Careers cut short through injury

Xela

When it eventually happens it will be interesting to see the reaction to sturridge

Personally i think hes really overrated, 2 good seasons in his career the main 1 being alongside suarez when the whole liverpool team played well, i always thought he was a bit selfish and goes looking for the ball in areas he shouldnt be in rather than sticking up front (especially for england, went hiding in midfield with rooney when we were shit in the euros) 

I know he was shit in England but Tomas Brolin before he broke his foot against Hungary in late 94 was very, very good. He was in the FIFA team of the tournament for the 94 WC.

After that he didn't have the mentality to regain his form or physique.

Ended his career at 28 after only playing about 45 games in total during his last 4 seasons.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sne said:

I know he was shit in England but Tomas Brolin before he broke his foot against Hungary in late 94 was very, very good. He was in the FIFA team of the tournament for the 94 WC.

After that he didn't have the mentality to regain his form or physique.

Ended his career at 28 after only playing about 45 games in total during his last 4 seasons.

You can add Martin Dahlin to that list as well. My enduring image of Brolin was simply how fat he got, and that game against his former club Leeds for Palace, where he got blasted in the face with the ball. Brilliant player in his pomp though, him and Dahlin destroyed England in Euro 92.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

Fridge McFridgerson. Horrifically injured bumming a pigeon in a Butlins carpark.

Cripes, that's humiliating. Imagine having to holiday at Butlins.

On 4/10/2018 at 09:10, villa4europe said:

When it eventually happens it will be interesting to see the reaction to sturridge

Personally i think hes really overrated, 2 good seasons in his career the main 1 being alongside suarez when the whole liverpool team played well, i always thought he was a bit selfish and goes looking for the ball in areas he shouldnt be in rather than sticking up front (especially for england, went hiding in midfield with rooney when we were shit in the euros) 

All i will remember is someone made of glass and that stupid goal celebration 

On 09/04/2018 at 05:09, TheAuthority said:

Funnily enough when I saw the title of this thread I thought of Dean Ashton.

Can't believe I'm the 1st one the say it. Gary Shaw :(

Absolutely - I admit to being biased when discussing Gary Shaw - but I genuinely believe that Shaw was a much better player than Gary Lineker and that Shaw would have been a main stay of the National team but for injury 

3 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Absolutely - I admit to being biased when discussing Gary Shaw - but I genuinely believe that Shaw was a much better player than Gary Lineker and that Shaw would have been a main stay of the National team but for injury 

I admit that I didn't see him live but my impression was that he was more of Peter Beardsley type player? He buzzed around creating opportunities for others and of course scoring himself. Either way, a huge loss - oh what could have been.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheAuthority said:

I admit that I didn't see him live but my impression was that he was more of Peter Beardsley type player? He buzzed around creating opportunities for others and of course scoring himself. Either way, a huge loss - oh what could have been.

Yes - I can see the similarities between them, both extremely  skilfull and very intelligent -  neither were blessed with lighting pace - but their speed of thought made up for this. 

• Like 1

Not sure if it really counts as an injury, but the one that always sticks with me was Fabrice Muamba having to stop playing at 24.

Another one is Adrian Doherty. He was supposed to be the best of United's 'class of 92', but suffered a career ending cruciate injury just before he was due to make his debut. He then moved to Amsterdam with work, and died after slipping and falling into a canal at 26. There is a book about him called 'Forever Young' .

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Jenko#4 said:

Not sure if it really counts as an injury, but the one that always sticks with me was Fabrice Muamba having to stop playing at 24.

Another one is Adrian Doherty. He was supposed to be the best of United's 'class of 92', but suffered a career ending cruciate injury just before he was due to make his debut. He then moved to Amsterdam with work, and died after slipping and falling into a canal at 26. There is a book about him called 'Forever Young' .

Very thoughtful post - thank you for sharing this with us.

• Like 1

Some Villa related ones in my lifetime:

Ivo Stas - signed by Dr Jo after playing in Italy 90 against us in the UEFA Cup (scored an own goal!), never played a first team game for us before retiring around 1992.

Steve Froggett - retired in his late 20's with ankle trouble.

I think we got insurance money for Fash in 95.

Although Tony Daley played until his early 30's (non league with Forest Green), his suffered bad injuries.

Also, Ricky Scimeca retired early 30's at Cardiff.

Pierluigi Casiraghi - 10 operations but unable to come back from injury sustained at West Ham when playing for Chelsea

15 hours ago, Unused Sub said:

Some Villa related ones in my lifetime:

Ivo Stas - signed by Dr Jo after playing in Italy 90 against us in the UEFA Cup (scored an own goal!), never played a first team game for us before retiring around 1992.

Steve Froggett - retired in his late 20's with ankle trouble.

I think we got insurance money for Fash in 95.

Although Tony Daley played until his early 30's (non league with Forest Green), his suffered bad injuries.

Also, Ricky Scimeca retired early 30's at Cardiff.

A friend of mine saw Stas play for the first team - a pre season friendly at Redditch Utd if I remember correctly 

Â