What's your tipple this evening then?

coda

3 hours ago, KHV said:

Depends where you are North brum and what your drinking. Will be interested to see what the new micro brewery place in Sutton will be like

Looks like its nearly ready when I drove past the other day. 

What decent pubs do you think are in Erdington and Sutton?. I'll be honest I tend to drink more in the city and occasionally Moseley so haven't been out for a while where I live. I just don't remember the places being that good 

3 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

You can get this in Bacchus if you didn't know already.

Yep, had a few pints of it in Bacchus after work the other day. Also on draft at The Shakespeare :)

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Jeez, the Station in KH. What's that like these days? Last time I was in there must have been about 1972, when it was old West Indian guys playing darts or dominoes in the bar, and a very stuffy carpet-and-flock-wallpaper lounge full of old dears drinking sherry. But it was cheap, and just round the corner from my mate's house. 

Quite a 'trendy' place now. Fairly young crowd and live music on quite regularly in the back room. Nice little beer garden as well

http://independent-birmingham.co.uk/the-sun-at-the-station/

42 minutes ago, Xela said:

Looks like its nearly ready when I drove past the other day. 

What decent pubs do you think are in Erdington and Sutton?. I'll be honest I tend to drink more in the city and occasionally Moseley so haven't been out for a while where I live. I just don't remember the places being that good 

My local is the Yenton where I have been drinking for 12 years, it's not got a great reputation but I'm used to it. Other than that I use Wetherspoons in boldmere, the horse and jockey, the three tuns. a bit further away i use the hardwick arms, the cock inn, the butlers arms, the green house. I also like the dog and doublet in the summer over by bodymoor heath.

I spend 6 years living in moseley and kings heath and occasionally pop back over now and again too

Edited by KHV
  • Like 1

The Yenton has just had a make over hasn't it? 

Horse and Jockey is decent as it the Tuns. Haven't been to the Hardwick in a while. The Green House is my local but can be a bit pretentious, as can the Cock Inn.

I forgot about the Crown in Four Oaks, which is nice.

They do have different vibes to the ones in Moseley/Harborne/Kings Heath though. More of an older crowd and less 'studenty', which depsite my age, is what I tend to prefer!

Edited by Xela

10 minutes ago, Xela said:

The Yenton has just had a make over hasn't it? 

Horse and Jockey is decent as it the Tuns. Haven't been to the Hardwick in a while. The Green House is my local but can be a bit pretentious, as can the Cock Inn.

I forgot about the Crown in Four Oaks, which is nice.

They do have different vibes to the ones in Moseley/Harborne/Kings Heath though. More of an older crowd and less 'studenty', which depsite my age, is what I tend to prefer!

Yeah a big makeover, it's actually very nice and they have added some different beers too which is always nice. I used to go to the crown but haven't been for about 5 years! I know what you mean about the crowd especially at the green house and cock inn. I prefer Moseley/Kings Heath but it's a mission if you don't drive there

2 hours ago, mjmooney said: Jeez, the Station in KH. What's that like these days? Last time I was in there must have been about 1972, when it was old West Indian guys playing darts or dominoes in the bar, and a very stuffy carpet-and-flock-wallpaper lounge full of old dears drinking sherry. But it was cheap, and just round the corner from my mate's house. 

Quite a 'trendy' place now. Fairly young crowd and live music on quite regularly in the back room. Nice little beer garden as well

http://independent-birmingham.co.uk/the-sun-at-the-station/

**** ing hell, that's changed a bit!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been trying the ales a lot recently, don't think lager is too good for me any more. Just had a bottle of TT Landlord, opened a Bathams Best (nod to D1), got a bottle of Golden Glow, Enville and something called Chocolate Marble left. Tried Ubu and Mad Goose the other night, Ubu was a very nice drop. Of the ones mentioned above, which would everyone pick as their favourite?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PongRiddims said:

I've been trying the ales a lot recently, don't think lager is too good for me any more. Just had a bottle of TT Landlord, opened a Bathams Best (nod to D1), got a bottle of Golden Glow, Enville and something called Chocolate Marble left. Tried Ubu and Mad Goose the other night, Ubu was a very nice drop. Of the ones mentioned above, which would everyone pick as their favourite?

Bathams, Glow and Enville?

Are you finally growing some taste buds there mate? :D

Bathams, Glow and Enville?

Are you finally growing some taste buds there mate? [emoji3]

Haha actually it was a close call, the offie had crates of Red Stripe on offer, they nearly won!

Margarita. Real one. Fresh squeezed lime juice, Cointreau, Cazadores reposado. Nothing else. Shaken over ice. No sugary slushy confection. F*** that sh**. Refreshing, and you see God if you have enough...

• Like 2

Tequila

AGNI44.pngby Alvaro Mutis

translated from the Spanish by Forrest Gander

—for María and Juan Palomar

Tequila is a clean flame that clambers up the walls
and shoots over tiled roofs, relief to despair.
Tequila isn’t for sailors
because it blurs the navigational instruments
and dismisses the wind’s tacit orders.
But tequila, on the other hand, enraptures those returning by train
and those driving the train, because it stays faithful
and blind in its loyalty to the rails’ parallel delirium
and to hurried greetings in the stations
where the train pauses to testify to
its inscrutable destination, errant, subject to the inevitable laws.
There are trees under whose shadow it is wonderful to drink it
with the parsimony of those who preach in wind
and other trees where tequila can’t stand the shade
that dims its powers and in whose branches it stirs up
a flower blue as the warnings on bottles of poison.
When tequila waves its fringed, serrated flag,
the battle halts and armies return
the order they intended to impose.
Often two squires accompany it: salt and lime.
But it is always ready to start the conversation
without any more help than its lustrous clarity.
From the start, tequila doesn’t recognize borders.
But there are propitious climates
just as certain hours suggest it, knowing full well: to fix
the time when night arrives at its stores,
in the splendor of an afternoon without obligations,
in the highest pitch of doubt and hesitation.
It is then when tequila offers us its consoling lesson,
its infallible joy, its unreserved indulgence.
Also, there are foods that call for its presence:
those springing from the ground from which it, too, was born.
Inconceivable if they didn’t bond with millenary certainty.
To break that pact would be a grave breach with dogma
prescribed to allay the rough job of living.
If “gin smiles like a dead girl,”
tequila spies on us with the green eyes of a prudent sentry.
Tequila has no history, no anecdote
confirming its birth. It is so from the beginning
because it is the gift of the gods
and, usually, when they promise something they aren’t telling tales.
That is the office of mortals, children of panic and habit.
Such is tequila and so it will be
keeping us company
all the way to the silence from which no one returns.
Praise be, then, until the end of our days
and praise the daily effort toward denying that end.

• Like 1

Â