Champions League final: Real Madrid vs Liverpool

The_Rev

Champions League final 2018  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the 2018 Champions League?

• Real Madrid
    • Liverpool

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 26/05/18 at 18:45

As much as I don't like Madrid, absolutely **** Liverpool and their fans and the idea of them winning it a 6th time. We'll never stop hearing about that special night in Kiev.

I hope they lose to a perfect hattrick of Ronaldo penalties (a normal pen, one mis-kicked onto his right heel and one off his left) only to be subjected to a penalty shootout despite losing, with only Ronaldo taking the pens.

On 22/05/2018 at 22:36, The_Rev said:

The second most important game of the day, but it's also a biggie.   AFAIK there are only four planes from Liverpool airport to Kiev, 600 seats in total for 19000 tickets which have been allocated to Liverpool,  a guy I work with has got tickets and his route to the stadium is insane. Flying to Moldova, picking a hire car up at the airport then driving 400 miles to Kiev before finding somewhere to kip in the car on the way back to Moldova.  Real Madrid have returned 2000 tickets because the city is so inaccessible and hotel rooms are pretty much non existent for the weekend of the final (seems that AirBnB have killed the hotel business there, then people with rooms to let have priced themselves out of the market).  Ridiculous logistics aside it could be a great game, I think you could make a case for Liverpool to blow Real Madrid away within 20 minutes or for Madrid to tear Liverpool a new one, either way I don't think it will be as dull as the FA Cup final was. 

The 3 special flights for Liverpool fans to Kiev have been cancelled. 

Link

Shame.

That would genuinely be heartbreaking. 

Edit: 

Seems that Vitali Klitschko (yes, that one) has got two of the flights reinstated.  What a mess though. How is a city the size of Kiev struggling to host a football match? Airport and hotel room capacity has to be a factor, surely? 

Edited by The_Rev

Yeah, I'd like to see neither team win... but I'll be happiest if James Milner wins and Ronaldo loses, so I guess I'm going for Liverpool.

Oh God what have I said.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MrDuck said:

Yeah, I'd like to see neither team win... but I'll be happiest if James Milner wins and Ronaldo loses, so I guess I'm going for Liverpool.

Oh God what have I said.

Whilst I understand people wanting Liverpool to lose, I cannot get my head around them wanting Ronaldo to be the star of the show.

He's probably the biggest word removed going.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Whilst I understand people wanting Liverpool to lose, I cannot get my head around them wanting Ronaldo to be the star of the show.

One man's word removed is another man's pleasure box.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

One man's word removed is another man's pleasure box.

I can't remember which podcast I was listening to, but they came up with a theory that people fell on either side of 'great' footballing rivalries, and whichever side you fell on determined whether you were, essentially, a "good" person or a "bad" person.  It was something like:

Messi or Ronaldo
Barcelona or Real Madrid
AC Milan or Inter Milan
Dortmund or Bayern Munich
Celtic or Rangers

People, they claim, either favour all of the first choices or all of the second.

9 hours ago, The_Rev said:

That would genuinely be heartbreaking. 

TBH, yeah, I feel a bit bad for the genuine decent fans who are staring at missing out on a trip of a lifetime.

The club seem to be trying very hard to get the fans over which is good. As has been said, its a major city and just 3 flights for a special 1 of event. You'd think they'd be able to manage.

I assume the FIFA and UEFA delegates plus their sponsors have got over ok, and managed to get suites in 5 star hotels etc.

22 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I think that's part of the fun, he is a person who is easily disliked. It would just make it quite funny if he ripped them apart. Not sure he will mind but you never know.

A number of Liverpool fans have been attacked by masked hooligans in Kiev, raising fears about fan safety in the Ukrainian capital ahead of Saturday’s Champions League final againsReal Madrid.

Ukrainian police announced that two foreigners were injured “in a fight” in the city centre, where a group of Liverpool supporters were allegedly attacked in a restaurant named the Rooster Grill.

In a video published by The Mirror, police were seen attending the incident where individuals are seen to be throwing tables and chairs before fleeing the scene.

Police also said that two men were arrested following the incident, although a number were able to flee the scene without being detained.

With more than 24 hours to go until the Champions League final takes place, fears over the safety of Liverpool fans in the Ukrainian city have increased, with the attackers appearing to be looking for trouble as they arrived in bandanas, hoodies and balaclavas to help conceal their identity...

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/liverpool-fans-attacked-video-hooligans-kiev-champions-league-final-2018-watch-a8368446.html

Hardly a surprise is it.

Very much like Federer-Nadal in Tennis. You should see the bile used by both sets of fans on a Tennis forum I look at on occasions.

I'm a Federer fan but dosen't mean I don't respect Nadal's extraordinary will to win qualities. Similar principle to Messi and Ronaldo.

TBH I don't mind if Liverpool win it.  Of all the English sides, they're the one with the closest association to this competition so throwing another one on the pile is far more desireable to me than letting some arse cancer like Man City win their first one.  Plus this Liverpool side are relatively likeable.  Klopp et al.  Similarly, if Real do it again then the world keeps spinning.  All I want is a good spectacle, and to be honest with these 2 sides involved, it can't fail to be.  They don't know how to play defensive spoiler football.  This will be like watching a basketball game.  I'm hoping for around the four all mark and I'll be happy.  I'm just hoping by the time this one comes around, I'll have a big cheesy **** off smile on my face ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

Because it would piss off Liverpool fans. And they're bigger words removed.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Very much like Federer-Nadal in Tennis. You should see the bile used by both sets of fans on a Tennis forum I look at on occasions.

I'm a Federer fan but dosen't mean I don't respect Nadal's extraordinary will to win qualities. Similar principle to Messi and Ronaldo.

Think that was also mentioned on the "vs" list.

Federer on the same side as Messi, Barcelona, AC Milan etc.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Genie said:

TBH, yeah, I feel a bit bad for the genuine decent fans who are staring at missing out on a trip of a lifetime.

The club seem to be trying very hard to get the fans over which is good. As has been said, its a major city and just 3 flights for a special 1 of event. You'd think they'd be able to manage.

I assume the FIFA and UEFA delegates plus their sponsors have got over ok, and managed to get suites in 5 star hotels etc.

Don't worry, the Champions League Final will soon be played in Qatar or UAE or China (whoever bribes FIFA the most) Plenty of flights there!

10 hours ago, bobzy said:

I can't remember which podcast I was listening to, but they came up with a theory that people fell on either side of 'great' footballing rivalries, and whichever side you fell on determined whether you were, essentially, a "good" person or a "bad" person.  It was something like:

Messi or Ronaldo
Barcelona or Real Madrid
AC Milan or Inter Milan
Dortmund or Bayern Munich
Celtic or Rangers

People, they claim, either favour all of the first choices or all of the second.

Very interesting. 

I would pick the latter choices every time (although to be fair, I'm not fussed about the Italian teams but if I was forced to choose it would be Inter)

I don't think it makes me 'bad' though :D

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Genie said:

I think that's part of the fun, he is a person who is easily disliked. It would just make it quite funny if he ripped them apart. Not sure he will mind but you never know.

I don't get why he is easily disliked? He's the epitome of a ultimate professional and a born winner. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Xela said:

I don't get why he is easily disliked? He's the epitome of a ultimate professional and a born winner. 

Because if he could he’d eat himself.

Â