UFC/Pride/MMA

Gabby15

In light of these comments, Ive looked at the images again and in a bit more depth, and perhaps it's just my initial reaction - having never watched it properly before, but I still think it looks a bit "harsh".

Surely there's a massively high amount of significant injuries and dare I ask, fatalities?

Then again, I'd probably say the same if you showed me a collection of the worst accidents in Forumala one over the past couple of years.

but I still think it looks a bit "harsh".

It's a violent sport, so well, yes.

Surely there's a massively high amount of significant injuries and dare I ask, fatalities?

That there aint thank Mcgrath! 2 documented deaths in sanctioned MMA. I put it down to the small gloves which causes innstant KOs instead of multiple padded blows. And the second thing that is submissions by jointlocks.

Injuries yes, significant? Depends what you consider significant. Most common longterm injury is probably broken hands.

This said, if not properly controlled by organisations and sanctions it would be dangerous. One could just watch the beginning in the early 90s. It was a frigging circus with unfit twits fighting among skilled athletes. Mayhem!

I put it down to the small gloves which causes innstant KOs instead of multiple padded blows.

It is an odd fact that since Boxers started wearing padded gloves, the number of fatalities has increased massively. This is because, before padded gloves, boxers would break their hands before seriously injuring the opposition.

(Thankyou Stephen Fry)

Ahhh Tegis, I thought your spoiler was relating to another GIF.

Brookings has clearly been the best inthere though.

Crap, forgot you guys where behind on the TV coverage :-(

oh, and TUF gave us a new choke by Nick Pace, now called the "Pace-choke". Clever one too when your other leg is not available for the standard triangle. Arm underneath the chin instead and grabbing your ankle.

2cnflty.gif

UFC coming to Scotland! Might be worth a trip.

The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) will be making its debut in Scotland next year. The promotion announced today that a May 2011 event will likely be a televised "Fight Night" card.

The announcement was made by company President Dana White (via MMAweekly.com), though an exact date and venue has not been confirmed at this time.

The news comes just two days after White and Director of Canadian Operations Tom Wright announced in a press conference at the Air Canada Centre that the UFC would be making its debut in Toronto for UFC 131 from the Rogers Centre on Apr. 30, 2011.

Star-divide

The UFC has been supported by Scottish fans and it hasn't gone unnoticed. With fans urging White to put together an event in Scotland, the announcement was bound to happen.

With the UFC making its way to Australia, Abu Dhabi, Toronto and now Scotland, the promotion is continuing to expand outside of the United States. A return to England in 2011 is likely and a show in Ireland may not be too far off.

While the UFC has not announced where in Scotland the event will take place, Glasgow could be the leading candidate.

*****Spoiler in the gif thread and here******

Last WEC yesterday. Pettis, my oh my what a kick. And Henderson survived :shock: That swayed the judges though in that close fight

kick.gif

• 1 month later...
Â