World Cup : Round of 16

BOF

4 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Nice dummy from Lukaku.  Proof that he is more use not touching the ball than touching it.  Shame for Japan, I really wanted them to win but Belgium have so much depth.

Not many players would do what he did at that moment.  should get the assist.

• Like 2

Missed the Belgium japan game (started at 2am here) but saw the highlights. Gutted Japan couldn’t hold on. But the Belgian winner was a fantastic goal. 

Will be setting an alarm for England later

Although Japan were unlucky and everyone loves an underdog. I still think it’s better for the WC for Belgium to go through. Let’s face it. Japan wouldn’t really have had much hope against Brazil. 

Belgium Brazil should be a tougher game and surely we want to see the best players in the world against each other. 

I get a feeling many people on here were rooting for Japan. ?

They had some good spells, but overall Belgium dominated that game. Japan had some good chances, but so did Belgium and probably even more. The subs where the right ones by martinez. I think anyone would have made them though, if length is your advantage it doesn’t take a genius to put on Fellaini.

brazil-Belgium will be an interesting game!

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

This really is England’s best chance of advancing deep into a tournament since 2004. 

I fully expect us to lose tonight as a result. 

I have to agree there was no expectation and as such we played with freedom now all of a sudden everyone expects us to get to the Semis at least so we are bound to lose!!  Massive test of character tonight should be a good game.

4 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

I have to agree there was no expectation and as such we played with freedom now all of a sudden everyone expects us to get to the Semis at least so we are bound to lose!!  Massive test of character tonight should be a good game.

It’s inevitable to look down the line, but I hope Southgate is drilling into his players as much as possible how much they should be focusing on tonight only. 

The route to the semis or final matters not if we’re complacent tonight. Hopefully Iceland has taught us a lesson

• Like 1

Too much arrogance and expectation from the media. England have beaten two of the worst sides in the competition and they only scraped past Tunisia. I don't think England are that good, whilst it is their best chance to go far, I don't think England have the quality to expect them to go to, for instance, to the semis. If they get that far then it is because they have done extremely well. Colombia is likely to be a really hard game, especially if James is fit. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It’s inevitable to look down the line, but I hope Southgate is drilling into his players as much as possible how much they should be focusing on tonight only. 

The route to the semis or final matters not if we’re complacent tonight. Hopefully Iceland has taught us a lesson

I don't think this is a game to compare to the Iceland game and that's doing Colombia a huge disservice in my opinion. They've lost one game at the World Cup which was with a man sent off after 3 minutes and they still equalised in that game.

I don't see tonight's game as much more than a 50/50 shot for England no matter how much the media will try to portray this as some great shame if we get knocked out to a decent Colombia side. We've beaten Tunisia with a last minute winner and Panama (the worst team in the tournament) so I'm sure we're not going to be complacent against a stronger side than both of these. 

If we lose, I'm not sure I'd put it down to complacency which I'd have said will be more of a worry if we did get through against our potential quarter final opponents who both appear weaker than Colombia in my opinion.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

I don't think this is a game to compare to the Iceland game and that's doing Colombia a huge disservice in my opinion. They've lost one game at the World Cup which was with a man sent off after 3 minutes and they still equalised in that game.

I don't see tonight's game as much more than a 50/50 shot for England no matter how much the media will try to portray this as some great shame if we get knocked out to a decent Colombia side. We've beaten Tunisia with a last minute winner and Panama (the worst team in the tournament) so I'm sure we're not going to be complacent against a stronger side than both of these. 

If we lose, I'm not sure I'd put it down to complacency which I'd have said will be more of a worry if we did get through against our potential quarter final opponents who both appear weaker than Colombia in my opinion.

Absolutely. Colombia have some very good players, James is world class when fit and on form, Quintero is very good, Cuadrado is very dangerous and Falcao is still a very good finisher. Behind them they have some really heard working players like Sanchez and Barrios. 

Senegal should a blue print of sorts to stop them playing and that was pushing up with a high press and constantly giving them little time on the ball, that's what England should do but if they fail to take chances they will be trouble as I don't think England can carry out that tactic for the full 90 and players like James, Cuardado and Quintero will get increasingly comfortable on the ball. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

The Iceland comparison was nothing to do with the quality of the teams. 

It was to do with complacency. The Iceland game is the ultimate example of what can happen when you just expect to beat a team. 

I agree that Colombia are much much better than Iceland. Which is why it’s important that lessons have been learned from the Iceland game and England aren’t looking at who they will play in the semis, they’re purely looking at the next game and how they win it.

Thats all I meant by the comparison. 

Edited by Stevo985

26 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The Iceland comparison was nothing to do with the quality of the teams. 

It was to do with complacency. The Iceland game is the ultimate example of what can happen when you just expect to beat a team. 

I agree that Colombia are much much better than Iceland. Which is why it’s important that lessons have been learned from the Iceland game and England aren’t looking at who they will play in the semis, they’re purely looking at the next game and how they win it.

Thats all I meant by the comparison. 

Yeah I agree and am sure they're not doing any more than concentrating on Colombia. However, I worry that if we get beaten by Colombia then the fans and the media will jump straight to the complacency and looking ahead accusations without acknowledging the fact that Colombia are more or less on a par with England anyway and however focused we are, we could still lose the game.

I'm sure they'll go out there and give it their best but I'm not convinced that they won't fall short to be honest in one of the more evenly matched games of the round of 16.

For any Americans watching who might be confused

Embassy of Sweden in the U.S.s foto.

Actually from the Swedish U.S embassy Facebook page :D 

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

I always worry when England go up against technically sound teams, particularly if we aren't at home.  Their fans will far outweigh ours, and Russians and neutrals will be with them - this is as close to being an away game in Colombia as is possible without entering the country. 

We must pressure their key players (James if fit and Quintero) and don't let Falcao get early shots off. 

I think our wingbacks will do well against the hustle and bustle of Quadrado as he's quick, but lacks really good feet.

It'll be close, let's hope they give us a few VAR penalties and Kane scores another shitty hattrick.

So on that.. Colombia 1000 - England -3.

@hogso - please don't wear those "lucky" red trousers.. ?

On another note, Belgium, Croatia, Uruguay and one of Sweden/Switzerland in the quarter finals. Shameful that countries with similar or even smaller populations continue to thrive while Ireland still stuck in the stone age of long ball football

34 minutes ago, Zatman said:

On another note, Belgium, Croatia, Uruguay and one of Sweden/Switzerland in the quarter finals. Shameful that countries with similar or even smaller populations continue to thrive while Ireland still stuck in the stone age of long ball football

While I completely agree re- the style, there is a definite dearth of quality in the Ireland squad at the moment.   Comparitively few players playing in the Premier League.  It seems this generation simply ain't up to much, and we just have to wait for the next batch.

Â