World Cup : Semi Finals & Final

BOF

1 minute ago, PieFacE said:

That's a penalty for me.

I'm on the fence in open play. Not a clear one. His hand is coming back down to his side, I think it's harsh.

However, it's certainly not 'clear and obvious', which is supposed to be VAR's remit. That's just a wrong call, in my view.

1 minute ago, flamingsombrero said:

Ref gives this I'm done, turning it off

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

if the result of that VAR check is a goal kick thats madness

Good thing we agree on the rules :lol:

1 minute ago, Tegis said:

Good thing we agree on the rules :lol:

i meant that even if its not hand ball (to which i still dont know...) surely he can still give a corner? he cant watch it 10 times on TV decide its hit him but not intentionally and then still give a goal kick

• Like 1

Just now, Davkaus said:

If it takes that many watches, it's not clear and obvious. 

It clearly and obviously hit him in an outstretched hand. It took that many rewatches to decide whether it was reasonable for him to have his arm flailing about like that.

Harsh but ultimately fair. I'd be filthy if I was French and that wasn't given.

On top of everything, Griezmann acts like a word removed after scoring. You've done nothing all tournament but score penalties, you nob, what the **** was that celebration?

Just now, ThunderPower_14 said:

It clearly and obviously hit him in an outstretched hand. It took that many rewatches to decide whether it was reasonable for him to have his arm flailing about like that.

Harsh but ultimately fair. I'd be filthy if I was French and that wasn't given.

It's about being a clear and obvious error on the referee's part though, isn't it?

There's absolutely no dispute it hit his hand. Was it a clear and obvious error though? If it wasn't, he shouldn't have even been looking at it. 

Just now, Davkaus said:

If it takes that many watches, it's not clear and obvious. 

Yes it is. 

The decision the ref makes doesn’t need to be clear and obvious. 

It has to be clear and obvious that the ref has made a mistake or missed something. In this case it was clear and obvious that the ref hadn’t seen that that had hit a hand. THAT is the clear and obvious bit. 

Correct decision again made by a VAR review. 

• Like 4

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Yes it is. 

The decision the ref makes doesn’t need to be clear and obvious. 

It has to be clear and obvious that the ref has made a mistake or missed something. In this case it was clear and obvious that the ref hadn’t seen that that had hit a hand. THAT is the clear and obvious bit. 

Correct decision again made by a VAR review. 

I thought it was specifically meant to be clear and obvious he made an error rather than hadn't seen anything? I've not seen the exact guidelines though.

I don't think it was a penalty either way, that's a really harsh handball, but if I'm just wrong about how VAR is utilised I'm happy to be corrected.

FIFA's site says:

PENALTY DECISIONS

The role of the VAR is to ensure that no clearly wrong decisions are made in conjunction with the award or non-award of a penalty kick.

I'd maintain that wasn't a clearly wrong decision. 

Â