World Cup : Semi Finals & Final

BOF

13 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I just can't get behind teams that cause me this much hurt.  I genuinely wish misery on both Croatia and Fulham.

Villa probably cause more hurt ?

• Like 1

Well done England. Disappointing to lose, but exceeded all expectations just to get that far and gave us fans something to be proud of. Very likeable team for the first time in over 20 years, a welcome change.

Croatia's extra experience got them through I think.

Stones, Maguire and PIckford were immense this tournament. Walker did well for the most part, but always looks like he has a big mistake in him.

England seriously lack a creative midfielder. Alli and Lingard do.... ok... but I think Grealish will become that player by the time of the Euros. I think he could have been a major asset in Russia fwiw. Sterling is infuriating, finishing and decision making woeful at times, yet at other times he causes havoc.

It's really been a welcome distraction from B6 and I really enjoyed watching this England team. Something that I never thought I'd say again. But now back to the real world and club football again.

Come on then, who's venturing into on topic with me?.......?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

England exceeded my expectations ...but:-

They will never have a better chance of reaching the world cup final. When you get to the semi final you aren't going to come against mugs - but Croatia will be one of the easier draws  - to then be 1-0 up at Half time - and should have been more, you really have one foot in the final. To be honest we squandered a golden opportunity, that probably won't be repeated in my lifetime.

Pickford, Mcguire, Trippier all did well - but one again failing in the final third. Ali and Linguard , just seemed to go AWOL for large sections of last nights game - and in other as well. Sterling was very poor throughout - and not quite sure why Kane was deployed so deep in the latter matches. 

giphy.gif

Great tournament from an honest and unspectacular team. Kane seems to have lucked the golden boot off the back of his heel (OK 3 pens but also 2 goals against Tunisia snaffling up chances in the box). As others have said Trippier was great. Pickford shone. Maguire should be proud. The annoying thing with last night and the only real sour taste I'm left with is watching them crumble after the equaliser. All a bit Villa. But small beans compared to everything else.

35 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Cant believe praise Stones is getting. His usual ball watching cost England badly and has only looked more solid with more defenders around him

It was pretty funny how Neville politely slated him at the final whistle "he's made a mistake there that has cost England, he's going to have to carry that round with him"

He needs to have a leader next to him, to scream at him to get out or stop him going to sleep and pick up the run. He did neither for that goal which you should not expect for a £50m player.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

You should be proud of your team. Southgate has done a really good job with this team. Your defense was suspect, so that's why Southgate went with a back 3 that also works as a back 5. 

Your team is also incredibly young. Stones, Maguire, Trippier, Arnold, Pickford, the whole midfield, Kane, Sterling, and Rashford will only get better. A lot of these players will be in their prime in 2022 so that is something to look forward to. Plus they have experience from this tournament. I'd say England is in good hands and the future looks bright.

Hopefully you can beat Belgium for 3rd. Finishing 3rd is still one hell of an accomplishment. I wish Czech could get back to that level. 

Didn't have it in me to get up for another 4am KO on a weekday, so missed the England vs Croatia game.

Belgium vs France was excellent viewing. France were brilliant at times, truly. Every 2nd pass was a back-foot flick-on, not so truly, but still. I think Pogba deserves a special mention this tournament. He's been slated left, right and center for his club performances and has shown the world that he is in fact a player capable of the top level. I had never seen Mbappe play before the tournament, my word, does he have some career ahead of him.

We had a great start, but just couldn't get the second.....and the initiative just ebbed away, their pitch craft, just wore us down.

I have to say, while I am disappointed, because I think we was capable of getting to the Final.....I have to find praise for Croatia in getting back in.....They impressed me with their ability to chase balls down and challenge robustly for every ball....they squeezed us where we was struggling to squeeze them( where have i seen that before?)

I thought Sterling was ineffective on the ball despite some encouraging runs, not sure what position Harry Kane was taking up, he was in so many different places, felt he should have concentrated on the centre.

Their 2 goals was as a result of pressing and combative spirit as opposed to world class technique....although on the ball, they were superior in control.

as a consolation.....I think we would have lost to France anyway.

• Like 1

no real surprise, they will have chanted no surrender and 10 german bombers

croatia have displayed fascist banners, chanted fascist songs and have twice now had players caught in the dressing room celebrating by singing fascist songs

guess who has had a quiet slap on the wrist and guess who will have the full might of FIFA come down on them? 

• Like 2

This was imo England's best chance of winning the World Cup since 1966.

No outstanding teams in the tournament, a very favourable draw and no adverse weather conditions.

They bottled it.

Should have been three up at half time and then in the second half tried to hold onto the lead rather than going for the killer punch.

Taking Sterling off didn't help either as he was continually occupying Croatia's defence and giving them the shits every time while in position. Southgate imo lost England the tie by taking Sterling off as it allowed the Croatians to push forward more.

Kane for me was a major disappointment. His lack of any real pace is and always will be his achilles heel in international football. He is not a world class forward and was played too deep.

England do have something to build on though but need a midfielder who can play defence splitting passed in the mould of say a Hoddle, Gazza, or indeed a Trevor Brooking. And they also need a forward with more pace.

Edited by striker
  • Like 2

Â