Axel Tuanzebe

alreadyexists

1 hour ago, Nigel said:

Hopefully we won't have outgrown him ourselves and we can take advantage.

If its a choice between developing and being more successful to the point of ‘outgrowing’ the need for AT i’d be happy. Good player, pleased he is doing well,but longer term we need to be finding young players like this ourselves now as much as we can. 

Edited by honest_bertie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nigel said:

Thing with this modern United is that they may not be afforded the time to blood youngsters like they used to as they are playing catch up to a good few teams.

The enormous resources available to them means that sooner or later they will spend big on this problem position which will marginalise kids such as tuanzebe. 

Yes he will go back in the short term but I would not be surprised to see him sold in a few years.

Hopefully we won't have outgrown him ourselves and we can take advantage.

They have already Lindelof and Bailly both cost around 30 mill I think.....

On 16/11/2018 at 02:54, TRO said:

so much potential, I really like the lad.

however, needs to work on long balls in to the box.

Popped in to the thread to share similar sentiments.

Looked very good against Derby. I wouldn't have many qualms about this one becoming permanent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, A'Villan said:

Popped in to the thread to share similar sentiments.

Looked very good against Derby. I wouldn't have many qualms about this one becoming permanent.

Sorry to be a killjoy but I saw an interview Tuanzebe wants to go back to Man Utd

3 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Yeah, I've seen an interview where he is clear United is his 'home' club.

Can't blame him. He's only 21 and is signed by one of the worlds biggest football clubs.

Just like Onomah wants a career opportunity with Spurs and not Sheffield Wednesday, actually making a big enough statement to crack in to the team is another thing entirely.

Who knows, if say we get promoted this season and Tuanzebe is an integral part of that, we offer him football and United won't, then I'm sure he'll at least have something to think about.

Agreed entirely

3 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

He has represented England at U19, U20 and U21, however if he has a storming season this season then it won't be too long before he features at senior level too.

I’m just wondering why he isn’t in current u21 squad as they’ve got games atm

4 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I’m just wondering why he isn’t in current u21 squad as they’ve got games atm

Possibly due to parent club permission.

I recall last year Man Utd saying no to him playing international due to his club commitments at the time with them.

That's assuming he has chosen to play for the England national team over his native DR Congo at senior level.

One thing I will say about him is for a centre back, he’s not very dominant in the air. Don’t get me wrong, I think he’s a great centre back, he’s quick and reads the game well but I think someone like Jutkiewicz will have some joy against him, prove me wrong

23 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

One thing I will say about him is for a centre back, he’s not very dominant in the air. Don’t get me wrong, I think he’s a great centre back, he’s quick and reads the game well but I think someone like Jutkiewicz will have some joy against him, prove me wrong

Timothy Fosu-Mensah has the same issue, too.  He has a ton of pace and is useful with the ball at his feet, but he gets dominated in the air very easily for a good sized, strong guy.  Tuanzebe is even bigger than Fosu-Mensah and has the same struggles; I wonder if Man Utd academy defenders aren't focusing enough on that one aspect of their game.  I remember listening to an interview (I think it was with Rio Ferdinand) once about how he had to teach himself how to be a good defensive header of the ball, and the only way to do it was to head dozens of aerial balls after practice.  It isn't an enjoyable training session, but in the long run it would be worth if for Axel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â