The great goalkeepers thread

NurembergVillan

Let's talk about the great and the good from the mad, mad world of goalkeeping.

Could be from the distant past - Yashin, Banks.  Could be from the recent past - Seaman, Casillas.  Could be from today - De Gea, Neuer.

For me it's a position that is undervalued, and one that tends to only really get noticed if the incumbent is weak.  I guess great keepers will get plaudits but good ones tend to just, I dunno, be there.  Mark Schwarzer was a solid goalkeeper for years, but he only played for a big club at the end of his career as third choice.  Our own Nigel Spink never really got the credit he deserved outside of VP.

IMO Buffon is the greatest of all time.  He's still in the top 10 keepers in the world, even though he's closer to 60 than he is to the age when he made his debut.

Anyway, goalkeepers. Lets go!

• Like 1

Peter Schmeichel was instrumental in Man Utd's success. He was worth an extra 10-15 points a year. 

Big Neville Southall was fantastic when I was younger despite looking like a tramp!

I agree with you about Spink, he was underrated, but a lot of keepers were back then - most of the top division teams had very solid and dependable keepers. 

• Like 1

Think goalkeeping tougher these days with social media but important position. Also now its harder to find great keepers 

De Gea and Neuer are great but others not so special like Courtois, Lloris, Allison, ederson, etc

I don't really play much football but when I do, I'm a goalkeeper.  I do try to pay attention to goalies' performances when watching games, although obviously the role has changed quite a lot at the top level over the last few years.  It's also interesting to see the fees being paid recently for them - in one sense it's like the footballing world (well, particularly the top end of the Premier League) has woken up and actually realised the importance of a good goalkeeper.  And also now they truly are an eleventh footballer for the sides with money to throw around, those who are confident with the ball at their feet gain even more value.

I passionately hated Man United growing up during their 90s dominance, but always really liked Schmeichel.  Even though he was well past his best, I was delighted when he signed for us.  Loved Mark Bosnich too, obviously.  No-one since him has been as good.

Buffon is an absolute legend - another player like Schmeichel playing in a dominant team who are easy to despise, but who has my utmost respect and admiration.  He's still a great keeper and I'd be happy to see him go on forever, and I'd really like to see him win the Champions League (just a shame it'd be with PSG if so) but I don't think he will, and he's not what he was.

• Like 1

Buffon is a tremendous player and it's such a shame that he hasn't won the Champions League.

Rene Higuita is a very underappreciated keeper. Everyone just remembers him for the crazy scorpion kick (which was brilliant in itself) but he helped to pioneer sweeper keeping. He was viewed as crazy for playing the ball short to defenders, for coming out of his box and collecting the ball and dribbling the way he did but he has helped to set the scene for the modern day keeper and changed the game.

Peter Shilton. Would have had 150 caps for England if not for the slightly odd job share he had for a while with Ray Clemence.

Agree Spink was underrated.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrDuck said:

Peter Shilton. Would have had 150 caps for England if not for the slightly odd job share he had for a while with Ray Clemence.

Shilton was great but think by Italia 90 he was past it and perhaps shouldn't have started. 

was in the football museum yesterday, cant remember what we were looking at (i think it was USA 94) but it brought up the conversation of jorge campos, myyounger friend had never heard of him, i think if you want to say "mad" goalkeepers he's got to be somewhere near the top

CJOq23fWIAARwga.jpg

might be my age but 94 had some good forgotten keepers campos, illgner and kopke, taffarel, ravelli, zubizarreta, pagliuca, bonner, preud'homme, ed de goij! a 21 year old al-deayea

Edited by villa4europe

1 hour ago, villan-scott said:

Courtois is a funny one as I’ve never thought he was truly that great.

cant think when it was during the world cup but for some reason i stopped and thought that courtois is **** huge! he's over 6ft 5, he has incredibly long limbs, he's 10cm taller than lloris, 15cm taller than pickford, 8cm taller than schmeichel

i think there was a couple of saves that he pulled off that looked great but the more i thought about it the more it seemed like its his incredible reach rather than his ability to stretch

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

was in the football museum yesterday, cant remember what we were looking at (i think it was USA 94) but it brought up the conversation of jorge campos, myyounger friend had never heard of him, i think if you want to say "mad" goalkeepers he's got to be somewhere near the top

CJOq23fWIAARwga.jpg

might be my age but 94 had some good forgotten keepers campos, illgner and kopke, taffarel, ravelli, zubizarreta, pagliuca, bonner, preud'homme, ed de goij! a 21 year old al-deayea

Bonner was crap keeper. Cost Ireland in 2 world cups

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

CJOq23fWIAARwga.jpg

Absolutely shocking keeper of the highest order, pathetic in France 98 and Japan/Korea 2002, always thought Kopke was awful, he didn't play in 94, he did in 98 and made a howler against Croatia I think it was. Illgner IMO extremely underrated keeper, terrific in Italia 90. 

Jean-Marie Pfaff and Michel Preud'homme. Belgium had these two back to back from the 70s through the 90s. Magnificent keepers and fantastic hairdos.

• Like 2

Â