The great goalkeepers thread

NurembergVillan

Was big fan of Bruce Grobalaar in 80s! the mad head!

People like Steve Ogrizovic and Dave Beasant played for years and years! Beasant was on subs bench for Stevenage aged 52 a few years back

Ogrizovic is one of the first team coaches at Coventry (Saw him bark out instructions from Dug Out)

Then our ex Head Scout Tony Coton (Now at Sunderland as Head Of Recruitment) One of the best keepers never to play for England. Remember when he got sent off and Niall Quinn went in goal and saved a penalty from our ex striker Dean Saunders when he was at Derby season or 2 before we signed him in 93 :)

Pen save here:

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Villan4Life said:

This Chap!! Loved him as a kid and perfected the Scorpion Kick myself (Which took years lol

what happened to him after is an even better story! why he isnt on the list for the world cup 94 keepers, he wasnt fit enough, he spent 7 months in prison after being involved in a kidnapping on behalf of pablo escobar (from memory he got paid to deliver the ransom)

and then theres the plastic surgery...

4344324_higuitacambio140110a_jpegc9e3d65

15 hours ago, StewieGriffin said:

Pagliuca

Image result for pagliuca villa

Jorge Campos another great shout.  5'6" and 130 caps for Mexico, along with quite a few goals in his domestic career - the goalkeeper/striker role should be more common!  I used to love watching the Mexican side in the 90s, with Campos in goal and  Luis Hernández up front.  And of course,  great kits.  Got to love a crazy keeper kit.

Along with him and Chilavert, a big shout for Rogério Ceni when it comes to goalscoring #1s.  His 100th career goal:

7 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Mark Bosnich - could’ve been a true great but for that move to Manure and his head not being straight! 

Shame as his career nosedived rapidly after leaving us 

I so agree. Didn't reach his full potential and not a great, but he will be my favourite keeper.

Happy to see he has straightened up, and is now a very good pundit for football in Australia.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Xela said:

Shilton was great but think by Italia 90 he was past it and perhaps shouldn't have started. 

But who would you play? Turner instead? Chris Woods? No thx - Shilts was still the top at that point despite being older.

1990 was Englands 1st penalty shootout and some players are quoted as saying “have you ever seen Shilts save one of these?”

Hindsight etc.

I grew up playing in goal, all the way through to my late 20's. Did some coaching too. Still play every now and then.

But it definitely gives you an appreciation for the position that i don't think you can always have if you haven't played the position (I'm guess that's true for any position).

Growing up Schmeichel was always the best keeper I knew of. I loved it when we signed him, even though I think his time here is very overrated by Villa fans. He wasn't actually very good for us, relatively speaking.

I still think at his peak he was the best ever, but if you add longevity in then I can't look past Buffon. He's been world class for almost as long as I can remember watching football.

For Villa, Bosnich was my idol growing up. Still the best keeper I've ever seen at Villa (I was too young for Spink. I only remember the very tail end of his Villa career which was after Bosnich had taken the number 1 spot).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

For Villa, Bosnich was my idol growing up

In the few years he had at the top, I reckon he was one of the very best shot-stoppers in the world at the time. Unreal spring in his get-off and reflexes to boot.

Schmeichel had that and everything else though.

• Like 1

i think my problem with schmeichel is i didnt appreciate how good he was because i was a teenager at school surrounded by horrible arrogant utd fans and he was the epitome of a horrible arrogant utd player

"did you see that amazing schmeichel save last night?"

"yeah but he's still a dick"

• Like 1

Canizares. Back when La Liga was an absolute must watch on Sunday night before school in the morning. The only thing good about Sunday evenings.

Not big, not tall but super quick, super athletic. fearless, always off his line, taking responsibility and loved a needless punch. Proper entertainer.

Was one of the goalies back then who would also dare to wear white boots, which always stood out as a young kid.

• Like 4

Â