The great goalkeepers thread

NurembergVillan

18 minutes ago, MrDuck said:

Shout out for Pat Jennings too, very good keeper.

We had some great keepers for a while... Rimmer, Spink, Bosnich. All downhill from there though :(

It's not been all bad from there.

James had his calamitous moments but I think he was a good keeper for us overall.

Friedel as well was a good keeper during his time here.

It's true though that we've lacked a great keeper that you can rely on for years.

I've been supporting Villa since 1990: Bozzie was the best, followed by James & Spinky.

James was here for just 2 seasons and off the top of my head he made probably 2/3 mistakes in his time here.

Unfortunately, one of these was in the 2000 cup final. Very underrated, he came to us at a low ebb and left us with his stock considerably enhanced.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Canizares. Back when La Liga was an absolute must watch on Sunday night before school in the morning. The only thing good about Sunday evenings.

Not big, not tall but super quick, super athletic. fearless, always off his line, taking responsibility and loved a needless punch. Proper entertainer.

Was one of the goalies back then who would also dare to wear white boots, which always stood out as a young kid.

who was the french guy who played in serie A for fiorentina? he was similar, amazing shot stopping highlight reel, ropey punches, really eccentric, think he died his hair bleach blonde too

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

who was the french guy who played in serie A for fiorentina? he was similar, amazing shot stopping highlight reel, ropey punches, really eccentric, think he died his hair bleach blonde too

Sebastien Frey? Didn't see much of him play but he definitely played for Fiorentina as I took them on a 10 season run in an old version of Football Manager :D

Gregory Coupet was another french keeper with a good highlight reel. Made one of the best saves of all time from, I THINK, Rivaldo. I'd link it but can't get on YouTube at work.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

I always rated Sorensen though he also had a mistake in him ?

He completely ignored his near post for the majority of the time he was here.

He was a proper PL lower/mid level keeper. 

Very much a 6/10.  But I liked him because he clearly enjoyed his time at Villa. 

24 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Gregory Coupet was another french keeper with a good highlight reel. Made one of the best saves of all time from, I THINK, Rivaldo. I'd link it but can't get on YouTube at work.

I know some Atletico fans who dread to hear the name Coupet ? he was so bad for them

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

I know some Atletico fans who dread to hear the name Coupet ? he was so bad for them

That's why I was careful to say he had a good highlight reel rather than he was a great keeper ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Sebastien Frey? Didn't see much of him play but he definitely played for Fiorentina as I took them on a 10 season run in an old version of Football Manager :D

yeah its frey im thinking of!

looked overweight, had funny hair, always flapped at stuff, pushed the ball back in the danger area but had amazing reflexes and strong hands making a perfect highlight reel

11 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

But who would you play? Turner instead? Chris Woods? No thx - Shilts was still the top at that point despite being older.

1990 was Englands 1st penalty shootout and some players are quoted as saying “have you ever seen Shilts save one of these?”

Hindsight etc.

Woods and Beasant were the others in the squad plus Seaman, Lukic, Coton and Spink were also around.

I think by 1990, Shilts was 41 and in my mind, was far from his best. 

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Here it is

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Xela said:

Woods and Beasant were the others in the squad plus Seaman, Lukic, Coton and Spink were also around.

I think by 1990, Shilts was 41 and in my mind, was far from his best. 

Speaking of 1990 for a minute, I always thought growing up that Walter Zenga was unbeatable.  Perhaps he had a fantastic defence in front of him though?     

Takes me back also to when Kent Nielsen beat Zenga with a thunderbolt at Villa Park in the same year.  Happy times.  

11 hours ago, Zatman said:

Bosnich made a save vs Coventry with his feet that i think was probably 95% luck but when i was younger it was best save ever

That was a one in a million save. Soldvelt hit volley in the box, think it hit ugo on the shoulder and mid air dive Bozzie sticks out his foot and kicks it away.

His best individual performance for us was probably away to Sunderland in the league cup in I think 1993. There's a video of the game on the Villaboy YT channel. Well worth a look for anyone who hasn't seen it. I imagine many will say Tranmere though.

That's the thing with Bozzie, big game player. We simply haven't had enough of them in last 15 years. If you look at the 90s season reviews he actually makes plenty of mistakes with misjudgements coming for balls in the penalty area (Atletico Madrid second leg) but you knew with his mentality he'd shake it off and do a match winning save ten minutes later.

Sad what happened to him afterwards, waste of pretty much 10 years of his career. When Australia played in the 2006 world cup he was still only 34. Played his last game for them in 2000.

Bernard Lama was a keeper I always had a weird liking for.

Post above, I also had a soft spot for Sorenson probably for the song we sang from the Holte before kick off.

I also had a weird appreciation for Nigel Martyn. As @Stevo985 said. I grew up playing in the position and probably took more notice of keepers. As was my scramble for the latest Reusch gloves. Who remembers them?

12 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

It's not been all bad from there.

James had his calamitous moments but I think he was a good keeper for us overall.

Friedel as well was a good keeper during his time here.

It's true though that we've lacked a great keeper that you can rely on for years.

Forgot about Friedel, he was pretty solid.

In retrospect James was good, just seemed like a downgrade after Bosnich... which I suppose anyone would.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

Bernard Lama was a keeper I always had a weird liking for.

Post above, I also had a soft spot for Sorenson probably for the song we sang from the Holte before kick off.

I also had a weird appreciation for Nigel Martyn. As @Stevo985 said. I grew up playing in the position and probably took more notice of keepers. As was my scramble for the latest Reusch gloves. Who remembers them?

You can still find 'em. (no seriously I think they're still a pretty big in the glove game)

I had a pair of Bosnich Reusch gloves when I was a lad.

Around 2001-2002 Oliver Kahn was like a living brick wall. Thought he was a great keeper. Declined quickly after 2003 due to injuries and age I think, seemed to peak in his mid 30's. Most people will probably remember the fumble he made in the 2002 world Cup final which is a shame. 

Also have Buffon and Cassilias top of my list of goalies that I've seen enough to judge.

Absolutely love Buffon and even at £45m or whatever back in 2001 he's still one of the best value for money deals ever made i football.

Casillias has won everything you can win basically at least once and it's not like he didn't have competition in Spain and still got 167 caps.

Also a shout out to @Tegis for mentioning Phaff and Preud´homme. Absolutely loved that Belgium team from the 86 WC, the players, the kits (I had a full kit knock off one) and especially Phaff. Been rooting for them since then.

On another note it must have been strange and difficult for the goalies coming through in the 80's when they changed the back-pass rule in 92.

Remember a lot of previously rather good goalies looking suddenly very shaky and having their careers coming to a halt.

Edited by sne

49 minutes ago, sne said:

Also have Buffon and Cassilias top of my list of goalies that I've seen enough to judge.

Absolutely love Buffon and even at £45m or whatever back in 2001 he's still one of the best value for money deals ever made i football.

Casillias has won everything you can win basically at least once and it's not like he didn't have competition in Spain and still got 167 caps.

Also a shout out to @Tegis for mentioning Phaff and Preud´homme. Absolutely loved that Belgium team from the 86 WC, the players, the kits (I had a full kit knock off one) and especially Phaff. Been rooting for them since then.

On another note it must have been strange and difficult for the goalies coming through in the 80's when they changed the back-pass rule in 92.

Remember a lot of previously rather good goalies looking suddenly very shaky and having their careers coming to a halt.

Pat Bonner is reason back pass was introduced in 1990.

Ireland did have positive impact om football

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sne said:

You could say the same about the modern keepers and having to pass like an outfield player .

Â