Christian Purslow

villan-scott

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

It’s worth looking more at the job he did at Liverpool. In particular, giving the job to Dalglish and spending all that money on dross like Andy Carroll. 

I don’t think he has a very good record on the footballing side of things at all. 

Looking more and more like some intelligent, posh Liverpool fanboy. 

Someone will defend him with some nonsense about only needing to sell the club. 

I mentioned it before but type Purslow Liverpool into Google and it returns some very negative articles about him. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Do your job Purslow. Your gerrard experiment was a failure , fix it now.

He is a CEO.

Footballing decisions shouldn't be a part of his job.

Should stick to finances and commercial deals and let football people make footballing decisions.

Edited by Pinebro

Purslow is the route of our problems. I was saddened by but didn’t particularly disagree with Deano’s sacking. However I’m now annoyed that the motive for his sacking appears to be to install the CEO’s hero and bask in the limelight. A move that was dressed up as an inability to move the club forward. Since this contemptuous manoeuvre, we have gone way backwards in terms of both style of play and results.

To continue with this farcical situation for no reason other than to protect his pal and his own ego is beyond belief. Questions must also be asked about his appointment of Lange, who has yet to make any appointments that could be described as anything better than average and obvious. The best thing about the club at the moment is the academy, which up to now he probably regards to be too far from the limelight to interest him. We need to get shot of him before he gets his weasel like fingers onto that too.

ROK a long term colleague of Dean and then JT, who seemed to love it here, both suddenly and mysteriously leave. Something stinks and goes deeper than just the manager. Wake up NSWE and cut the poison out quickly. We no longer feel like a well run club on the up. 

• Like 4

We need a DoF. Between Purslow and Lange they've made a right balls up of things. So much good work undone by some terrible decision making. Since the moment Grealish left it's been disaster after disaster. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

We need a DoF. Between Purslow and Lange they've made a right balls up of things. So much good work undone by some terrible decision making. Since the moment Grealish left it's been disaster after disaster. 

Yeah. Of course, we already have a DoF — sporting director is just another name for it. But Lange certainly isn’t the industry heavyweight Villa need. He’s either doing a poor job, or is sidelined by more powerful personalities in the form of Gerrard and Purslow.

Every club that is successful in the long run has a strong DoF, someone who has the last word on football matters (within budget limits obviously).

Villa’s leadership structure doesn’t look good. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Purslow is the route of our problems. I was saddened by but didn’t particularly disagree with Deano’s sacking. However I’m now annoyed that the motive for his sacking appears to be to install the CEO’s hero and bask in the limelight. A move that was dressed up as an inability to move the club forward. Since this contemptuous manoeuvre, we have gone way backwards in terms of both style of play and results. 

With all due respect, this sounds a little bonkers, reading into our failures on the pitch all kind of dark motives and evidence of devious personality/character flaws that just aren't there, IMO.

Christian Purslow the root of our problems? This tendency to look for the man causing all the problems is partly what ails us. There's lots of blame to go around, as I see it. What we have is more a process problem, not a personnel issue, even as terrible as, for example, Ollie was today. We are not learning. That's what our problem is. It's actually an educational and organizational flaw. More than goals, strikers, new management, or a new crest, we need a new way of learning from our mistakes, and that's where the crisis lies. 

It's not hard to see that Purslow's ambitions for Villa are authentic, and he doesn't seem particularly ego-maniacal to me, as Harvard MBAs go. I'll grant that he's fairly immersed in boring bizspeak in interviews, but I also think he's been somewhat distracted in recent weeks with personal issues. 

Is he learning? I don't know. That's my bigger concern. I actually think Gerrard is finally starting to figure some things out. We learn through failures, not successes.  

I have no doubt that Purslow genuinely felt Gerrard was a good pick (he along with thousands of others), and I think Purslow comes off in recent weeks as concerned but not panicked. I don't think he will ever get panicked either. That's just not his style. I sure hope we don't lose him, personally. But I also think he needs to join in the learning process more full-heartedly. He may not grasp that. But I think he will have to.

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

With all due respect, this sounds a little bonkers, reading into our failures on the pitch all kind of dark motives and evidence of devious personality/character flaws that just aren't there, IMO.

Christian Purslow the root of our problems? This tendency to look for the man causing all the problems is partly what ails us. There's lots of blame to go around, as I see it. What we have is more a process problem, not a personnel issue, even as terrible as, for example, Ollie was today. We are not learning. That's what our problem is. It's actually an educational and organizational flaw. More than goals, strikers, new management, or a new crest, we need a new way of learning from our mistakes, and that's where the crisis lies. 

It's not hard to see that Purslow's ambitions for Villa are authentic, and he doesn't seem particularly ego-maniacal to me, as Harvard MBAs go. I'll grant that he's fairly immersed in boring bizspeak in interviews, but I also think he's been somewhat distracted in recent weeks with personal issues. 

Is he learning? I don't know. That's my bigger concern. I actually think Gerrard is finally starting to figure some things out. We learn through failures, not successes.  

I have no doubt that Purslow genuinely felt Gerrard was a good pick (he along with thousands of others), and I think Purslow comes off in recent weeks as concerned but not panicked. I don't think he will ever get panicked either. That's just not his style. I sure hope we don't lose him, personally. But I also think he needs to join in the learning process more full-heartedly. He may not grasp that. But I think he will have to.

I’m sorry Marka I respect your opinion but I don’t agree with you. Intentionally or not he’s doing the club harm at the moment, driven I think by his huge ego and well documented love of the limelight. Which are not good characteristics for a man in his position of responsibility 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Purslow loves Gerrard

Interesting article in the independent when we appointed Gerrard. 

I like this bit. 

Would be funny if he wasn't the man ruining all the good work of Dean, Jack and others over the last few years. 

Obviously, the article has made an impression. And a nice little class-warfare narrative tucked into Evans' football reporting nonsense based on such well-known sources as "a member of the team" lol. No, the Hahvad-educated private equity trader who plays polo or whatever musn't offend the earthy salt-o-the-erth  Scouse culture. Jesus.  

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

I’m sorry Marka I respect your opinion but I don’t agree with you. Intentionally or not he’s doing the club harm at the moment, driven I think by his huge ego and well documented love of the limelight. Which are not good characteristics for a man in his position of responsibility 

Oh, Dave, believe me -- I don't deserve respect, but thank you. 😉

Â