Relegation thread

Vive_La_Villa

I think it’s time to restart this thread after a couple of years. Before I continue this is not just negative doom and gloom. It’s discussion that I think is as warranted as a promotion thread. 

We have lost the following: 

Terry, Snodgrass, Johnstone, Grabban.

Now how many points did they players contribute to individually let alone collective? In the case of Snodgrass it’s the majority of our goals. In the case of Johnstone I lost count of how many points he earned or saved us. 

Now on top of this we may even lose more players and if stories are too believe are not in a place to reinvest. 

Now I admit there’s a few months to go before we see the squad that starts the season. But as it stands now we are in for the scrap. 

Edit: Before this thread is closed or anymore digs. 

If Reading can go from losing in a playoff final shootout and strengthening their squad to having to potentially get a result in the last game of the season to stay up. 

Why is it an over reaction to suggest it can happen to us? 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think it’s time to restart this thread after a couple of years. Before I continue this is not just negative doom and gloom. It’s discussion that I think is as warranted as a promotion thread. 

We have lost the following: 

Terry, Snodgrass, Johnstone, Grabban.

Now how many points did they players contribute to individually let alone collective? In the case of Snodgrass it’s the majority of our goals. In the case of Johnstone I lost count of how many points he earned or saved us. 

Now on top of this we may even lose more players and if stories are too believe are not in a place to reinvest. 

Now I admit there’s a few months to go before we see the squad that starts the season. But as it stands now we are in for the scrap. 

How dare you :(

Won't get that bad, The Championship is piss poor and we still have a good squad, one that under performed this season.

Will be some heavy losses in quality, especially if we lose Grealish.

But a decent manager should still have us fighting for the play off spots.

With the added caveat that I have no real idea of how the squad will look next season :D

• Like 3

As it stands now what makes our starting 11 so much better than the likes of Birmingham, Reading, Hull?  Non of them teams should have been in a relegation scrap. 

I’m amazed the optimistic about our chances many still have. 

24 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

As it stands now what makes our starting 11 so much better than the likes of Birmingham, Reading, Hull?  Non of them teams should have been in a relegation scrap. 

I’m amazed the optimistic about our chances many still have. 

As we look at things now I’d say likely to be Top 12 at worst and challenge for   top 6 at an unlikely best but hard to tell until we see what our squad is in August .

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 2

I think there will still be more than three teams that we will comfortably finish well above next season. It might be a bumpy ride and we might be looking over our shoulders a couple of times but I expect the likes of Small Heath, Reading and Rotherham to occupy the relegation places. Selling Jack and/or Chester would not help our cause but I'm looking at mid table currently rather than at the bottom or top.

Edited by John
  • Like 1

I wouldn’t totally rule it out, but I think it is very unlikely we will be in a relegation scrap next season. I think mid table is a worst case scenario at the moment. I think with some clever wheeler dealing in the loan/free market, keep hold of a Grealish and promotion push is on the cards again, be it auto or playoffs.

I think Grabban could be tempted back on loan as I don’t see a PL team taking him, obviously as we earn less then Bournemouth would have to subsidise it a little like we have over the years. Depends on the player and the pull of our club, which is still one of, if not the biggest outside the PL.

Of course, a lot of things can happen in the next couple of weeks which could change my opinion. At the moment I am not panicking just yet.

wtf....is this posting a thread for the sake of it or what????

cant believe i've seen this.....

i know we are living in a free world with freedom of speech, but with everything going on we simply do not need a thread like this....

mods can i request you please lock this thread??? 

We got 83 points. Barnsley were relegated with 41 points. Do I think those four players we're responsible for that boost in points?! No way.

Terry and Johnstone will be relatively easily replaced. Both were solid but Terry was nowhere near as good as some make out (on the pitch). Johnstone was fantastic in some games, very poor in others (especially at start). This area MIGHT be marginally weaker but I have hope it could actually be a little stronger with a faster CB.

Snodgrass was fantastic most of the time. But is a fit, developing Green much worse? Green's promise gives me hope. This area might well be weaker for a little bit.

Grabban again was solid, but can Kodjia match his return with full-fitness/game time. I suspect so. So maybe a few games to get up to speed. Grabban was very quiet towards end of season anyway.

So, maybe 5-10pts worse off over a season. 40+?! No way. We'd need to lose probably another 4 or 5 experienced players to be seriously considering relegation. With a change of style (not personnel) I actually think we could be marginally stronger next year despite the loss of the loanees. We need more luck with injuries to key players though.

Personally, I think we'll be mid-table to lower playoff area but due to our defensive nature rather than our players. Relegation may come before promotion but it won't be next year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, imavillan said:

wtf....is this posting a thread for the sake of it or what????

cant believe i've seen this.....

i know we are living in a free world with freedom of speech, but with everything going on we simply do not need a thread like this....

mods can i request you please lock this thread??? 

5 hours ago, sexbelowsound said:

There's having a wobble and then there is this. Get a grip.

Bloody hell are we not allowed to have a discussion about something without this kind of response? I hope I’m wrong and this thread gets lost in the archives in no time. I really do. 

But I think you need to seriously take in to consideration how much our team is already depleted and could be even more so before the season starts. I’m not saying we WILL get relegated. For what it’s worth I don’t think think we will. 

But to think there’s is no chance we could get dragged in to a relegation scrap is just being plain naive in my opinion. 

3 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

Proper embarrassing this is. 

I bet you £50 we are closer in points to the play offs than the relegation zone come end of next season. 

Embarrassing for who? It’s a discussion forum. I’m accepting it’s going to be a very hard season. Why would I want to have a bet with you about it? 

A relegation thread will be warranted if we have a poor summer in the window and then have a bad start to the season. 

Until then it's worrying for the sake of it. Too early to know anything at all about next season's chances. Same goes for the promotion thread. 

5 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

We got 83 points. Barnsley were relegated with 41 points. Do I think those four players we're responsible for that boost in points?! No way.

Terry and Johnstone will be relatively easily replaced. Both were solid but Terry was nowhere near as good as some make out (on the pitch). Johnstone was fantastic in some games, very poor in others (especially at start). This area MIGHT be marginally weaker but I have hope it could actually be a little stronger with a faster CB.

Snodgrass was fantastic most of the time. But is a fit, developing Green much worse? Green's promise gives me hope. This area might well be weaker for a little bit.

Grabban again was solid, but can Kodjia match his return with full-fitness/game time. I suspect so. So maybe a few games to get up to speed. Grabban was very quiet towards end of season anyway.

So, maybe 5-10pts worse off over a season. 40+?! No way. We'd need to lose probably another 4 or 5 experienced players to be seriously considering relegation. With a change of style (not personnel) I actually think we could be marginally stronger next year despite the loss of the loanees. We need more luck with injuries to key players though.

Personally, I think we'll be mid-table to lower playoff area but due to our defensive nature rather than our players. Relegation may come before promotion but it won't be next year.

Houllier had much the same squad that finished 6th fighting relegation - Some quality players won't be there next season - we have no funds to replace them - and could quite possibly have a manager chosen by Dr Xia himself. Theres enough in the mix there to have us sliding down the table.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â