The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

On 11/11/2023 at 07:06, jimmygreaves said:

I was thinking about this watching the AZ match on Thursday. It's got to the point where I think you could have a forward player who stands 25 yards offside for most of that game against us. A through ball to a wide man, who's onside, could then carry it forward and cross to the, now onside player who'd be free to take on a shot. Any defenders who would usually be covered him are miles away. He wouldn't be technically offside due to it being a different phase of play.

This literally happened a couple of times and the ref and lino seemed perfectly happy.

I agree with this, but technically this could also be done under the old system with players running rapidly beyond the defensive line and passing backwards, so I think this has always been a possible, albeit unlikely, occurrence with a defensive high line.

On 11/11/2023 at 08:11, turvontour said:

Its great for people that don't actually attend games as it just adds to the drama. A bit like the super league idea, those that actually attend all the games arent given a voice in all this. 

I really don't want to pay £1k a season to watch Ollie Watkins half heartedly celebrate a winner because the goal is essentially pending until a review is concluded. 

I don't think people who don't attend games like it much either, tbf.

12 minutes ago, sne said:

And bring back assistants flagging for offsides instead of just standing there until the situation is played out. If they think it's offside then raise the flag.

Nah, I've said before, they can't do this with VAR.

If you have VAR, you have to delay the flags.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Nah, I've said before, they can't do this with VAR.

If you have VAR, you have to delay the flags.

Nah, disagree. They will end up being wrong from time to time but that's part of the game. By all means don't raise the flag if you are uncertain but the way it is now with 5 meters offsides ignored is just silly.

Fwiw I'd happily get rid of VAR asap. Won't ever happen of course.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

Just now, sne said:

Nah, disagree. They will end up being wrong from time to time but that's part of the game.

But then you may as well not have VAR.

There's no point in VAR being able to overturn an incorrect decision if the consequence of that decision isn't decided.

A linesman flags, the ref blows. VAR decides it wasn't offside, so what do they do? They can't say "well it's a goal then" because they didn't let play carry on.

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

But then you may as well not have VAR.

There's no point in VAR being able to overturn an incorrect decision if the consequence of that decision isn't decided.

A linesman flags, the ref blows. VAR decides it wasn't offside, so what do they do? They can't say "well it's a goal then" because they didn't let play carry on.

If they are yards offside then flag otherwise play on 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, PaulC said:

If they are yards offside then flag otherwise play on 

Yeah yards off is silly. No issue with them flagging when it's blatant. Although the argument might then be where do you draw the line (pun intended)

Sure, why not. Let's increase it instead. Another step towards sponsored VAR breaks in games that I'm sure FIFA are gagging for to have in place for the 2026 WC.

Talks over extending VAR powers prompt fears of more delays

Allowing video referees to intervene on awarding of free kicks, corners and second yellow cards will be discussed at meeting of Ifab in London
The International Football Association Board (Ifab) is holding its business meeting in London on Tuesday and VAR developments are on the agenda. Sources said this would include a discussion on whether the scope of VAR’s decisions should be extended, though no decision will be taken before Ifab’s annual meeting in March.

It is understood the VAR working group wants lawmakers to decide whether video replays should be used in an attempt to increase further the accuracy of decision-making. At the moment, free kicks and corners are decided entirely by the on-field officials, and there have been examples of a wrong decision contributing to a goal being scored, leading to controversy.

VARs cannot decide on second yellow cards either, which has led to players who were wrongly cautioned being sent off.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/372afcb6-27f8-4a5f-be74-b15658a564e1?shareToken=a6f241da59d3ab52829f558c0412e8f2

I just don’t understand the logic of it. Ok, the 1st wolves pen, there isn’t enough to overturn the onfield decision of penalty despite the defender looking like he got a touch, but there’s enough to overturn the decision of no penalty on the 2nd?

they absolutely don’t have a clue what they’re doing do they?

And since when wasn’t contact with your head on someone’s face not a red?

**** appalling and I don’t like wolves at all 

4 hours ago, sne said:

Sure, why not. Let's increase it instead. Another step towards sponsored VAR breaks in games that I'm sure FIFA are gagging for to have in place for the 2026 WC.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/372afcb6-27f8-4a5f-be74-b15658a564e1?shareToken=a6f241da59d3ab52829f558c0412e8f2

this could easily be posted in 'the games gone thread'

ridiculous 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, imavillan said:

this could easily be posted in 'the games gone thread'

ridiculous 

I thought the ref was in charge not VAR. Wouldn't put it past me if referees are for this, they seem to be making less and less decisions lately anyway. Linesman is now just a paper tiger.

Just now, Spoony said:

The blame can’t all be at the refs doors. Players buying fouls, exaggerating contact, etc. has a huge part to play. The premier league is just a ridiculous soap opera now. 

Yet Kilman doesn’t go down despite getting a headbutt to the nose and so the decision doesn’t go Wolves’ way. 

51 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I just don’t understand the logic of it. Ok, the 1st wolves pen, there isn’t enough to overturn the onfield decision of penalty despite the defender looking like he got a touch, but there’s enough to overturn the decision of no penalty on the 2nd?

they absolutely don’t have a clue what they’re doing do they?

And since when wasn’t contact with your head on someone’s face not a red?

**** appalling and I don’t like wolves at all 

Yep, it's awful. It really does seem like they intentionally go out of their way to get as involved in the game as possible.

31 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Referee has  said he got the first Fulham one wrong but sticks by the Wilson one being a pen .. in other words both pens are the complete opposite of what he gave on the pitch

If both decisions stayed as they were or both were overturned there wouldn’t be a % of the outrage. But in the same game they’ve done a complete 180 on what a clear and obvious error is. It’s just unsaveable at this point. Scrap it. 

• Like 1

Â