The great goalkeepers thread

NurembergVillan

22 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

Speaking of 1990 for a minute, I always thought growing up that Walter Zenga was unbeatable.  Perhaps he had a fantastic defence in front of him though?     

Takes me back also to when Kent Nielsen beat Zenga with a thunderbolt at Villa Park in the same year.  Happy times.  

He had a great defence in front of him at both Inter and Italy. 

Still a decent keeper though

10 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

You could say the same about the modern keepers and having to pass like an outfield player .

Well kinda, but not quite. That's more of an organic evolvement imo.

Going from one season where you could catch back-passes with your hands even heading towards the far top corner to the season after where you are not allowed to use your hands was a game changer and put a lot of pressure on goalies and the more old school defenders.

• Like 1

Further to the above, I'd recommend this book if anyone wants to do some reading on Goalkeepers.

71+YuoyfOQL.jpg

A brilliant history of the goalkeeper by the always excellent Jonathan Wilson.

On ‎20‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 18:08, Xela said:

Woods and Beasant were the others in the squad plus Seaman, Lukic, Coton and Spink were also around.

I think by 1990, Shilts was 41 and in my mind, was far from his best. 

Seaman was named in the 90 WC squad, but got injured. Dave 'Lurch' Beasant took his place

Just thinking of 90's goalies, Mark Crossley had a great reputation for saving pens.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Unused Sub said:

Just thinking of 90's goalies, Mark Crossley had a great reputation for saving pens.

Only keeper to ever save a LeTissier penalty!

• 8 months later...
On 25/08/2018 at 14:12, Tomaszk said:

Interested to see how Allison gets on this season.

He definitely plays like he knows he's good.

Yep, he definitely knows he's good and it helps his game. Cock-ups don't phase him.

Keepers like him and Ederson are a welcome addition to modern football. Feels like Victor Valdes led with this style but these lads are a big step up. Valdes was more a product of the system, don't recall him knocking it round like an outfield player until Pep popped up.

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

Yep, he definitely knows he's good and it helps his game. Cock-ups don't phase him.

Keepers like him and Ederson are a welcome addition to modern football. Feels like Victor Valdes led with this style but these lads are a big step up. Valdes was more a product of the system, don't recall him knocking it round like an outfield player until Pep popped up.

Valdes was never really that good though, was he? He seems to make a lot of howlers for how little he often has to do. 

Allison is just class though. I hate Liverpool, but he's been a fantastic signing. Such an imposing figure and doesn't really have a weakness. 

44 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Valdes was never really that good though, was he? He seems to make a lot of howlers for how little he often has to do. 

Allison is just class though. I hate Liverpool, but he's been a fantastic signing. Such an imposing figure and doesn't really have a weakness. 

He wasn't great I agree, considering that side will be in many discussions for the best teams ever. Just the style I mean really. He was definitely the first keeper I'd seen knock it around with defenders to that extent.

Yeah Valdes' biggest strength was his footwork and he was one of the first keepers at that level to be able to play like that, so he suited Barcelona perfectly at the time. I don't think he was actually that great.

No surprise that he did very little once he left Barca

17 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah Valdes' biggest strength was his footwork and he was one of the first keepers at that level to be able to play like that, so he suited Barcelona perfectly at the time. I don't think he was actually that great.

No surprise that he did very little once he left Barca

I thought he was good at one-on-ones too.  Most of Barca's defensive work is having to deal with counter-attacks when they lose the ball so you need a keeper who can do that, rather than dealing with set pieces or organisation.  Ter Stegan looks like a big upgrade on Valdes.

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

I thought he was good at one-on-ones too.  Most of Barca's defensive work is having to deal with counter-attacks when they lose the ball so you need a keeper who can do that, rather than dealing with set pieces or organisation.  Ter Stegan looks like a big upgrade on Valdes.

Doesn't get enough recognition imho.  I think he's a fabulous goalkeeper.  He's got the lot.

4 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Alisson is as overrated as it gets, he makes so many kicking mistakes and dreadful at crosses. If played for Arsenal or Chelsea be pointed out daily

34 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Doesn't get enough recognition imho.  I think he's a fabulous goalkeeper.  He's got the lot.

At the start i wasn't really a fan but he rarely makes mistakes now. Navas I think is ridiculously underrated aswell.

Â