Premier league relegation watch 2017/18

VillaChris

Whichever three go down, it will be well deserved as this has to one of poorest seasons for the premier league. 

Barring the top six, the rest are woeful in quality and ability.

so much for the premier league being the best in the world.

My guesses will be Palace, West Brom (although don’t see Pulis lasting the season) and West Ham. 

Only saw the second half but Bournemouth were well on top and Newcastle were left with long ball rubbish at home. King seemed to have the bit back between his teeth and Wilson will only get better. The most important thing is that Howe doesn't have an ego problem. The Defoe signing is/was a huge mistake, but the fact he was relegated to the bench yesterday is a very positive sign. 

Swansea look in dire straights right now and Albion are plummeting, but Pulis. Big Sam sitting on the sidelines waiting for that 6 figure rescue job. I can't see Everton going down, too much quality and Unsworth seems to have put his foot down w.r.t. the prima-donna-ness that has infected that squad. It's very hard to pick 3 at this stage as the bottom half are going to lose so many points to the quality of the top 6 season that a low total will be required to stay up, probably only 33-34 points.

• Like 1

That's the thing with WBA. Even if they sack Pulis their squad is tailor made for Big Sam to come in and do his resuce act. Always surprised me with him being Dudley born he's never managed a Midlands club, we could've all done with him at some stage since 2010.

As good as it would be I'm discounting WBA on that basis.

Edited by VillaChris

Palace, West Ham with a Moyes double and Swansea - as it is now.  Boggies to just scrape out of it on the final day.  There will be another 4-5 sides flirting with the drop, but should have just enough to keep clear.  It's such a low standard outside the top 6 - real shame we dropped out.  Then again, we need to improve a fair bit to even be at the shit PL level.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2017 at 12:06, bobzy said:

Nope. Not sure if you saw either game, but Stoke battered Bournemouth - but lost. Newcastle should’ve beaten them yesterday (or whenever it was) rather than end up losing. Hit the post, goal harshly disallowed for offside, missed maybe 4 other good chances. It is the scoreline that matters, but Bournemouth have no spark. I think their first 20 minutes against Man City has been as well as they’ve played all season. Aside from that, in the “tight” games you mentioned, they got completely outplayed and created nothing. As I say, no spark.

Same with Swansea. Same with West Brom. The other sides have something special in them (Palace - Zaha, West Ham - Lanzini). Everton and Stoke should be strong enough to avoid a relegation battle. 

The only team I’d change would be Palace - purely because they’ve left themselves a lot to do after an easy-on-paper start to the season. Just got a gut feeling with them though....

Bournemouth 3-0 Huddersfield. :lol:

33 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Bournemouth 3-0 Huddersfield. :lol:

I know Wagner is man of the moment, but it’s  only Huddersfield. 

(fair play Callum Wilson, by the way - horrific luck with injuries. Good to see him back and scoring). 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I know Wagner is man of the moment, but it’s  only Huddersfield. 

(fair play Callum Wilson, by the way - horrific luck with injuries. Good to see him back and scoring). 

Yes good to see Wilson back, he's had wretched luck last 18 months.

Point I was trying to make though is once Bournemouth play more teams of Huddersfield's level rather than Arsenal, Chelsea, Man. City etc they'll pick up wins and move away from bottom 3.

Got Swansea, Burnley and Palace in next 3 weeks. Can see them being top half after that.

On 06/11/2017 at 21:27, VillaChris said:

That's the thing with WBA. Even if they sack Pulis their squad is tailor made for Big Sam to come in and do his resuce act. Always surprised me with him being Dudley born he's never managed a Midlands club, we could've all done with him at some stage since 2010.

As good as it would be I'm discounting WBA on that basis.

Didn't sam manage baggies in like 92?

On 11/18/2017 at 17:15, VillaChris said:

Yes good to see Wilson back, he's had wretched luck last 18 months.

Point I was trying to make though is once Bournemouth play more teams of Huddersfield's level rather than Arsenal, Chelsea, Man. City etc they'll pick up wins and move away from bottom 3.

Got Swansea, Burnley and Palace in next 3 weeks. Can see them being top half after that.

Better side against Swansea for sure, but should've lost (why on Earth was that goal disallowed?!). 

That said, Bournemouth probably are solid enough at the back to stay up so I think my prediction will be wrong.  I'll stick with it though, just in case ;)

(Bournemouth, Swansea and West Brom).

• Like 1

Totally random but I was thinking back to my first season properly following football (2001/02) and it's staggering how many of the clubs in the PL then are now in the Championship or League 1.

Us

Boro

Derby

Sunderland

Leeds

Charlton

Fulham

Ipswich

Bolton

Blackburn

Everton could be on their way down too. Most of these are pretty big clubs as well. Obviously size means nothing if performances and results aren't good enough but it does feel like there are more "smaller" clubs in the PL than there used to be.

On 11/6/2017 at 19:50, theboyangel said:

Whichever three go down, it will be well deserved as this has to one of poorest seasons for the premier league. 

Barring the top six, the rest are woeful in quality and ability.

so much for the premier league being the best in the world.

My guesses will be Palace, West Brom (although don’t see Pulis lasting the season) and West Ham. 

I agree with this and this is why if we go up i dont fear us being "whipping boys" with no FFA i think XIa will ensure funds are available to stay there. bit worried though as bruce has spunked some money poorly so far with the big transfer fee (hogan) 

i would also add i actually think wolves are better than a host of teams in the premier league. 

• Like 2

Most important thing to remember is we'd be planning in the premier league for first time in nearly a decade with a winning mentality in the squad as to get promoted you need to win nearly 30 games over a season.

That's why you see many promoted teams start well like Huddersfield and Brighton who have squads used to winning rather than likes of West Brom and West Ham that have been on awful runs for nearly a year.

Â