John McGinn

PompeyVillan

1 minute ago, AV82 said:

McGinn once again playing well in an advanced position. Completely wasted in his current position for us.

I agree. In his earlier days, he was box to box but definitely think the way Scotland use him, seems to bring best out of him. When Smith played him further forward a couple of seasons ago, he was receiving ball with his back towards their goal and it didn’t suit him. For Scotland, he is advanced but seems to be running onto the ball much more or running in behind the forward. He has been outstanding tonight. 

• Like 1

McGinn suffers in our current midfield set up the most. He's playing the shuttler so he's helping Luiz out which allows Ramsey to be the box to box. Luiz is a shuttler and not a natural 6 and McGinn is a box to box and not shuttler. 

We desperately need that 6 to give us the right options in midfield. Home to teams we will dominate you want McGinn and Ramsey playing box to box and just have a 6 to cover. Against top teams you want a 6 and Luiz with one of Ramsey/McGinn etc.. 

Right now from the passing maps and avg positions we see Ramsey is getting forward a lot and McGinn and Luiz staying avg level in covering. 

I think the reason McGinn is a coaches dream is he will take and carryout instructions and is a 90 min player and aside from his leg break he doesn't get any niggles or injures (though seems to love getting Covid). 

McGinn can fill in as a 6 a shuttler a box to box, could probably play full back in a pinch too. 

We need that mix of players in midfield to pick from depending what's needed for opposition. We also need that from our CBs. Konsa + Mings when we need to defend teams who play a lot of crosses but don't press us high. Mings + ball playing CB for high pressing teams. 

9 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

McGinn suffers in our current midfield set up the most. He's playing the shuttler so he's helping Luiz out which allows Ramsey to be the box to box. Luiz is a shuttler and not a natural 6 and McGinn is a box to box and not shuttler. 

We desperately need that 6 to give us the right options in midfield. Home to teams we will dominate you want McGinn and Ramsey playing box to box and just have a 6 to cover. Against top teams you want a 6 and Luiz with one of Ramsey/McGinn etc.. 

Right now from the passing maps and avg positions we see Ramsey is getting forward a lot and McGinn and Luiz staying avg level in covering. 

I think the reason McGinn is a coaches dream is he will take and carryout instructions and is a 90 min player and aside from his leg break he doesn't get any niggles or injures (though seems to love getting Covid). 

McGinn can fill in as a 6 a shuttler a box to box, could probably play full back in a pinch too. 

We need that mix of players in midfield to pick from depending what's needed for opposition. We also need that from our CBs. Konsa + Mings when we need to defend teams who play a lot of crosses but don't press us high. Mings + ball playing CB for high pressing teams. 

Completely agree with your analysis and comments about SJM and the ability to rotate the midfield according to the opposition and the requirements of a game.

I am not so sure about switching your CBs according to the opposition - I think there is uch more benefit in seeing a settled CB pairing.

Edited by barry'sboots

24 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

Completely agree with your analysis and comments about SJM and the ability to rotate the midfield according to the opposition and the requirements of a game.

I am not so sure about switching your CBs according to the opposition - I think there is uch more benefit in seeing a settled CB pairing.

In terms of settle CB pairing I see it as a Mings + pairing. The way Liverpool play a VVD + pairing and City a Diaz + pairing. The players rotated always play with the same partner and the experienced reliable player is comfortable with either partner. 

On 15/03/2022 at 10:56, onmeedson said:

McGinn and luiz have struggled far too long in that midfield and will until we get that general in there.

Both have been playing out of their natural positions for so long now......as you quite rightly say, until a natural comes in and releases them, its hard to judge them properly.

They have stayed loyal and done a job for us.....but the club should have remedied this before SG arrived.

15 minutes ago, TRO said:

Both have been playing out of their natural positions for so long now......as you quite rightly say, until a natural comes in and releases them, its hard to judge them properly.

They have stayed loyal and done a job for us.....but the club should have remedied this before SG arrived.

Personally, I think you can judge SJM from his international performances ... play him in the right position and he is consistently the best player on the park.  I am looking forward to us getting this sorted and seeing the best of SJM.  It baffles me that there are Villa fans who would want him sold in the summer, but I suppose everyone is entitled to their opinion!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

Personally, I think you can judge SJM from his international performances ... play him in the right position and he is consistently the best player on the park.  I am looking forward to us getting this sorted and seeing the best of SJM.  It baffles me that there are Villa fans who would want him sold in the summer, but I suppose everyone is entitled to their opinion!

Yeah....I can also understand, when watching a game, his perfomances have taken a dip.

Now, as you quite rightly say, at International level, his performances have been better, well by better, we mean, he is scoring goals.....I didn't see his 90 odd minutes for Scotland, so I can't comment.

I don't think he will be sold, but we as Aston Villa, do need more from him......I don't see a change in him with us, until next season, when we get in the right pegs, in the right holes.

30 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Yes we get a decent CDM in, we will start to see the best of McGinn.  Hard to understand why this has taken so long. 

I am quite honestly baffled by it.....only since the groundswell of opinion has engulfed the topic, does it seem high on the agenda.....why its taken so long to come to terms with, I have no idea.

I honestly think it cost Dean his job, with the knock on effect of it all....Dean seemed to think from my lens, wingers was the answer to all his prayers....and bought them to his hearts content, and have we still got one that worries the opposition?

You only have to look at Mings last night....with Declan Rice as the "Insurance man" in front of them, no wonder Mings and Maguire looked untroubled.....sure the "4 just men" who went off, helped enormously too.

There are a few of our players, I would like to see play, in a team with Authority at No 6.....and we could be surprised in the uplift.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

There are a few of our players, I would like to see play, in a team with Authority at No 6.....and we could be surprised in the uplift.

I think many of us were surprised by the effect Stevie G had when he first came in deploying Marv as the 6.  Who knows how we might have progressed had he stayed fit. 

Better still, as you see, how we might progress with an even better version of Marv in the team!  Works well for Brighton and West Ham, neither of whom have the threat of a goalscorer that we have.

Square pegs in square holes is always the way to go for me.  I would rather play an inexperienced player than play someone in an uncomfortable position that also upsets the whole balance of the team.  It would be interesting to see what we would look like with Tim behind SJM and one of JJ or Luiz.   

Yeah, I see the midfield 5 for next season being. Ramsey, Luiz, McGinn, CDM, Nakamba

I think Sanson will go on loan and if we get injuries he can be recalled. I'd hope Carney would sign a new contract and be in the mix for the midfield too before going on loan in Jan potentially

McGinn is definitely more of a number 10, winning the ball back high up the pitch and shooting from distance.
A defensive midfielder, he is not. He's all over the place at times when receiving the ball with his back to goal under pressure. Unfortunately, we have too many 10's as it is!

• Like 2

On 29/03/2022 at 21:07, AV82 said:

McGinn once again playing well in an advanced position. Completely wasted in his current position for us.

Who would you drop for him in the final third then?

In my opinion John McGinn, for all that's good about him, is the one player in our current starting midfield that we should be looking to make a bench player via our signings this summer above all others

On 29/03/2022 at 21:07, AV82 said:

McGinn and Luiz are playing where they are , simply because we failed over recnt seasons to deploy a proper CDM so we have accomodated them....we invested in wingers instead of adequately balancing the squad.....not moaning, these things happen.

I think their loyalty has to be applauded, in such circumstances, because it has suppressed their natural game, for the benefit of the team.....I would like to see them perform,further forward,  with a quality "Insurance Man" in front of the 2 centre backs.

Only when top quality personnel come in, and identify these things, as they have, can we move on.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, og1874 said:

In my opinion John McGinn, for all that's good about him, is the one player in our current starting midfield that we should be looking to make a bench player via our signings this summer above all others

I get what you are saying, judging him on current form, and a position, that doesn't suit him.

Play him in his rightful role with a quality player in his place and an alternative view, may be had of John McGinn.

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

I get what you are saying, judging him on current form, and a position, that doesn't suit him.

Play him in his rightful role with a quality player in his place and an alternative view, may be had of John McGinn.

Can't argue with that, but that's really our entire midfield problem. I'll contend the only one of our midfielders playing in their natural role is JJ. That suggests to me that perhaps the system we're trying to work towards has no room for a "natural" McGinn, Luiz, Sanson, Bailey, Traore, or even Buendia

Â