fault....maybe but jeez how we didnt score one of those chances....that Trez opportunity, I was just banging my head.  That's what he is good at, like he did against Leicester in the semi final......just get your foot on it.

So you can argue about his line up but we shouldve won that with the chances we had first half.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

It's ok saying that we are wrong to turn against him now, but we won't stay up with this form and we won't stay up by sacking him when relegated.

The only option we have other than to see this continued awful form is to give somebody else a shot.

Actually we will, we are closer to safety now after they games than we were before the restart.  So while I understand your point, you are actually wrong.  If our rivals continue as they are and we continue the way we are we will gain more points that them and will be safe.

• Like 1

Â