Christian Purslow

villan-scott

Think we need to be careful what we wish for with Purslow here. It was well reported that Wes and Nas were determined to bring in Thierry Henry when they arrived. It was only when Purslow came on board that a proper recruitment process was put in place and we got Dean Smith. Purslow has made a massive mistake with Gerrard. But I still think he's a safer pair of hands than Wes and Nas sacking him and making their own managerial appointment.

Just now, El-Reacho said:

Think we need to be careful what we wish for with Purslow here. It was well reported that Wes and Nas were determined to bring in Thierry Henry when they arrived. It was only when Purslow came on board that a proper recruitment process was put in place and we got Dean Smith. Purslow has made a massive mistake with Gerrard. But I still think he's a safer pair of hands than Wes and Nas sacking him and making their own managerial appointment.

This just worries me more - says nobody have an idea

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

He's clearly a pretender - wrapped up in the glamour of the game - his basic judgement calls have been very questionable - small man syndrome. 

We don't know what conversations have happened behind closed doors, who made what decisions, or what motivations Purslow, Lange, or the board have.

I find this rewriting of Purslow's character over the last few weeks a bit odd, and unnecessarily personal when it's based on nothing but gut feeling and unsubstantiated rumours.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Rightly so? 

Even the biggest Purslow fan could surely see that he has made some glaring errors over the last 18 months?

He may not go, fine, but let’s not pretend it would be surprising and unjust if he did. 

He’s on borrowed time either way for me.

He appointed a manager that didn't work out.  It happens.  In fact it happens a lot.

The histrionics on here over it are frankly embarrassing.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

We don't know what conversations have happened behind closed doors, who made what decisions, or what motivations Purslow, Lange, or the board have.

I find this rewriting of Purslow's character over the last few weeks a bit odd, and unnecessarily personal when it's based on nothing but gut feeling and unsubstantiated rumours.

He nailed his rep to SG - not smart

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

He appointed a manager that didn't work out.  It happens.  In fact it happens a lot.

I love how in this thread, Purslow is a joke, a fraud, a Gerrard luvvy, and needs to go.

Over in the NSWE thread, they're ruthless, showing their intent, and we're going to get back on the right track.

And we've no idea who pulled the trigger.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

He's also spent about £150m in transfers and I imagine close to £50 in wages too that doesn't seem to be working out. 

I imagine you'd have a different stance if it was your money. One that wasn't, 'oh, he's made one little mistake and it didn't work out'.

Man's a fraud if you ask me.

Just now, Jareth said:

He nailed his rep to SG - not smart

I agree that Gerrard was a poor decision, and keeping him this long was another poor decision. "Small man syndrome" is a bit much though isn't it?

You're not the only one, lots of people are making comments I think are unfairly personal, yours is just the one that made me feel like replying, don't mean to single you out. 

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I love how in this thread, Purslow is a joke, a fraud, a Gerrard luvvy, and needs to go.

Over in the NSWE thread, they're ruthless, showing their intent, and we're going to get back on the right track.

And we've no idea who pulled the trigger.

We've no idea about anything that goes on.  But people get fixated on nonsense spouted on the internet and it suddenly becomes factual in their minds.

• Like 2

Just now, sidcow said:

We've no idea about anything that goes on.  But people get fixated on nonsense spouted on the internet and it suddenly becomes factual in their minds.

What's factual is we're 17th after an easy start to the season. We've got the 7th highest wage bill in the league and we've regularly been in the top 10 for net spend on transfer fees in Europe over the past 3 years, if not the top 5.

Those are the facts. 

You spin it however you want in your mind, but I'll stick to the fact that we're in danger of being relegated having spent vast amounts of money on dross.

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

He's also spent about £150m in transfers and I imagine close to £50 in wages too that doesn't seem to be working out. 

I imagine you'd have a different stance if it was your money. One that wasn't, 'oh, he's made one little mistake and it didn't work out'.

Man's a fraud if you ask me.

Purslow did not personally spend that money.  We have a director of football and a manager and a board, nothing is getting spent without general consensus.  Are you suggesting he should not back his manager?  

We're in for a long search if we try and attract a manager but tell him he's not going to spend any money because were scared about making mistakes with his signings.

I still feel a lot of those players will come good with a proper manager anyway.  I don't feel all the money has been wasted. It will only have been wasted if another manager can't get a song out of them.

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

What's factual is we're 17th after an easy start to the season. We've got the 7th highest wage bill in the league and we've regularly been in the top 10 for net spend on transfer fees in Europe over the past 3 years, if not the top 5.

Those are the facts. 

You spin it however you want in your mind, but I'll stick to the fact that we're in danger of being relegated having spent vast amounts of money on dross.

Good for you 👍

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

He's clearly a pretender - wrapped up in the glamour of the game - his basic judgement calls have been very questionable - small man syndrome. 

Talking absolute rubbish here. Do you know him personally to label him with "small man syndrome" ?

Pretty ridiculous thing to say 

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I agree that Gerrard was a poor decision, and keeping him this long was another poor decision. "Small man syndrome" is a bit much though isn't it?

You're not the only one, lots of people are making comments I think are unfairly personal, yours is just the one that made me feel like replying, don't mean to single you out. 

No worries dude - just pissed off - rediscovering the anger after Smith was sacked - I like Purslow but his judgement is questionable, SG has failed massively and my feeling is that he needs to get on with running the club and leave the football decisions to the blokes with the billions who after all got involved cos they watch a lot of football 

Wow, some of these claims about Purslow are just embarrassing. He held Gerrard to the same standards as Smith, and for me, that’s perfectly fair. 

Gerrard is gone. The problem isn’t Purslow. I think this projection onto him because of Steven needs to stop. He’s certainly made mistakes. But some of the comments are just not necessary. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Would you have hired SG after smith?

I didnt want him

However the guys appointed two managers. One was a success one was a failure.  Smiths appointment saved the club. So how does that warrant small man syndrome?

Name me a club that hasnt made a managerial mistake? Look how many utd have made, liverpool, chelsea spurs. Arsenal they all have

If your going to crucify the man on one bad managerial appointment then i dont think footballs for you. 

Edited by Demitri_C

9 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Purslow did not personally spend that money.  We have a director of football and a manager and a board, nothing is getting spent without general consensus.  Are you suggesting he should not back his manager?  

We're in for a long search if we try and attract a manager but tell him he's not going to spend any money because were scared about making mistakes with his signings.

I still feel a lot of those players will come good with a proper manager anyway.  I don't feel all the money has been wasted. It will only have been wasted if another manager can't get a song out of them.

This just doesn't make sense to me, no disrespect. The buck stops with the CEO, in any company. Just because we have a DOF and a manager, it doesn't mean the blame lies away from Purslow. He hired these people and he signs the cheques. 
Should he back the manager? Yes, of course, but not implicitly to the point you undo all of the good work you've done in the years prior. Most successful clubs build a system whereby the manager slots in to a much bigger picture. Yes, he has a hand in who we sign, but the DOF and the scouting team are the ones that sign and identify the right players in a system that benefits the club in the long run. Where is the mileage in signing Ings, Digne, Carlos and Coutinho? Yes, we need a few experienced heads but that lot cost around £100m and their combined weekly wage is close to £500k a week. That's a combined total of £178m over the next 3 years on those 4 players alone (some actually have a 4yr deal) That is absolutely mental, especially when half of them sit on the bench and they have no resale value. 

Sometimes you need to look at things from a top line perspective without the nuances and caveats. We're 17th, in danger of relegation with a wage bill the size of a small countries GDP and a mind blowing net transfer spend for a club who don't qualify for Europe. 

He's doing a poor job. No two ways about it. 

Edited by Delphinho123

Just now, Demitri_C said:

I didnt want him

However the guys appointed two managers. One was a success one was a failure.  Smiths appointment saved the club. So how does that warrant small man syndrome?

Name me a club that hasnt made a managerial mistake? Look how many utd have made, liverpool, chelsea spurs. Arsenal they all have

All your going to crucify the man on one bad managerial appointment then i dont think footballs for you. 

I think that's quite forgiving - SG was a bad idea at the start, let alone the end. Purslow rimmed SG, he did so at pool and he did at Villa. Why? Because Purslow adored the association. That is small. 

Â