UFC/Pride/MMA

Gabby15

On 07/10/2018 at 12:48, Dr_Pangloss said:

McGregor is the ultimate coward. He talks shit and never backs it up, you seem to be forgetting the 'bus incident' and seem to be ok with McGregor and co constantly bringing Khabib's religion into the conversation. It's not OK to behave like this and then simply write it off by being 'gracious' after getting beaten to a pulp. 

Its all an act mate! 

This is just the same act we have seen countless times before from the likes of Sonnen and Bisping; Hes just better at it, and is resented for it!

TBH my own opinions on him went up for taking this fight in the first place.  My only real problem was him holding the show to ransom.

Actually the guiltiest person in all of this has got away with murder and that is Dana White. He has allowed this mayhem to happen and even added the attack on the bus into the promotion of the fight

He has also allowed McGregor a free reign to be a dickhead and then rewards him. Yes he makes money but has to be a line stopped somewhere

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Actually the guiltiest person in all of this has got away with murder and that is Dana White. He has allowed this mayhem to happen and even added the attack on the bus into the promotion of the fight

He has also allowed McGregor a free reign to be a dickhead and then rewards him. Yes he makes money but has to be a line stopped somewhere

This.

Dont forget that Conor is Dana's cash cow, and that cow needs milking. Dana is just cheesed off that Conor lost and the 6 fight deal he signed doesn't look as valuable as it did 3 days ago.

Conor promoting himself, in bed with the UFC, the whisky deal slapped all over the canvas, it all stinks to me. Its turning into boxing and we all know how corrupt that is. The pre-fight press conferences were borderline WWE with that big bald twot stood in between them lapping it up.

On 07/10/2018 at 07:48, Dr_Pangloss said:

McGregor is the ultimate coward. He talks shit and never backs it up, you seem to be forgetting the 'bus incident' and seem to be ok with McGregor and co constantly bringing Khabib's religion into the conversation. It's not OK to behave like this and then simply write it off by being 'gracious' after getting beaten to a pulp. 

So, mocking religion should be banned?

What other beliefs should be held as sacrosanct.

3 hours ago, Nigel said:

Its all an act mate! 

This is just the same act we have seen countless times before from the likes of Sonnen and Bisping; Hes just better at it, and is resented for it!

TBH my own opinions on him went up for taking this fight in the first place.  My only real problem was him holding the show to ransom.

Yup, see how McGregor and Diaz reacted after both fights, nothing but respect. It's fight promotion 101... however, some people insist wrestling is real, too funny.

1 hour ago, villakram said:

So, mocking religion should be banned?

What other beliefs should be held as sacrosanct.

Not saying at that all, just saying that if you want to go there then you have to except that it might bring out the worst in the recipient of that abuse. McGregor's comments were deeply personal and arguably racist, Khabib dealt with him in the octagon and then brought it to the people who were dishing it out after, pretty bad ass in many ways, exposing McGregor as the circus clown that he is.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

2 hours ago, stuart_75 said:

This.

Dont forget that Conor is Dana's cash cow, and that cow needs milking. Dana is just cheesed off that Conor lost and the 6 fight deal he signed doesn't look as valuable as it did 3 days ago.

Conor promoting himself, in bed with the UFC, the whisky deal slapped all over the canvas, it all stinks to me. Its turning into boxing and we all know how corrupt that is. The pre-fight press conferences were borderline WWE with that big bald twot stood in between them lapping it up.

McGregor got massively exposed, totally beaten to a pulp and his WWE antics look a bit pathetic now, I think his aura has been properly shattered and you'd expect his PPV numbers to slide now, even some of his moronic fans are seeing through it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

This I agree with Dana  is hugely responsible.

Am I mis reading or are people saying this whole episode was fixed? Even i don't think this was wwe. There was genuinely bad blood between these camps I believe

UFC is nothing without McGregor. Their ppv's have been on the slide since McGregors previous fight.

Everyone is now talking about it again so it was a well done manufactured farce from start to finish.

3 hours ago, villakram said:

Yup, see how McGregor and Diaz reacted after both fights, nothing but respect. It's fight promotion 101... however, some people insist wrestling is real, too funny.

tenor.gif

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

This I agree with Dana  is hugely responsible.

Am I mis reading or are people saying this whole episode was fixed? Even i don't think this was wwe. There was genuinely bad blood between these camps I believe

I don't think it was fixed, but the sort of behaviour that leads to this sort of incident was absolutely fostered and allowed to continue unabated because all Dana White can see is dollar signs.

Don't think for a second White sees this incident as a bad thing. Nurmegomedov v McGregor 2 is now a much bigger fight than it might have been if the first one just ended with Khabib dominating Connor and tapping him.

11 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

I don't think it was fixed, but the sort of behaviour that leads to this sort of incident was absolutely fostered and allowed to continue unabated because all Dana White can see is dollar signs.

Don't think for a second White sees this incident as a bad thing. Nurmegomedov v McGregor 2 is now a much bigger fight than it might have been if the first one just ended with Khabib dominating Connor and tapping him.

I expect a second one. People said McGregor was finished when he lost to Diaz but he won the rematch.

I wouldn't write off McGregor just yet. I think McGregor wasn't attacking as much in this fight.  He struggled with the take downs

This is an excellent article and pretty much nails the whole thing for me.  Particularly enjoyed the bit in bold.

UFC dig hole for themselves but strike PPV gold with potential Khabib-McGregor fallout

CONOR MCGREGOR, THE final drops of fight being squeezed out of him with two minutes left in round four of his feverishly anticipated scrap with Khabib Nurmagomedov, would have seen the next six months flash before him: his phone suddenly going quiet; the sympathetic looks; the pats on the shoulder; the memes — dear God, the memes.

original?width=630&version=4273592

He’s been there before.

And as Nurmagomedov’s noose tightened, the Dubliner will have been confronted by the harshest realisation in combat sports: he probably could have been better prepared.

He’s been there before, as well.

What followed — an off-the-books ‘knock’ — won’t have been alien to him either, but the question remains as to why a fighter who had been beaten and submitted moments prior was forced to negotiate his way through a World War Z-like invasion of the octagon while he was technically out-of-office.

At the post-fight press conference UFC president Dana White addressed that question, claiming the organisation had taken every security precaution available to them in advance of what was bound to be a rowdy one. He thanked the police and officials who intervened not only in the cage but outside of it, where the victorious Khabib Nurmagomedov was also running amok having hopped the fence.

Of course, had the UFC not unabashedly glorified the incident from which all of this stemmed in order to sell Saturday’s event, White might have been fielding questions about an honourable world title scrap — and a marquee night for the sport he’s helped build — rather than unsolicited acts of thuggery which serve only as fuel for its detractors.

original?width=630&version=4273443

In attempting to justify use of footage of April’s bus debacle in Brooklyn as a promotional vehicle for Saturday night’s showdown, White has repeatedly claimed McGregor’s feck-acting that day was ‘part of the fight’s story.’

This speaks to the organisation’s promotional strategy since McGregor first waltzed into public consciousness half a decade ago: the story is king, long live the story, and this one will live long into 2019 and perhaps beyond. Indeed, we’ve probably seen only season one from three in the tale of McGregor and Khabib.

That tells a story in itself. Think back to April, and a seemingly rattled White admonishing the Barclays Center bus attack as the most disgusting thing ever to happen in the history of the UFC.

The instigator’s penance was a comeback title shot in the promotion’s biggest-ever fight following a two-year absence, a sponsorship deal which saw his whiskey brand logo adorn the very canvas on which he was fighting, and three Hail Marys — two of them suspended.

That oughtta teach the rest of the roster to behave themselves, all right.

original?width=630&version=4273444

And while White was quick to voice his disgust once more after Saturday’s ugly crescendo, the Nevada Desert will freeze over before Khabib Nurmagomedov faces any significant disciplinary action from the UFC for his conduct on Saturday night.

In eight or nine months’ time, give or take a couple, he and McGregor and their respective legions of gloom will descend upon Las Vegas once more, and already by then the promotion for their rematch will have descended to farce.

When White is asked why he saw fit to use footage of his lightweight champion doing wreck among members of the public at T-Mobile Arena — to the extent that the governor of Nevada was forced to flee the venue in fear of his safety — he’ll explain that it’s all part of the story of Khabib-McGregor II.

When he’s quizzed as to the inclusion of footage of his most valuable asset being assaulted by a member of Khabib’s team — an act which rendered the nearby streets tense, volatile and even violent in the event’s immediate aftermath — he’ll say there’s no point in hiding it; it happened, and everyone knows it happened.

What he won’t say is that there are several million reasons to shamelessly flaunt what happened.

original?width=630&version=4273445

Surely not even the most besotted of McGregor disciples could have watched Saturday night’s fight and deemed the former two-weight champ worthy of a rematch in a purely sporting context.

Rusty and out of sync, ‘The Notorious’ was dismantled physically and mentally before Khabib delivered the coup de grace in round 4.

You could perhaps argue that McGregor edged the third round and credit to him for that, because you can make a stronger argument that he lost the second 10-8 as he was beaten to the brink on the floor.

It was chilling to see the conventional roles of a typical McGregor fight reversed: ‘The Eagle’ did everything he had proclaimed in advance of the fight and more, even shading the odd boxing exchange against the 155-pound division’s most celebrated striker before dragging McGregor back to to the basement for the real maulings.

This was an open-and-shut kind of fight: the Russian opened McGregor up and shut his mouth, retaining his title not with ease, but with an almost nonchalant assurance.

And so were it not for the stupid barbarity which followed, and people’s natural inclination towards a bit of scandal, an immediate sequel would have been rather difficult to justify.

original?width=630&version=4273446

It’s duck soup now: a straightener. Two camps, the legitimacy of whose animosity towards each other can’t be questioned at this stage; a pair of protagonists who would fight each other for free (and genuinely might), and a chance for McGregor to attain redemption or for Khabib to write him out of the big show for good.

We still await numbers for the original, but the inevitable rematch will certainly become the biggest UFC pay-per-view of all time, and probably hit the top three for biggest ever combat sports PPVs.

And so the UFC has once again dug a hole for itself only to strike gold. One wonders if any lessons will truly have been learned from Saturday’s cataclysmic conclusion or if it’ll just be the same old story the second time around, but like most sequels, much worse.

McGregor's coach was on the Joe Rogan podcast yesterday. Pretty much stated they'd clearly made a mistake in their approach to the fight with too heavy a focus on defending against Khabib. He also feels McGregor being away from MMA for so long didn't help.

I must admit, I don't think McGregor beats Khabib either way, bar the puncher's chance. Khabib is in the conversation of being the best wrestler in the UFC at any weight, and he's tough and can handle things in his feet. Whereas Conor is a very good striker with questionable stamina and serviceable ground game. Conor's gameplan is basically knock him out inside 2 rounds and just survive on the ground.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

I think Khabib seems type of guy that wont care about a rematch as he won easy, which will annoy McGregor more

Khabib was great but I've seen weaknesses in his game. If he can't get you on the floor he struggles. He can take a hit but he doesnt have the striking ability of McGregor. 

People said McGregor would lose the rematch against Diaz he came back. People said Alvarez would batter him but he battered him.

I think a rematch would be of interest of me but I still think Khalid would probably win as I can't see McGregor being able to avoid being taken down.

Ferguson vs Khalid would be a brilliant fight

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Khabib was great but I've seen weaknesses in his game. If he can't get you on the floor he struggles. He can take a hit but he doesnt have the striking ability of McGregor. 

People said McGregor would lose the rematch against Diaz he came back. People said Alvarez would batter him but he battered him.

I think a rematch would be of interest of me but I still think Khalid would probably win as I can't see McGregor being able to avoid being taken down.

Ferguson vs Khalid would be a brilliant fight

I'm not an expert but Khabib was getting the better of the stand up portions of the fight.

Must admit, I loved seeing all the McGregor fans getting confused about what all this 'wrestling' stuff is, as though they really do not understand the sport at all. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Just now, Dr_Pangloss said:

I'm not an expert but Khabib was getting the better of the stand up portions of the fight.

Watch his previous fight befire McGregor he will struggled.  But he did ok this time round. I think McGregor was mad to take this fight after having a two year break. Should have had one or two fights before hand

Â