Winter Olympics PyeongChang 2018

sne

Watched some snow boarding this morning, the British commentators were so biased. Saying the British rider was robbed of a higher score and should’ve been the final. Yet I saw at least 7 riders a lot better than the Brit, so definitely didn’t deserve to be in the final 6

27 minutes ago, Tegis said:

And after a crash as well. Strong stuff

Yep, one of the strongest individual races I’ve ever seen. 

It seems Kalla may be too strong for my 10 gold target, though. Which shouldn’t come as a complete shock, I suppose. As opposed to the Norwegian women (Bjørgen aside), she knows that the Olympics are more important than a January WC race in Planica. 

20 minutes ago, sne said:

...While Calle Halfvarsson who has the mental toughness of Piglet from Winnie the Pooh quit early on in the race, jumped over a fence to avoid journalists and ran away... :D

Halfvarsson really is in danger of becoming a bit of a joke. Wtf is wrong with the guy? Is he really that weak, or is it the stomach illness? 

4 minutes ago, Michelsen said:

Halfvarsson really is in danger of becoming a bit of a joke. Wtf is wrong with the guy? Is he really that weak, or is it the stomach illness? 

The constant bullying by Northug over the years has finally taken it's toll on him and Hellner :D 

Not sure what's going on with him, but he's constantly sick or suffering from something.

I heard something today that the body didn't respond so he quit rather tan waste more energy slogging at the back of the pack. could be sensible I guess.

But somehow I doubt that's the full truth

So the Olympics are of to a bit of a shaky start, even not counting the earthquake.

All the alpine events so far has been postponed due to heavy winds, and the snowboard and slopestyle has been ran despite said winds resulting in people dropping like flies.

Winds also causing huge problems in the biathlon .

Other than that there is an ongoing outbreak of Noro-virus, a highly contagious stomach virus that has almost 200 people sick and quarantined.

German paper Bild is reporting that the Olympic flame went out and that the organizers showed a looped recording while it was fixed.

Also reports of lots of unsold tickets with seats filled by volunteers. 

• Sad 1

Hopefully, they'll learn from running the women's snowboarding events today. Halfpipe, slopestyle or aerials in any discipline is pretty much a weather lottery if the wind is gusting all over the place. I get that there are lots of events to cram in and I get that the next couple of days doesn't look like the wind is going to ease up much if the forecasts are to be believed but it wasn't much of a showcase. Bit like playing the World Cup Final on that Rochdale pitch.

Respect to Andrew Musgrave though while you Vikings are squabbling over medals. British performance of the games so far.

Have to echo the snowboarding commentary, it just sounds like two random fans in the stands cheering people on with the odd shout or moan/groan type noise rather than professionals explaining and describing for people watching at home. Plus the frat nature of it all just puts me off watching. 

Kim eating ice cream and doing her whole alt-scene ‘social media image’ routine during the interviews and completely disregarding the questions being asked of her was irritating as well. It all makes the whole thing look amateur compared to the other disciplines.

4 hours ago, maqroll said:

I prefer the sports that aren't judged.

So do I as a general rule. Ice dancing as a competitive sport is something I've never really understood much like synchronised swimming and rhythmic gymnastics. I like the snowboarding and freestyle skiing at the winter olympics though and things like the diving at the summer games. There's a bit of awe going on. I hate being off my feet.

Â