The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

The Chilwell tackle was not a red card, dangerous yes and on another day could have caused some serious injury but his foot didn’t leave the floor and that’s what saved him. If it had been even 2 or 3 inches higher he’d have been a goner as it was fully studs showing but I don’t think it was a red

34 minutes ago, bobzy said:

He’s not off the ground. If he WAS off the ground, it would be a red because that completely changes the whole dynamic (actually landing on the player).

I dunno - I don’t want the game to be mistimed challenge = red.

As @WakefieldVillan says, it’s an “orange” situation and I think either decision (yellow and stays on or red and goes off) is valid and wouldn’t be overturned. 

He looked a couple of inches off the ground to me. How far off the ground is too far off the ground? I thought the point of the off the ground rule is that it effectively impacts the ankle, while allowing the recipients foot to remain planted on the ground, which will with enough force break the ankle. To me, that tackle qualifies as an ankle breaker, as he's impacted the ankle. If JJs foot did not give way and slide out because he was lifting it, he's buggered. It's a megashit challenge and a red for me.

3 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

He looked a couple of inches off the ground to me. How far off the ground is too far off the ground? I thought the point of the off the ground rule is that it effectively impacts the ankle, while allowing the recipients foot to remain planted on the ground, which will with enough force break the ankle. To me, that tackle qualifies as an ankle breaker, as he's impacted the ankle. If JJs foot did not give way and slide out because he was lifting it, he's buggered. It's a megashit challenge and a red for me.

image.png.bf4b2bbf7dbde0a5073ec88682e1dde4.png

Oh, I thought you meant off the ground in terms of Chilwell himself jumping in (which he did, then landed and slid... not the same thing for me).  With what you're describing (I think?) literally any challenge is off the ground if studs are showing.  I don't want that to always be a red.

Mitrovic the cheating word removed looked so injured he should have been stretchered off and subbed. 

What's that you say? Not injured in the slightest? 

I'm sure the pundits call it "clever". 

I call it cheating. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

If that's the handball rule then that's the handball rule, it's **** stupid bit it is what it is... But next week the same thing won't be given, we've already seen it with what happened with Digne

That's where PGMOL are **** shite

It deflected up onto his hand off his leg right? 

3 things:

Yes his arm is out but he's jumping to block so it isn't unnatural

Distance

Deflection

Any of the 3 could negate handball, yet ref gives it immediately and is confirmed by VAR

I just don't get it

7 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

It deflected up onto his hand off his leg right? 

3 things:

Yes his arm is out but he's jumping to block so it isn't unnatural

Distance

Deflection

Any of the 3 could negate handball, yet ref gives it immediately and is confirmed by VAR

I just don't get it

in previous seasons those 3 could negate handball, I'm sure cash had a deflected one overturned by VAR about 2 seasons ago

but are those the rules anymore or have they changed it again? VAR is down shit creek because PGMOL have **** about so much no one seems to know anymore and then they're not consistent with it

same as most of these VAR decisions it's not VAR that's broken its PGMOL, what the rules are, how they communicate them and then how they enforce them

it's worse...

cash is in a more natural position than Gabriel is

like I said week to week there's no consistency and that's the problem

fans dont know what the rule is anymore and the refs are either grossly incompetent and need replacing or crooked and need replacing pick your poison 

13 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

it's worse...

cash is in a more natural position than Gabriel is

like I said week to week there's no consistency and that's the problem

fans dont know what the rule is anymore and the refs are either grossly incompetent and need replacing or crooked and need replacing pick your poison 

I do wonder about Michael Oliver in the same way I worried about Kevin Friend refereeing Villa matches. I am not sure they are corrupt, but do think there is a bit of anti villa sentiment from them both. Friend was a Leicester City fan, who apparently was in the crowd the day we put 5 past Leicester at their place with Crouch scoring. Oliver is a Newcastle fan, and we all know how Newcastle fans feel about Villa. They have never got over the "Who's your next Messiah? Ant or Dec?" banner, or the "Sob on the tyne" banner. I wouldn't be shocked to hear Oliver holds a deep hatred for Villa. Think back, when has Oliver ever given a big decision in our favour? I can think of a few going against us over the years.

33 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

The same ref didn't give this less than a week ago

How is it any different? 

Wow, it is staggeringly similar. Shocking. 

What can Matty do differently to avoid the Pen? If the answer is NOTHING, then it should never be a penalty. If the rules say it should, the rules are wrong. How can you take agency out of the situation? You are effectively saying that it is entirely possible for the attacking team to engineer a penalty, and the defenders to concede one, through no fault of their own. Is there a definition of the word penalise that I'm not aware of, because to penalise someone there needs to have been an offence, no? 

Considering we are only 11 games into the season, that is at least two contentious penalties given against us already. The Crystal Palace one at Selhurst Park was a joke as well. PGMOL not fit for purpose!

Â