E3 2018

LakotaDakota

As a conference that didn't really work, the intermission was stupid

but the games...absolutely nailed it, TLoU, ghosts and death stranding graphically were incredible, the colours of ghosts, the movement in the last of us, the scale of DS...the only one I'm not sold on is Spiderman, looks a bit heavy on button commands 

and they showed RE2

i think 4 of my top 5 (cyberpunk) were shown tonight so they got away with it 

it really was bad at the start

TLOU2 gameplay looks engrossing if you're a fan of the series and characters.* I understand the button smashing to get out of a tight corner is played out but I'm looking forward to this game sooooooooo much.

*I'm a complete fanboy - TLOU = best game I've ever played.

Just catching up with the Sony conference.

I never played the Last of Us, but what's been shown of the sequel just looks unrelentingly grim. Technically it looks fantastic, and I'd be interested to see exactly how much of that sequence is scripted, but it also appears so oppressive you'd struggle to play for long. Also, for how great it looks, they could have done with a few more character models - its pretty jarring when the same woman is murdered 4 times in a 5 minute sequence. And the contrast between the violence and tenderness is so on the nose it's verging on silly.

Ghost of Tsushima looks great. The lighting is just incredible and it looks like there's some cool subtlety to the combat that you kinda need with a katana based combat game. Very interested in that.

RE2 looks truly excellent.

The show has had far too much Kingdom Hearts shown.

The juxtaposition of the brutal nature of a lot of the game, along with some really 'nice' moments are what made TLOU so memorable, I think. Particularly THAT moment for those who have played it. I honestly didn't like the gameplay very much, but I did like the way the world was built, and the writing was terrific. You're right though, it's a fine line and if it's poorly judged it may not come off very well when playing it. You should definitely play TLOU on PS4, it's in sales quite often and I can imagine it being PS+'d at some point.

• Like 1

Death Stranding is still intriguing. And as expected we got gameplay and still no idea what on earth it is. It's still pointedly very Kojima, and awesome soundtrack. I'm keen to see what it actually ends up being - atm it looks like the Postman set in Iceland with weird sci fi goings on.

Nioh 2 isn't a great shock.

Spider-Man looks good, costume aside, but was a slightly odd demo. It was basically Arkham Asylum with chase set pieces, and looked good with it, but that's not quite the draw for me. I'd like to see more of the open world stuff. Also the design on every character is a bit crap.

Good showing from Sony all in all, they are blowing everything away this generation and nothing looks like catching them. The show itself was a misstep though. They'd have done better with something very straight.

I thought Spider Man looks a bit shit. Seems like a mixture of button bashing, QTE and looks waaaay too linear to the point where it seems like you have to give 0 thought to where you're going. 

Odd to have not seen Mortal Kombat announced. Netherrealm's schedule is pretty clear and a reveal here was nailed on it seemed. Also biting from Rocksteady... It's been 3 years since Arkham Knight, an open secret they are working on a Superman game (intriguing in itself, Superman doesn't translate to games well), and yet nothing.

In fact has Warner Bros shown anything?

1 minute ago, PieFacE said:

I thought Spider Man looks a bit shit. Seems like a mixture of button bashing, QTE and looks waaaay too linear to the point where it seems like you have to give 0 thought to where you're going. 

I'm lead to believe its more open world with 'levels' as the story proceeds which has the more QTE scripted sequences, and Sony this far have focused on showing the scripted stuff.

I watched a bit of the open world traversal stuff and it looks good. Really good. My only criticism is Spider-Man is a supremely acrobatic character, but the combat pushes that to the point where he basically floats, which looks slightly too silly. And they seem to have done some QTE while web swinging stuff to mix up the movement that looks a bit too canned - stuff like you'll be swinging down a street and there's a huge pipe lifted by a crane that you can dive through if you time a button press right. I'm not sure what that really adds to anything, unless there's gameplay benefits for it (increased momentum or whatever).

But I think it looks pretty good all in all.

• Like 1

Also just me that thought the new Remedy game looked like they'd literally photocopied the good bits of Quantum Break and called it something new? There's bits of that trailer that looked near identical to the Microsoft flop...

4 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Also just me that thought the new Remedy game looked like they'd literally photocopied the good bits of Quantum Break and called it something new? There's bits of that trailer that looked near identical to the Microsoft flop...

Nah I think you're right. It looks like it's QB2 with a different name. 

i think it does, its still a bit clunky, you have to remember the PS4 game is a HD master of an old gamecube game, 15 years old i think, pre RE4

RE2 is the best in the series IMO, better setting and story than 4, so the idea of RE2 with RE4 gameplay is really exciting 

1 hour ago, hogso said:

The juxtaposition of the brutal nature of a lot of the game, along with some really 'nice' moments are what made TLOU so memorable, I think. Particularly THAT moment for those who have played it. I honestly didn't like the gameplay very much, but I did like the way the world was built, and the writing was terrific. You're right though, it's a fine line and if it's poorly judged it may not come off very well when playing it. You should definitely play TLOU on PS4, it's in sales quite often and I can imagine it being PS+'d at some point.

There were parts of the gameplay in TLOU that made it quite limited, imo. Certainly too limited to be considered one of the best games ever which I've seen attributed to it.

But it was still a fantastic game, and the grimness and brutality of it was a huge part of that. 

50 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

Does Resi Remake 1 still hold up for someone who has never played a single game in the series? 

Yes it's superb. I thought they did a terrific job of rebuilding the game from the ground up but retaining the atmosphere of the original version (although I am quite a big fan of the series so my view may be a little clouded).

Good grief stop with the Smash stuff. When you're having to tell us you've improved the face of Wii Fit Trainer and Captain Olimar's helmet cracks briefly when hit, you're taking the piss.

Hahaha, I feel justified in selling my switch again. What an absolute shit show. After a stellar 2017 they have reverted right back to ninty of old. They have no idea how to truly capitalise on things do they. 

Â