World Cup : Semi Finals & Final

BOF

1 minute ago, One For The Road said:

I find the hatred towards English football fans from people who support English football teams slightly absurd. 

I hope we win it even more just for them.

OK

I always want every English club except Villa to lose when they play in Europe. 

Find it really hard to root for another English club.

If this England team was full of Villa players I'd root for them, I did back in Italia 90 since Platt was one of my favorite players.

• Like 2

Surely it's down to the hooliganism that was so evident 15-20 years ago? Thankfully dying down now although still pockets here and there as we saw at last euros and also Amsterdam this year.

If a foreign team came to Brum every other year and caused disorder and chaos in city centre I doubt we'd have much love for them, it's bad enough with SHA.

Generally though whenever I've gone abroad I've found by extension of following English clubs people also have plenty of respect for England national team.

I remember going on holiday to Greece years back and England were playing a qualifier. Greek barman was excited watching the game as he couldn't stand watching his own nation play. This was only about 14 months after they won the 2004 euros!

44 minutes ago, Zatman said:

he even ran the channels and didnt allow Belgium play from back, he a very good striker. Below world class but offers something to the team and chips in with goals

which goals would they be then. He only needs 7 more to take the golden boot from Kane

1 hour ago, AXD said:

the way the hype ‘it’s coming home’ started after beating tunisia (barely) and Panama was not justified and a bit arrogant

We have the biggest dirge of an anthem on the whole planet and outside of having an ironic dig at ourselves with this little ditty the bread and butter is the tried and tested En-ger-land, En-ger-land, En-ger-land.

Are you really suggesting the fans should reign it in a bit and enjoy themselves less? Plenty to knock the English for that's been arrogant and unjust down the years. 'it's coming home' isn't one of them though. Shall we change it to 'we might win' so it would come across ok to people without any sense of humour, and not have a bit of a sing and a dance unless we win a tournament?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I genuinely thought England would lose to Colombia (although revised that down when James was out), wasn't too far off that one, but no chance they would lose to Sweden and I think they can beat Croatia who have a poor defence and no good strikers. Constantly jump on Modric and Rakatic and Croatia will not play any good football, England will do just that. 

Have we forgotten the group stage prediction....:lol:

I would still be pretty surprised if England get through and beat France. Just think France is a bad match up. Even if England put men on Mbappe it will leave more space for Greizmann to make some clever runs. In midfield Kante on his own will probably take out Lingard and Alli from midfield so Pogba will have more space aswell. Varane was amazing tonight so will be up for keeping Kane quiet.

48 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Really?

We're just having a laugh. We don't actually think we're going to win it. We're amazed we got this far.

We are joking around. But have you listened to the media lately? :)

17 minutes ago, colhint said:

which goals would they be then. He only needs 7 more to take the golden boot from Kane

over 100 for Arsenal and 30 for France. Neither when he is undisputed 1st choice

France dealt with Belgium pretty comfortably. Hazard was brilliant, but an off day for De Bruyne and Lukaku. I thought the French players got away with a bit of diving and Belgium a little hard done by by the ref, but France definitely the better side.

Suspect France more than capable of beating England or Croatia, but if they have a weakness it's at the back. Whoever plays them in the final will get chances.

Giroud might not be scoring, but he's doing an excellent job for the team.

8 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I genuinely thought England would lose to Colombia (although revised that down when James was out), wasn't too far off that one, but no chance they would lose to Sweden and I think they can beat Croatia who have a poor defence and no good strikers. Constantly jump on Modric and Rakatic and Croatia will not play any good football, England will do just that. 

After you predicted we’d go out in the group stages...

18 hours ago, BOF said:

The point is they're ALL professional footballers, even their opponents.  It's not a case of "can Croatia play 2 games of football in 4 days?".  Of course they can.  But their opponents have had more rest, and one game fewer over the past few weeks.  So you're into percentages.  And the margins are fine between the players at this level.  So if playing later on the Saturday and then playing more football on the Saturday having played 3 group games instead of 2 even gives England a 5% advantage or maybe 10% then that could be the difference.  At the very least you'd rather England's scenario over Croatia's one.

This this this

it annoys me how often people misunderstand fatigue in football. 

Footballers aren’t rested because they can’t physically complete a game of football without having a heart attack. 

Theyre rested so that they are at a higher level of fitness. If your team is operating at 80% and the opposition is at 90% then you’re giving them a huge head start. 

Those two 120 minute Croatia have played will matter. They might not matter ENOUGH, but with their lack of depth it will effect them. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Those two 120 minute Croatia have played will matter. They might not matter ENOUGH, but with their lack of depth it will effect them. 

Absolutely. Playing 120 mins increases the stress on the body exponentially, and injuries are more likely as a result - although you may not suffer that injury immediately. Also important not to underestimate the affect of the mental fatigue of the two periods of extra time. It's a hugely stressful extra 30 minutes all round.

7 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Have we forgotten the group stage prediction....:lol:

I would still be pretty surprised if England get through and beat France. Just think France is a bad match up. Even if England put men on Mbappe it will leave more space for Greizmann to make some clever runs. In midfield Kante on his own will probably take out Lingard and Alli from midfield so Pogba will have more space aswell. Varane was amazing tonight so will be up for keeping Kane quiet.

haha, was just taking the piss there, to wind a few up. Seems to have worked! 

I really do not think France work that well as a team, Greizmann hasn't exactly had a great world cup either. It will be a hard game but I think England work so well off the ball that they will limit and frustrate France. The game could be primed for Mbappe to deliver big but if he doesn't offer that kind of performance then I see France being limited to set pieces as their most dangerous attacking option.

8 hours ago, Zatman said:

he even ran the channels and didnt allow Belgium play from back, he a very good striker. Below world class but offers something to the team and chips in with goals

Hasn't had a shot on target all tournament, he is doing a good 'Heskey' though, but like Heskey a bit of an anti-striker at this tournament. 

11 hours ago, sne said:

OK

I always want every English club except Villa to lose when they play in Europe. 

Find it really hard to root for another English club.

If this England team was full of Villa players I'd root for them, I did back in Italia 90 since Platt was one of my favorite players.

We aren't talking about another English club though are we? 

I'm just tired of the snooty behaviour of some of the non English people at the moment who are hellbent on trying to ruin the one tiny bit of success we have had in a generation.

Everytime we celebrate winning a WORLD CUP match, we get called arrogant and blamed for over hysteria. When Sweden were playing, I remember people on this forum wishing them luck for the Swedes we have on the forum. It's kind of polite. 

I just don't see the need for the anti English team sentiment on what is an English football forum. Especially as some of it was even directed at the fans. That's all. 

Edited by One For The Road
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Kane scored what, 5 pens? Pretty ridiculous but then it has hardly been a tournament of good goalscorers. Forwards have just not delivered overall. 

Tap in from a re-bound and a header from a flick-on against Tunisia - both from corners.

2 pens and the one off his ankle against Panama

Penalty against Colombia

3/6

Agree with your point though.

16 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

We aren't talking about another English club though are we? 

Well we are talking about players and fans from other English clubs, and I wish them no joy.

As much as I want any Villa fan a bit of enjoyment out of football considering the shit we're living with the fallout from an English victory would be too much to take.

I get you don't see it being English.

But it's hardly been a hate storm on here has it?

• Like 2

Â