What's your tipple this evening then?

coda

Had the HonestBrew beer advent calendar this year, for a few different beers for Christmas, although have drank a couple on the day. Stuck a few bottles in the fridge today as they don't fit on my shelf. First one out and its only a bloody cider! 

image.png.f5ff9e8d085beeea1da206e7afca7f3d.png

Quite enjoyed it though, after the surprise. 

Also had the Brewdog Parma Violet one. It's never in stock when I got to Tesco but got one today. Enjoyed that one too. 

• Like 1

Also consuming some HonestBrew product over here, specifically this:

imbongo-can-shot.jpg?v=1592155564

This is 'Imbongo' (nice trademark dodge there) tropical IPA from Boundary Brewing, which appears to be a Norn Irish concern out of Belfast. It's suitably tropical, with a slightly metallic aftertaste. I have to say that I'm turning against tropical IPAs just a touch, as they really do all taste much of a muchness. This is more expensive than Clwb Tropica but it's not actually any nicer. Not bad in any way, just don't feel desperate to order any more.

spacer.png

First Anchor Christmas Ale of the season.   They’ve been doing them for 47 years, with a different recipe each year.  I think I had my first one something like 37 years ago.  It’s usually a spiced ale but this year is a porter with just a hint of spice.  It feels like Christmas now.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Having a gin and tonic. Tonic is a bit tasteless and very flat.  Had a gin and soda water. **** idiot. 

I've drank quite a bit of gin and tonic the last couple of nights, when I couldn't stomach any more ale! Very refreshing. Hendricks in the main. 

• Like 3

On 17/12/2021 at 00:42, il_serpente said:

spacer.png

First Anchor Christmas Ale of the season.   They’ve been doing them for 47 years, with a different recipe each year.  I think I had my first one something like 37 years ago.  It’s usually a spiced ale but this year is a porter with just a hint of spice.  It feels like Christmas now.

When we go to my wife's fam in the bay area this is what I'm hitting.
8805931319326.png

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

When we go to my wife's fam in the bay area this is what I'm hitting.
8805931319326.png

Excellent choice.   The annual release of Pliny the Younger is a cultish thing with people lining up and the brewery having to strictly limit purchases.  I suspect at some point it stopped being about the beer and is now all about being able to say you got your hands on some.

58 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

Excellent choice.   The annual release of Pliny the Younger is a cultish thing with people lining up and the brewery having to strictly limit purchases.  I suspect at some point it stopped being about the beer and is now all about being able to say you got your hands on some.

My father in law gets it from somewhere - no idea where. Sad thats it's become that way though.

Anything from the Russian River Valley is always superb - best Pinot on the planet. Hartford is our favorite winery if you're into that kind of thing and ever find yourself up that way.

52 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

My father in law gets it from somewhere - no idea where. Sad thats it's become that way though.

Anything from the Russian River Valley is always superb - best Pinot on the planet. Hartford is our favorite winery if you're into that kind of thing and ever find yourself up that way.

Never been to Hartford but will look out for it.  I've been to a lot of the other wineries in the area.  Rochioli and Dehlinger were my favorite Pinots from the area, but demand always exceeded production and there was a wait to get on the list to buy it, as i recall.  Also quite expensive.  I'm a club member at a couple of wineries that do good Pinot so I get most of my Pinot from them.

45 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

Never been to Hartford but will look out for it.  I've been to a lot of the other wineries in the area.  Rochioli and Dehlinger were my favorite Pinots from the area, but demand always exceeded production and there was a wait to get on the list to buy it, as i recall.  Also quite expensive.  I'm a club member at a couple of wineries that do good Pinot so I get most of my Pinot from them.

Dehlinger are good but after extensive and exhaustive research ;)I can save you trouble and say Hartford & Arista are 2 spectacular Pinot makers.

In-laws have a house in Sebastopol - bought when it was apple orchards in the 50's which have been ripped out for vines. Now, every patch of grass in Sonoma has a vine on it - right next to the highway. It makes you think when you buy a bottle that has "Sonoma" on it how much asphalt has seeped in. But I've been fortunate to spend a lot of time there. What a place, it's a travesty it's going to burn to the ground in the next 10 years.

Gimlets are nice. But sadly these days I couldn't tell you the last time I drank spirits as I just can't take the hangovers. They seem to be between excruciating and murderous these days. Red wine once a month, maybe, otherwise it's Sauvignon Blanc. I'll have a nice drop of Pinot on Christmas day with the prime rib but it's a shame I can't do cocktails anymore.

Edited by TheAuthority

2 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Dehlinger are good but after extensive and exhaustive research ;)I can save you trouble and say Hartford & Arista are 2 spectacular Pinot makers.

In-laws have a house in Sebastopol - bought when it was apple orchards in the 50's which have been ripped out for vines. Now, every patch of grass in Sonoma has a vine on it - right next to the highway. It makes you think when you buy a bottle that has "Sonoma" on it how much asphalt has seeped in. But I've been fortunate to spend a lot of time there. What a place, it's a travesty it's going to burn to the ground in the next 10 years.

Gimlets are nice. But sadly these days I couldn't tell you the last time I drank spirits as I just can't take the hangovers. They seem to be between excruciating and murderous these days. Red wine once a month, maybe, otherwise it's Sauvignon Blanc. I'll have a nice drop of Pinot on Christmas day with the prime rib but it's a shame I can't do cocktails anymore.

Nice.  Beautiful area.   A good friend had a house in Graton.  I used to go up for the weekend of the Wine Country Century bike ride in the early 2000’s.  Didn’t do any tasting then as we were too tired after the ride, but used to go tasting (and buying) in Sonoma and Napa counties regularly in the late ‘90s.

Pinot is my favorite red.  I’ll probably drink Cab with the Christmas duck, though.  I have a few bottles of good Cab around and don’t drink it much with meals because I don’t eat red meat.   Duck is one of the few things I eat that’s really a good match with a Cab..

Â