Christian Purslow

villan-scott

17 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Apart from the fact he chooses the manager and tells lange what the transfer policy should be. 

Selecting the manager is clearly his responsibility as the CEO as the manager needs to report into the CEO, this is the same at every football club. Deciding the transfer policy is a strategic decision by the club. Strategic decisions are agreed a board level and are not by just the CEO. It is the CEO's job to deliver on the strategy as set out and agreed with the BOD. 

Edited by Peter Griffin
Fixed a typo

On 08/09/2022 at 13:38, Peter Griffin said:

Selecting the manager is clearly his responsibility as the CEO as the manager needs to report into the CEO, this is the same at every football club. Deciding the transfer policy is a strategic decision by the club. Strategic decisions are agreed a board level and are not by just the CEO. It is the CEO's job to deliver on the strategy as set out and agreed with the BOD. 

So what does the DOF do?  Purslow is a great business man, not a football man. He shouldn’t be choosing the manager.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

So what does the DOF do?  Purslow is a great business man, not a football man. He shouldn’t be choosing the manager is the club. 

The manager reports into the CEO, he must be employed by the CEO. The CEO will/should take council from others at the club regarding the quality of the candidate. This is how senior positions in all business work

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

The manager reports into the CEO, he must be employed by the CEO. The CEO will/should take council from others at the club regarding the quality of the candidate. This is how senior positions in all business work

The head coach leads into the sporting director. The sporting director to the CEO. In reality the profile of the role means that the CEO will be keen to know what's going on, but certainly should not be leading a recruitment. 

5 minutes ago, Dale said:

The head coach leads into the sporting director. The sporting director to the CEO. In reality the profile of the role means that the CEO will be keen to know what's going on, but certainly should not be leading a recruitment. 

Are u saying SG reports to Lange?

On 08/09/2022 at 01:58, Peter Griffin said:

Hodgson was a perfect fit for Liverpool. Purslow's job was to sell Liverpool FC, it was not to win the league nor build a team for the future. He sacked Rafa who wanted to spend money and employed a safe pair of hands in Hodgson in July 2010. In Oct 2010. Hodgson after Hodgson only spent 15m on transfers, Purslow successfully sold Liverpool to their current owners. Purslow played a blinder at Liverpool which led him to getting jobs at Chelsea and Villa 

Type in Christian Purslow Liverpool in Google and see how many positive articles are written about him. 

I thought these quotes seem quite relevant. 

Liverpool.com

"Worse, he made the assumption with a club who have idolised and immortalised figures such as Bill Shankly and Bob Paisley, men who brought not only a tenacious ability to win top honours but also a relatable amount of humility and decency to their trade. That the self proclaimed “Fernando Torres of finance” thought this was in any way plausible gives explanation as to why the players renamed him “Forrest Gump”, according to an article published by Tony Evans in The Telegraph earlier this year, apparently due to his desire to be the central figure of all matters."

Joe.ie

"Even still, ending up in Rafa Benitez' black book of enemies is no disgrace; by the end of his time at Liverpool Rafa had taken a lot of names. More damaging was Benitez' accusation - made against nameless "directors" but obviously aimed at Purslow - that his bosses at Liverpool "knew nothing about football. You couldn't talk to them about football."

Independent

"Purslow, the founder of a private equity firm, was brought in to find a new buyer. Instead many believe he sold the club’s soul."

Edited by DCJonah
  • Like 2

Whilst i'm a massive Purslow defender, I do agree that we need Football experts deciding Football matters.

Yes he should have input and final approval but that's about it.

I think he's a brilliant Business person, and I really don't think we would even have NSWE without him.

He does have valuable knowledge of the local game as well.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Are u saying SG reports to Lange?

That's the way the structure we've adopted is supposed to work. Sporting Directors are better set to assess performance and select coaches. The 

24 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Type in Christian Purslow Liverpool in Google and see how many positive articles are written about him. 

I thought these quotes seem quite relevant. 

Liverpool.com

"Worse, he made the assumption with a club who have idolised and immortalised figures such as Bill Shankly and Bob Paisley, men who brought not only a tenacious ability to win top honours but also a relatable amount of humility and decency to their trade. That the self proclaimed “Fernando Torres of finance” thought this was in any way plausible gives explanation as to why the players renamed him “Forrest Gump”, according to an article published by Tony Evans in The Telegraph earlier this year, apparently due to his desire to be the central figure of all matters."

Joe.ie

"Even still, ending up in Rafa Benitez' black book of enemies is no disgrace; by the end of his time at Liverpool Rafa had taken a lot of names. More damaging was Benitez' accusation - made against nameless "directors" but obviously aimed at Purslow - that his bosses at Liverpool "knew nothing about football. You couldn't talk to them about football."

Independent

"Purslow, the founder of a private equity firm, was brought in to find a new buyer. Instead many believe he sold the club’s soul."

Fans are very emotional and rarely ever see the big picture. When are those quotes from, I am guessing quite a while ago? Purslow was tasked with selling Liverpool FC, not to build a football team. He succeeded at his task. Furthermore, he sold Liverpool FC to its current owners who have just brought Liverpool through 4 or 5 years of outstanding success on the pitch while playing exciting football and lifting every trophy possible. I doubt those same fans are complaining now about the job he did at Liverpool FC

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Whilst i'm a massive Purslow defender, I do agree that we need Football experts deciding Football matters.

Yes he should have input and final approval but that's about it.

I think he's a brilliant Business person, and I really don't think we would even have NSWE without him.

He does have valuable knowledge of the local game as well.

I agree, but what footballing matter is he involved in? As CEO he needs to employ the manager.

Just an aside, NSWE bought AVFC about 2 or 3 months prior to NSWE employing Purslow. 

On 02/09/2022 at 17:16, thejoker said:

Just seen a few tweets saying that the Villa Trust AGM on 8th September has been cancelled due to “unforeseen circumstances”. Either Purslow is having a busy week or he’s bottled it. 

He was right though!

Massive unforeseen circumstances. 

See @Genie, Purslow was ITK - he knew the announcement was coming last night. 

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Dale said:

That's the way the structure we've adopted is supposed to work. Sporting Directors are better set to assess performance and select coaches. The 

That's not my understanding. I am of the belief that Lange and SG both report to Purslow. Lange sets the football strategy and SG has to work to it with the players. Its the same as a CFO and CTO both reporting to the CEO. The CFO sets the budget and how and when money can be spent and the CTO must work to this

55 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

apparently due to his desire to be the central figure of all matters."

I can imagine he would be quite controlling around the club. I don't think that's a good thing when he starts getting involved in matters that are outside his job remit. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Zatman said:

It should be Lange job to find a new manager

Nice tactical change of wording from 'employ' to 'find' 🤣

It would be very surprising if the club did not also seek outside advice from a consultancy company when looking to 'find' a new manager. This is normal work practice. But it is absolutely should be the CEO's job to make the final decision and employ them as they report into the CEO

41 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Fans are very emotional and rarely ever see the big picture. When are those quotes from, I am guessing quite a while ago? Purslow was tasked with selling Liverpool FC, not to build a football team. He succeeded at his task. Furthermore, he sold Liverpool FC to its current owners who have just brought Liverpool through 4 or 5 years of outstanding success on the pitch while playing exciting football and lifting every trophy possible. I doubt those same fans are complaining now about the job he did at Liverpool FC

So what you’re saying is… Purslow might actually not be so bad at making big decisions?

Â