UFC/Pride/MMA

Gabby15

By the look of that first gif tegis, the fight was over after 15 seconds. . Dana really wasn't kind to him matching him up with should a good all rounder. I'm really not sure what Toney was thinking though, did he ever genuinely ever think that he had a chance? Crazy.

Yep, 5 seconds after that he was in full mount. Toney looked like a flipped turtle.

Couture after the fight regarding a boxing match with Toney:

“I would respectfully decline such an offer. It would be just as silly as I think it is for James to fight in mixed martial arts.”

Smart move!

That fight is one of the reasons I prefer MMA to boxing. Don't get me wrong, I love boxing, but it is just one discipline. In MMA you need to be well rounded in order to even stand a chance, and that takes some talent.

That fight showed why I prefer boxing.

Go watch Toney - Jirov, then watch Toney - Couture. 36 minutes of brilliant boxing vs 3 minutes of gay shit.

That fight is one of the reasons I prefer MMA to boxing. Don't get me wrong, I love boxing, but it is just one discipline. In MMA you need to be well rounded in order to even stand a chance, and that takes some talent.

That fight showed why I prefer boxing.

Go watch Toney - Jirov, then watch Toney - Couture. 36 minutes of brilliant boxing vs 3 minutes of gay shit.

MMA isn't a sport for everyone, entertainment wise, it's different to watch to boxing, sure.

It's also much more dynamic and 'pure' in my humble opinion. Toney was/is a great boxer, but he's only talented in one discipline. No good being great with your hands, if someone can take you down and choke you out.

I would expect any fan of combat sports to have some sort of appreciation for MMA, or at the very least understand it. Calling it 'gay shit', misses the point completely and displays fanboy-ism.

And before the accusation is levelled at me, I do love boxing too, but don't really follow it much these days as I prefer MMA.

Calling it 'gay shit', misses the point completely and displays fanboy-ism.

This is essentially what it boils down to.

It's sort of a shame because it creates a "Us vs Them" mentality from some 'boxing only' fans against MMA, which is ironic because that's what MMA was created as; an arena where techniques from all professionally contested combat disciplines are allowed in order to allow practitioners to compete against each other.

I can appreciate that some people prefer standing fights but it puzzles me that they can in no way appreciate that a world class boxer can be so easily dominated in a fight, whatever techniques are used.

Another thing is that I can't really see how boxing can be someone's outright favourite sport. What is so detestable about kicking (or kneeing and elbowing) that stops them from favouring kickboxing (or muay thai)?

Calling it 'gay shit', misses the point completely and displays fanboy-ism.

This is essentially what it boils down to.

It's sort of a shame because it creates a "Us vs Them" mentality from some 'boxing only' fans against MMA, which is ironic because that's what MMA was created as; an arena where techniques from all professionally contested combat disciplines are allowed in order to allow practitioners to compete against each other.

I can appreciate that some people prefer standing fights but it puzzles me that they can in no way appreciate that a world class boxer can be so easily dominated in a fight, whatever techniques are used.

Another thing is that I can't really see how boxing can be someone's outright favourite sport. What is so detestable about kicking (or kneeing and elbowing) that stops them from favouring kickboxing (or muay thai)?

I can appreciate the way Toney was dominated. I'm a boxing fan that accepts a MMA fighter would beat a boxer in a street fight/MMA fight 99/100.......but it's boring how they do it.

Favouring MMA over boxing is like favouring the decathlon over the 100 metres or gaelic football over football.

Favouring MMA over boxing is like favouring the decathlon over the 100 metres or gaelic football over football.

No not at all. The decathlon clearly separates all of the disciplines and tries to take an average of all of the performances to decide a winner, MMA combines all of the disciplines in order to provide as many possible ways to dominate.

Favouring MMA over boxing is like favouring a football match over a penalty shoot out, or a full English over a dippy egg, or a track race over a drag race, or a real fight over a standing only, punching only figh... You get the idea.

Why do you not prefer kickboxing or muay thai over boxing? I personally **** love BJJ but I understand some people don't understand it or are uncomfortable with their sexuality or whatever but I can't fathom a single reason why boxing would be considered better than KB or MT.

PS - I don't know where to start with the Gaelic football one tbh.

• 2 weeks later...

The next season of TUF will be shown on Tuesdays at 10pm (right after the CL) on Sky Sports 2.

Oh yeah and UFN 22 is this Wednesday night, Ross Pearson is fighting. I've got a Oliveira Sub, Pearson KO/TKO double and an Oliveira, Pearson, Palhares, Tibau accy.

Ross Pearsons train got slightly derailed last night :(

Not quite sure what happened. I thought he had the measure of Miller but then he got caught and it was over very quickly after that. Perhaps he didn't quite have the measure of Miller's range.

He'll bounce back though I'm sure.

Chael Sonnen fails drugs test following UFC 117...........................

It appears Chael Sonnen’s immediate rematch with UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva is soon to be off the table. Sonnen reportedly has failed his post-fight drug screening from his fight with Silva at UFC 117 in Oakland, Calif., according to a report from Greg Savage of Sherdog.com.

The report states that George Dodd, the California State Athletic Commission’s Executive Officer, told Sherdog.com Saturday night after the Shane Mosley vs. Sergio Mora boxing match that, “(Sonnen) received his notice yesterday,” regarding the positive test result.

Dodd had indicated on Friday that all UFC 117 fighters had passed the testing for drugs of abuse (such as marijuana, cocaine, and the like), indicating the Sonnen likely tested positive for a performance enhancing substance.

A suspension for performance enhancing substances in California typically draws a one-year duration. If Sonnen has tested positive, and receives such a suspension, it would obviously derail plans for the rematch, which was penciled in for the UFC’s annual Super Bowl weekend even

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=12645&zoneid=2

Â