The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

The Arsenal handball was up there with the most baffling decisions I’ve ever witnessed.

And the consensus that I’ve seen online/in the media is that ours was even more obvious. Shows how bad it was :D

44 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Posted it yesterday 

As someone else said its mental that the discussion there is whether or not it should have been a red or not, madness as it wasn't even a foul

From memory we were 1-0 down but not out of the game and that kind of tackle could have got the crowd going and given us a boost and the ref stopped it

Also from memory saka screamed so loud you could hear it on the TV, it was like he trod on lego 

I watched that front of the Doug Ellis, it was ridiculous. Saka was nowhere near the ball, he just had no chance of getting to it, and it looked for all the world like Mings had just stretched and cleared the ball. It didn't even cross my mind that it could be a foul because Saka was just nowhere near it until he decided to carry on and get involved and leave his leg trailing.

Edited by Lichfield Dean
  • Like 1

The VAR and particularly the onfield referees seem to be making something, which should get easier with experience so so hard.

It's simple and obvious, onfield referees cannot work on VAR, as when working onfield they are now fully depend on it. I've said before, it's like when someone who has used a pen forever, starts to use a computer, they are generally clueless, an find it hard to change. Not one of these guys signed up for a desk job. It needs independent people not fully associated with the referees, who are there to help, not there to fully ref the ***** game!!

I think it was Michael Oliver on VAR who called the ref back to disallow Everton there first goal, the onfield ref was never gonna over rule him, even though Oliver got it completely wrong, probably looking at about 5 angles and speeds.

Make it so the onfield ref calls for VAR, unless its a 'blatent' 'clear and obvious error, I know this is what should be happening.

An why I'm on the rant, the media might have lots of love for him, but Howard Webb is not the man for the job. Disaplinary procedures for a start are all wrong, the refs learn nothing from them,an I'm really not sure what makes him the master of VAR, if he is that good, he should be working in the VAR room a game a week with the referees.

10 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

And the consensus that I’ve seen online/in the media is that ours was even more obvious. Shows how bad it was :D

It didn't help when the ref tapped his shoulder, as the VAR must of said it hit his shoulder, which was completely wrong.

I have no idea why we can see it on the TV, an professional VAR with all the screens cannot, its baffling. An they wonder why fans shout corruption. 

54 minutes ago, Adman said:

Wow.  That is a terrible decision.  Can't we get an AI robot to review stuff?  Or a chicken or something with more consistency?

Pity Paul the Octopus died, he had more knowledge on football than some in the game

37 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

With ours there’s a debate about the t-shirt/ armpit line and also if it’s also hitting chest at the same time. Benefit of the doubt given (annoying for us).
With the Arsenal one it’s hand, and only hand, more than once. I don’t know how it can be argued as not being hand ball.

1 minute ago, Genie said:

With ours there’s a debate about the t-shirt/ armpit line and also if it’s also hitting chest at the same time. Benefit of the doubt given (annoying for us).
With the Arsenal one it’s hand, and only hand, more than once. I don’t know how it can be argued as not being hand ball.

Zero chance it hits the chest, the ball wouldn’t pop up like that with that movement. It’s a clear eye test one, and once again the only people who think it wasn’t is PGMOL

PGMOL’s logic on the arsenal one is that he’s slipping 

Edited by StefanAVFC

20 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Zero chance it hits the chest, the ball wouldn’t pop up like that with that movement. It’s a clear eye test one, and once again the only people who think it wasn’t is PGMOL

PGMOL’s logic on the arsenal one is that he’s slipping 

It's the movement of the arm/hand in both of them, which deems the handball. They are both not accidental movements, the ball is moved in the direction needed.

20 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

It's the movement of the arm/hand in both of them, which deems the handball. They are both not accidental movements, the ball is moved in the direction needed.

Exactly. You shouldn't be allowed to chest the ball and then slap the ball away from your opponent with your arm

The Arsenal one.....he plays the ball with his arm,  its as clear as day. I have no time for Liverpool and despise the moaning Arsenal do......but its handball, its clear as day. Any official who can argue it isn't should be told to clear their locker and find a new job. They can work through them one by one. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, tinker said:

The Arsenal one.....he plays the ball with his arm,  its as clear as day. I have no time for Liverpool and despise the moaning Arsenal do......but its handball, its clear as day. Any official who can argue it isn't should be told to clear their locker and find a new job. They can work through them one by one. 

But his arm is in a natural position... 

His body being in an unnatural one is neither here nor there apparently 

Absolutely nothing was said about the handball in our game either when the defender was on the floor and another SU player blasted the ball at him and it hit his hands as he was trying to get up... Of course it's not handball, no one in their right mind thinks that's handball... Yet I'm sure in the last 10 years of **** about with the rule there's been a time that it was 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Absolutely nothing was said about the handball in our game either when the defender was on the floor and another SU player blasted the ball at him and it hit his hands as he was trying to get up... Of course it's not handball, no one in their right mind thinks that's handball... Yet I'm sure in the last 10 years of **** about with the rule there's been a time that it was 

He knocks the ball away, or in the direction needed, same with the Villa one.

Even pundits are agreeing they were both handball and the opposing teams got away with it.

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Your off my list of potential VAR officials 😉

Haha are they having a competition to keep making the worst VAR decision ever day after day? Are they actually laughing at us all, "we'll never get away with that surely?" Ah go on! Hand was in a natural position, for a gorilla scraping along the floor LOL. **** it I'm on my 3rd Stella, no pen."

On 24/12/2023 at 10:34, Genie said:

The Arsenal handball was up there with the most baffling decisions I’ve ever witnessed.

I don’t mind that one so much. I think it should be handball, but he sort of stumbles whilst low and his hand would naturally move there.

The appeal Forest had against Bournemouth was far worse IMO. Arm outstretched behind the defender, ball crossed in from a decent distance away - not handball.

Who knows what is and what isn’t anymore. 

5 hours ago, bobzy said:

I don’t mind that one so much. I think it should be handball, but he sort of stumbles whilst low and his hand would naturally move there.

The appeal Forest had against Bournemouth was far worse IMO. Arm outstretched behind the defender, ball crossed in from a decent distance away - not handball.

Who knows what is and what isn’t anymore. 

that wasn't given because there was not "clear and obvious" evidence that the arm was inside the box. 

1 hour ago, Villaphan04 said:

that wasn't given because there was not "clear and obvious" evidence that the arm was inside the box. 

Yeah, this is baffling, they know it was handball, but not sure whether it was inside or outside the box. Did they give a free kick or just played on?

Â