E3 2018

LakotaDakota

Nintendo has stuff in the works, they've announced a new Metroid for instance, there will no doubt be returns to their other titles, and of course they do their own Directs throughout the year.

But for a showcase, major event, to do a montage and show some brief trailers, one of which is stuff they have shown numerous times and are nearly out, followed by half an hour of Smash in anal detail, is absurd.

I know but they needed to show it. We all know what they have in the works, we needed to see more of it. This was their chance to reassure people the console is worth buying/worth keeping via a mahoosive audience and they failed big time. I didn’t think anyone could do a worse conference than either EA or Square but Nintendo managed it. Terrible stuff.

Anyone really surprised? They have been the same for years, Release new console, release shiny new version of mario/mario kart/mario tennis/mario everything they can think of, New zelda, Donkey kong, pokemon & then that's it. 3rd party devs jump in early but then realise that nobody buys their games on nintendo consoles so they drop it within 2 years. Nintendo then release a game or 2 every year to keep people happy. They would probably double/treble their game sales if they just produced games & released them on ps4/xboxone

• Like 1

bit of a shit e3 overall i think, nothing really that new especially in terms of exclusives, i dont think there was anything on show that would sell me a console (maybe a PS4 with the gameplay details of their big 4 games) plenty of service to those who are already fans of the console they own

Q1 is going to be fun next year too, Q2 will be good in the sales!

6 hours ago, Chindie said:

Also just me that thought the new Remedy game looked like they'd literally photocopied the good bits of Quantum Break and called it something new? There's bits of that trailer that looked near identical to the Microsoft flop...

This is likely the Quantum Break that Remedy wanted to make initially. Microsoft have a pretty bad reputation of meddling in third party exclusives. You only have to read up on Platinum Games vision for Scalebound that they weren't allowed to make because Microsoft had their own vision. Remedy broke off a several year exclusive publishing agreement with Microsoft to go multi-platform, only to make Quantum Break again? Something happened during the making of that game between Remedy and Microsoft. So yes it looks like Quantum Break, but I have no doubts that it will be a vastly better game. 

Edited by Daweii

Really disappointing from Nintendo. I was hoping for some games I might be interested in and was sadly let down.

Time to sell the Switch I think.

Nintendo for once has all the third party games in the world, but their first party has vanished on them.

The main issue is even the big games like Metroid Prime 4 could be average as Retro Studios isn't making it, it's being handled by some nameless Bandai Namco studio. 

5 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

Anyone really surprised? They have been the same for years, Release new console, release shiny new version of mario/mario kart/mario tennis/mario everything they can think of, New zelda, Donkey kong, pokemon & then that's it. 3rd party devs jump in early but then realise that nobody buys their games on nintendo consoles so they drop it within 2 years. Nintendo then release a game or 2 every year to keep people happy. They would probably double/treble their game sales if they just produced games & released them on ps4/xboxone

All of this would be true two years ago, but it certainly does not apply to the Switch.

The Switch is becoming a very capable handheld indie machine while keeping the IP's that separate it from steam and any other console. The brand is performing better than it has in years and while you're right on multi plat releasing, I hope they never do.

They haven't taken E3 that seriously in a few years, so I'm not sure why people are so disappointed. Despite what EA and Ubisoft might want to tell everybody, E3 isn't that important. Look at Rockstar. They've shown at one in the last 10 years (for DLC ffs)

All this Nintendo defending aside, hurry up and give me another F Zero

The Switch is doing well of course and it is a good indie machine.

But E3 is still important. It's the biggest showcase of the year, its where everyone platform sets out it's stall for the next year and beyond. Even though Nintendo approaches it differently than they used to they still usually have things to show to excite, even where they choose to focus heavily on a single title. This year they have turned up with a single big title that isn't exciting, and then did an outright silly presentation of it. Apparently even their presence on the show floor is far worse than usual with people leaving feeling dejected. This isn't a good show for them and that does matter, the narrative increasingly turns towards Switch having a bit of a fallow year, because even with the numbers of indie releases these don't excite, they're old hat. And there's little backing these up.

E3 still matters. Sure there are figures in the industry that choose to ignore it. Blizzard, because they do their own thing. Valve because they don't make games anymore. Rockstar because their brands are so big their announcements are an event in themselves. Nintendo to an extent have done similar, they do the Directs throughout the year these days. But they still turn up at E3 and they still use it as a showcase for their biggest titles. As does everyone else, even when they all also do their own things. This year, Nintendo have had a bad year.

12 hours ago, Rino8 said:

All of this would be true two years ago, but it certainly does not apply to the Switch.The Switch is becoming a very capable handheld indie machine while keeping the IP's that separate it from steam and any other console. The brand is performing better than it has in years and while you're right on multi plat releasing, I hope they never do

The third party games are not selling though. It has been out well over a year now & Only 10 switch games have sold a million+ copies worldwide. 8 of those were published by nintendo. The other 2 are pokken tournament & bomberman. Devs will soon decide it simpy isn't worth it

After completing Zelda and getting my fill of Mario Kart, my Switch has been collecting dust in the corner of my living room, waiting for a game to be released that I might actually be interested in.

13 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

After completing Zelda and getting my fill of Mario Kart, my Switch has been collecting dust in the corner of my living room, waiting for a game to be released that I might actually be interested in.

Exactly this. 

Genuinely thinking about selling it tbh.

• Like 1

i'm looking at it from not owning one, i have a xbone collecting dust and think about trading it for a switch and zelda, for me i think the switch is still around £100 too expensive to justify it

it came out a year a go and the only new exclusive IPs for it are arms and labo...and based on yesterday its going to a while until the next one comes out too and i know its got better 3rd party support but are people really choosing to play fifa on switch rather than the ps4/xbone? then you throw in no red dead, no CoD, no madden, no Battlefield 

i still dont see nintendo making anything other than a 2nd choice console 

watched some days gone footage seeing as sony didnt show it, i dont think it'll score any 10s which is probably why they left it off but there's definitely more of a game in there than the first trailers suggested, sounds like a part open world with your bike playing a large part both in terms of collecting parts / fixing it and collecting fuel in order to progress, also looks like decent customisation and side missions to unlock weapon parts and a day / night + weather mechanic on the enemies

almost like a poor mans the last of us with world war z style swarms thrown in and lots more guns added to combat them, thats the other reason they might not have shown it

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

i'm looking at it from not owning one, i have a xbone collecting dust and think about trading it for a switch and zelda, for me i think the switch is still around £100 too expensive to justify it

it came out a year a go and the only new exclusive IPs for it are arms and labo...and based on yesterday its going to a while until the next one comes out too and i know its got better 3rd party support but are people really choosing to play fifa on switch rather than the ps4/xbone? then you throw in no red dead, no CoD, no madden, no Battlefield 

i still dont see nintendo making anything other than a 2nd choice console 

Do you have a wii U? Just spend £40 and get it for that instead.

I fully acknowledge my personal ninty tastes are against the grain but my favourite Nintendo games are Mario Sunshine, any Zelda, F-Zero, Metroid Prime and Star Fox Adventures (yes yes I know). 

Outside of a 4-5 year cycle of a main Zelda game then it appears Nintendo don’t make games that suit my preferences and don’t have enough other games to keep me going. Indies aren’t enough to justify keeping it. 

I don’t care at all about Arms, Labo, Fortnite, Splatoon, Fire Emblem, Pokemon or **** sodding Smash. No interest in them whatsoever. 

I want another SF Adventure type game, I want another Sunshine game, I want another F-Zero ffs. I wanted Skyward Sword without motion controls. I wanted ports of Wind Waker and Twilight Princess HD. Or something new, not retreads. I got nothing at all. Not even anymore info on backwards compatibility or virtual store stuff.

The quarterly directs help but you can’t hang around hoping for stuff on a whim, Nintendo need to announce more stuff more regularly and then go into detail during the directs. Consumers need to know that good stuff is coming more often and that it’s stuff we actually want. Not half hearted filler like the next non big Pokémon games.

Back to the switch, I’ve finished BotW and Odyssey. So why would I keep it? XBC2 was the only other game I was interested in but not enough to warrant not selling. I’ve since bought a second hand wii U and got BotW, WW&TP HD and Skyward Sword for well over a hundred pounds less than just the switch on it’s own. Then I can play Captain Toad and Hyrule Warriors still as well and for less money. Plus all the Wii games. 

I think the Switch is a great console but unless the games I want to play are there I’m not going to keep it just to play a new Zelda every 5 years. 

I think the last 18 months have taught me that my plan with Nintendo from now on has to be to buy the console at the end of its life then cherry pick the games. Otherwise it’s always just going to be a lesson in fruatration.

Â