Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

How can you possibly compare us to wolves? Again you need to get your expectations in check because comparing us to wolves is ridiculous. 

Sheffield united are an exception, not the rule. They've done incredibly well. Its all well and good to aspire to achieve that but its not realistic.

And if purslow was aiming higher then he should have done a better job at recruiting then. 

Is it good enough? No, if we go down then we've failed as a club. But we are around where I thought we'd be all season and nothing has changed. 

Comparing our expectations to wolves is ridiculous ? Crikey - we have similar expenditure , maybe the the thing risdiculous is they have a good manager and good recruitment and we have a shit manager and recruitment - purslow himself said wolves were the benchmark - you seem to think of villa as a club the size of Bournemouth or Oldham .

this club has a great fan base , stadium and owners - of course expectations should be higher than 17th - as the ceo himself said .

we are not here to make up the numbers - I expected around 12th to 14th personally but please stop making out we are little Aston Villa who should be grateful to sit at the same table as the mighty wolves 

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

How can you possibly compare us to wolves? Again you need to get your expectations in check because comparing us to wolves is ridiculous. 

Sheffield united are an exception, not the rule. They've done Sheffield united are an exception, not the ruleIts all well and good to aspire to achieve that but its not realistic.

And if purslow was aiming higher then he should have done a better job at recruiting then. 

Is it good enough? No, if we go down then we've failed as a club. But we are around where I thought we'd be all season and nothing has changed. 

Bournemouth. Brighton. Palace. Plenty.

1 minute ago, Eastie said:

this club has a great fan base , stadium and owners - of course expectations should be higher than 17th - as the ceo himself said .

We may have wealthy owners but their decision making is shit.

Watford's owners absolutely brutal this season and didn't stop acting until they found a competent manager.

7 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I mean this is just silly isn't it. 

Not being funny but  may  I ask how long you’ve followed the club as I find some of your comments on expectation levels quite extraordinary ? 

maybe if you are younger and have not seen good times at villa it would explain it a bit 

3 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Bournemouth. Brighton. Palace. Plenty.

Come on Johnny we can’t be compared to clubs like Bournemouth Brighton or palace - they are established premier clubs - we are little Aston Villa ffs 😂

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

We may have wealthy owners but their decision making is shit.

Watford's owners absolutely brutal this season and didn't stop acting until they found a competent manager.

Plus they are absolutely ruthless which i love. None of this " we owe the manager " nonsense that some spout.

Just now, Eastie said:

Come on Johnny we can’t be compared to clubs like Bournemouth Brighton or palace - they are established premier clubs - we are little Aston Villa ffs 😂

We should be compared to the likes of Everton and Newcastle. Similar sized clubs.

It's an absolute disgrace to compare us to Bournemouth.

• Like 1

Did I expect this season to be easy - No

Did I expect us to be near the bottom of the table - Yes.

However, what I didn't expect to see week in week out is the fundamental 'basic' football errors we spend 90 mins doing every game.

The hit and hoof to nowhere, the long ball to Samatta, Wes, with three round him, the constant retreating, having 8 or 9 players in the box and still scoring, the basic formation....what is it, non of which have been addressed since game 1....its the players...its the management...both are simply not good enough for this level and most the championship.

We can never string two passes together, we get the ball and the nearest player is in the car park, the opposition just walk to the edge of the box with ease, we have defenders behind the goal keeper when a cross comes in, we have midfielders on the 6 yard box, we press in one's, easy to play round, the lack of composure on the ball, playing 3 in the middle against 5 every week, the persistent selection of wingers who don't get on the ball and when they do are crap, village standard at best.

Simply not good enough regardless or what other teams have and haven't done.  We need to focus on ourselves and not use others as an excuse, we are where we are because other teams, players, managers are better.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Eastie said:

My bad. Me again with my sense of entitlement. Will i ever learn.

• Like 1

Just now, Johnnyp said:

Plus they are absolutely ruthless which i love. None of this " we owe the manager " nonsense that some spout.

Really was shocking giving smith a new deal in December - we never learn do we 

11 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Sheffield united are an exception, not the rule. They've done incredibly well. Its all well and good to aspire to achieve that but its not realistic.

Sorry but there is no justification for us being 12 and 13 places worse than those.

I might give Wolves who have had a head start. ( Maybe Sheffield in the sense that they have been together longer). However the gap is astronomical.

Can you honestly say Nuno or Wilder would have us performing how we have, even with the same players?

I can't.

3 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

They are.

And for what it's worth i actually do believe in consistency. But it got to be with the right man. Not some bloke from Walsall and Brentford. With nothing but mediocre achievements on his cv.

Edited by villalad21

1 minute ago, Bazmonkey said:

Did I expect this season to be easy - No

Did I expect us to be near the bottom of the table - Yes.

However, what I didn't expect to see week in week out is the fundamental 'basic' football errors we spend 90 mins doing every game.

The hit and hoof to nowhere, the long ball to Samatta, Wes, with three round him, the constant retreating, having 8 or 9 players in the box and still scoring, the basic formation....what is it, non of which have been addressed since game 1....its the players...its the management...both are simply not good enough for this level and most the championship.

We can never string two passes together, we get the ball and the nearest player is in the car park, the opposition just walk to the edge of the box with ease, we have defenders behind the goal keeper when a cross comes in, we have midfielders on the 6 yard box, we press in one's, easy to play round, the lack of composure on the ball, playing 3 in the middle against 5 every week, the persistent selection of wingers who don't get on the ball and when they do are crap, village standard at best.

Simply not good enough regardless or what other teams have and haven't done.  We need to focus on ourselves and not use others as an excuse, we are where we are because other teams, players, managers are better.

I can’t bring myself to type out my thoughts on how bad we are, but this post does a reasonable job of explaining some of them. 

9 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Comparing our expectations to wolves is ridiculous ? Crikey - we have similar expenditure , maybe the the thing risdiculous is they have a good manager and good recruitment and we have a shit manager and recruitment - purslow himself said wolves were the benchmark - you seem to think of villa as a club the size of Bournemouth or Oldham .

we are not here to make up the numbers - I expected around 12th to 14th personally but please stop making out we are little Aston Villa who should be grateful to sit at the same table as the mighty wolves 

Well yes, wolves clearly have better recruitment and a better manager. They also have a super agent which has allowed them to bring in quality players that clubs like wolves usually don't sign. 

Nothing you've said matters. In the previous 10 years we have finished in the top half of the Premier league twice. We have spent the last 3 years in the championship and without a miracle run of games, would still be in there. 

You can spout ambition and where you think we should be but it means nothing. Your ridiculous expectations are more of a problem than the manager. We are a newly promoted team. The aim should be to survive this year and build from there. 

If the CEO expected better then he and his team should have done a better job in the transfer window last summer. We have built a squad barely good enough for this league. Your ambition means nothing compared to that. 

• Like 1

It's not even the league position per say.

We've gone through this before. It's the appalling defensive record. It's the fact we don't turn up to games. Getting outfought most weeks. Pathetic in game management. Dean being reactive apposed to proactive.

Nothing. Absolutely nothing suggests this man will ever make it at this level. So what's the point keeping him around?

Edited by villalad21

Just now, villalad21 said:

It's not even the league position per say.

We've gone through this before. It's the appalling defensive record. It's the fact we don't turn up to games. Getting outfought most weeks. Pathetic in game management. Dean being reactive apposed to proactive.

I agree with some of that. And yet we are 3 points off where we need to be. 

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

You can have it all you want but it doesn't mean anything does it. 

May I ask How long you’ve followed the club ? Maybe the older fan base have different levels of expectation to the younger followers who have seen years of struggle  and toil . 

8 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Sorry but there is no justification for us being 12 and 13 places worse than those.

I might give Wolves who have had a head start. ( Maybe Sheffield in the sense that they have been together longer). However the gap is astronomical.

Can you honestly say Nuno or Wilder would have us performing how we have, even with the same players?

I can't.

There is no justification for us being miles behind wolves? Really? I see plenty. 

Sheffield united are doing incredible but using them as a stick to beat our manager with is crazy. 

That would be like mid table teams wanting their manager sacked when Leicester won the league because they weren't up there challenging..

• Like 1

Â