FA Cup 3rd round draw

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

When the time comes to be a Holte Ender in the sky, will you look back on a play off final against Bristol City or beating Man U in the FA Cup Final? 8 times, come on!!!!

I get your sentiment but sadly there is no way in hell we would beat Man utd in the FA Cup final.. especially with this current squad.

4 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I get your sentiment but sadly there is no way in hell we would beat Man utd in the FA Cup final.. especially with this current squad.

We did the last time we won it and were massive underdogs then. I’m dreaming I know,  but where’s the harm in that? :D

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DaveAV1 said:

Where’s the heart, the romance, the glory? If we can’t have both, then my heart says The Cup. I’ve seen us win everything but The FA Cup, the oldest and greatest cup competition in the world. Once your name is on it it’s there forever. Lift that famous old trophy, that we’ve had knicked more times than  SHA have won it, or fight for the glory of finishing in the middle of the Premier League?

I know promotion is the sensible, pragmatic choice, but who follows football for those reasons? Apart from accountants. Come on death or glory!! When the time comes to be a Holte Ender in the sky, will you look back on a play off final against Bristol City or beating Man U in the FA Cup Final? 8 times, come on!!!!

Down boy!

I loved this post.

love the passion

But unless we continually draw L1 & 2 teams till we have the honour of entertaining Exeter at Wemberley we have ZERO chance.

Lets get up first so that DrT can use his Trillions buying the 21st Century equivalent of

Rimmer/Spinks

Swain/Gidman

Aitken/Williams

McGrath/Laursen/Evans/McNaught/Melberg/Southgate & Ugo

Bremner/Sid/Mortimer/Morley/Daley/Taylor

Platt/Withe/Shaw/Yorke/Saunders/Atkinson & Benteke

A squad similar to that would go far and win more than just the FA Cup

11 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Where’s the heart, the romance, the glory? If we can’t have both, then my heart says The Cup. I’ve seen us win everything but The FA Cup, the oldest and greatest cup competition in the world. Once your name is on it it’s there forever. Lift that famous old trophy, that we’ve had knicked more times than  SHA have won it, or fight for the glory of finishing in the middle of the Premier League?

I know promotion is the sensible, pragmatic choice, but who follows football for those reasons? Apart from accountants. Come on death or glory!! When the time comes to be a Holte Ender in the sky, will you look back on a play off final against Bristol City or beating Man U in the FA Cup Final? 8 times, come on!!!!

As a relatively young fan who has never seen us win ANYTHING (wasn't following football in 94 or 96), I'd take winning the FA Cup over promotion any day. In fact I'd take the cup even if it meant spending another 10 years in the Championship.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mantis said:

As a relatively young fan who has never seen us win ANYTHING (wasn't following football in 94 or 96), I'd take winning the FA Cup over promotion any day. In fact I'd take the cup even if it meant spending another 10 years in the Championship.

Good man. I’m not so sure about the 10 years though! Sod it we can win the cup and get promoted!

25 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

Down boy!

I loved this post.

love the passion

But unless we continually draw L1 & 2 teams till we have the honour of entertaining Exeter at Wemberley we have ZERO chance.

Lets get up first so that DrT can use his Trillions buying the 21st Century equivalent of

Rimmer/Spinks

Swain/Gidman

Aitken/Williams

McGrath/Laursen/Evans/McNaught/Melberg/Southgate & Ugo

Bremner/Sid/Mortimer/Morley/Daley/Taylor

Platt/Withe/Shaw/Yorke/Saunders/Atkinson & Benteke

A squad similar to that would go far and win more than just the FA Cup

Oh come on GH, haven’t you heard? We have the finest manager in our history. It’ll be a breeze mate :D

League far, far higher priority than the cup this year. However I still like the old cup and I hope we get a reasonable turnout for the 3rd round- as remember clubs share the gate receipts. For a team like Woking if they get through sharing  a gate of 25,000 rather than 15,000 is a huge difference in cash. I would like to see a few changes like young O'hare and Doyes-Hayes given a run out. If its about £15 and its a 3 pm ko I will pop along to Villa Park for this. 

Related imageImage result for Aston villa 1957

The first, the last....my everything.

34 minutes ago, SirSteveUK said:

For the record 

1962/3

1976/7

2002/3

2003/4

2006/7

2007/8

All defeats of course

55 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

And lose to them.

1956/57

FA-Cup-Aston-Villa-1957-9.jpg

:flag:

38 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Ahh  Jumpers for Goalposts. 

25 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

And goalies barged over the goal line in order to score. Those were the days, men were men, etc.

I don't know how the match winner would get along these days

petermcparland1.jpg

He may have scored a brace that day but these days defenders would need one. (Ray Wood, the keeper that day, for all of six minutes. could attest to that)

The first player to score in and win both English major domestic knockout Finals.

Influenced by

Jimmy Hogan (1908).jpg

Appointed as manager in November 1936 following our first ever relegation. Within two seasons, he'd guided us back to the top flight.

If only if someone sharing his last name could follow his influence.

Yes, I know, anyone can read wikipedia

but not for long if we don't all donate it seems.

To wikipedia, not VIllatalk....although I'd advise all to do both...even though I've done neither....yet.

1 hour ago, SirSteveUK said:

For the record 

1962/3

1976/7

2002/3

2003/4

2006/7

2007/8

All defeats of course

Ah yes - but I doubt their fans remember even the scores from those games, whereas when we DO beat them - the Final in ‘57, the (albeit League Cup ) semi final in ‘70 And Final in ‘94, the games enter our folklore.

Id rather play Man United in a Cup Final with a chance of that than almost any other fixture I can think of.

Edited by terrytini